Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off Straddie Today

Re: Off Straddie Today

Well done Jason you got a good feed there mate and had shithouse conditions to deal with Can't wait to get back out on that Wave rider bouy and have another crack at those Mahi Mahi. This wind is really shitting me ATM.

Fisho8 we went to the waverider buoy and it was chock o block full of undersize rat kings. You could see some quite decent dollies underneath them but could not get a bait past them. They were crazy smashing everything that hit the water. I threw in a live slimey and they just smashed it to death without being able to swallow it. Maybe trolling might work?? We didnt try that!

Quote Originally Posted by 2IC View Post
    nice feed there Jason ,, I went around the top end for a look at about 8.30am but as you say it was a '' washing machine'' we turned around & stayed in the bay .. my crew wanted to go out but I said next time,, anyway mate well done
    Cheers Bill

Bill, I would have taken the young lads out and watched them go green in the gills, and then asked do you still want to stay out lol.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by the lump View Post
    Fisho8 we went to the waverider buoy and it was chock o block full of undersize rat kings. You could see some quite decent dollies underneath them but could not get a bait past them. They were crazy smashing everything that hit the water. I threw in a live slimey and they just smashed it to death without being able to swallow it. Maybe trolling might work?? We didnt try that!
    Yeah I have a couple of Halco matchstick lures I would not mind trying near it to see what hit them I have another couple to I want to try which are a silver colour like a pillie.

Just near shag rock I saw a couple of fish cruising on the surface with dorsal and tails out of the water that I swear were big cobia. Unfortunately we were doing 20 knots at the time and the skipper didnt see them until they exploded and went under. Turned for a look but they were gone.
    Mate they would have been small black marlin, not cobia

hey jase,

well done in those conditions, thats a great feed. after that are thinking of upgrading.

well done

cheers

brett

Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post

hey anthony

mate of mine got a 5 foot malrlin at the 29's the other week on a soft plastic

cheers

brett

Mate I dont think they were marlin. You could see the triangular spikes in front of the dorsal fin.

Well I know over 30 small balcks have been hooked off the Gold Coast in the past two days by less than a handful of boats... But maybe they were cobia.. But if you could see the small spikes on their back at 20 knots it must have been flat and your eyes are a bloody lot better than mine unless you almost run over them lol

Well I know over 30 small balcks have been hooked off the Gold Coast in the past two days by less than a handful of boats... But maybe they were cobia.. But if you could see the small spikes on their back at 20 knots it must have been flat and your eyes are a bloody lot better than mine unless you almost run over them lol

Yep your right Anthony. It was a Marlin and I was really off the gold coast not straddie and my eyesight is crap.

Yep your right Anthony. It was a Marlin and I was really off the gold coast not straddie and my eyesight is crap.
    No i was just admitting mine are crap and I wouldn't be able to see spikes on the back of a fishes head at 20knots... Anyways sorry Mr serious

Let me guess.....you've got a lure recommendation to catch these mysterious fish?