Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Snapper Red Throat Emperor from Break Sea Spit area Novemeber 2012

Marlin Snapper Red Throat Emperor from Break Sea Spit area Novemeber 2012

Well a short break in the weather was all we needed to make a quick pre fish trip to the top of Fraser area before the M&G in a few weeks time. I gave Dave (Tinshack) a call and he was keen to tak ehis boat across to the spit from Bundy. We met at the ramp at 0200hrs with no wind present and calm seas. The 50 mile run across to the spit was very enjoyable at a steady 20 knots in the dark. We arrived at the 13 mile crossing to find the bar dead flat, so the trip across it to the eastern side was a breeze. After a quick briefing on what we should try to catch a billfish, the lures were put in and the trolling begun. It was under 4 minutes when we got the first hookup, a black marlin took the skirt in the short corner position and steamed off towards the horizon. After a spectacular fight with many jumps and quick runs the fish was tagged boat side and then after a quick photo it was released in great condition. This was Dwanes first ever marlin and to get it in under 5 minutes of trolling tagged and back in the water before 0500hrs had us all very excited to say the least.
    The lures were reset and the next hookup came about 40 minutes later, another black marlin taking the long corner lure this time, a repeat process for Spud on strike and high fives allround after his first billie was released after another quick picture for his billie capture also.
    By this time Dave had not had a strike, so he came back to the area we had got our two hookups and about an hour later they had a double hookup on Small blacks, MAHAM!!! Dave old man unfortunately dropped his billie just near the boat side and Dave landed his to get a quick picture and once again join the billfish club... Happy days... His radio message was very entertaining....
    We dicided to troll over a couple of pinnicals that we had found previously over there and decided on a quick bottom fish on the top of the tide to avoid the run. We drifted and caught some nice red throat emperors to 4kg, a couple of snapper, some mouri cods, a few hussar, coronation trout and the tasty gold spot wrasse and venus tusk fish. We hooked a lot of nice fish, but unfortunately the sharks liked them and took quiet a few before we could get them up.
    After a few hours of drift fishing we had a nice feed so it was agreed to put the lures back out for another hour before making the trip back to Bundy before the wind increased that was forcasted to come in late afternoon. After 15 minutes of trolling back to the bar area, our third marlin was hooked up and jumping madly out the back. Unfortunately it threw the hook before I could get the other rods cleared.
    We then decided to head to the shallows of the Spit bommie hoping for a spanish but unfortunately with only one stike on the minnow lure we did not get any other interest. It was then time to head for home, as the wind could be felt to be picking up from the north north west around 10-15 knots. We set the etec in gear and made the trip home at 22knots with the wind increasing within the first hour to 20knots. The sea was side on so the trip home was quiet comfortable considering the sea conditions.
    Dave and Len had a great day, with their bottom bashing efforts returning them some nice fish including a red of 10kgs...
    So all in all, a great day trip to the Break Sea Spit by a couple of little trailer boats, catching and releasing Black marlin and landing some quality reef fish for the dinner plates. Thanks Dave for making the run over with us, hoepfully we can do it again real soon. Cheers Kev.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terry Allwood with his first Black Marlin.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	85707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110199.jpg 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	85708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110198.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	85709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110158.jpg 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	85710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mixed reef fish catch Break Sea Spit Nov 2012.jpg 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	85711  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwane Austerberry with two nice Snapper.jpg 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	85712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwane Austerberry with his first black marlin that he released.jpg 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	85713  

Re: Marlin Snapper Red Throat Emperor from Break Sea Spit area Novemeber 2012

mate that is awesome, I cant wait three weeks to get there

please please please let mother nature to be kind to us

cheers Murf

Nice work Kev and crew....allright now come the questions.....What size boat..motor... distance travelled....and fuel used . Trying to calculate for the m&g.
    Cheers Perry

Daves pictures to prove he was there too :-)
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	David Maclean with a Black Marlin.jpg 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	85721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	David Maclean with a 10kg Red Emperor.jpg 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	85722  

Quote Originally Posted by madmackrel View Post
    Nice work Kev and crew....allright now come the questions.....What size boat..motor... distance travelled....and fuel used . Trying to calculate for the m&g.
    Cheers Perry
    Well each boat is very different, I used 105litres to travel from Bundy to the Spit, 50 nautical miles, 6.2mt heavy old Pride with 200hp etec, Dave used 52 litres in his 5.75mt with 100hp yammy fourstroke same distance and conditions, I used 12litres an hour trolling and an average of 43 litres an hour travelling out and back at 20-22knots. I did about 130 nautical miles on this trip including about 5 hours trolling and motoring between drifts, so I guess I used a total of 290litres this trip (haven't filled back up yet). I had 450 litres on board incase we trolled all day or chased the wahoo down at the shoals which at 12knots uses 20litres an hour... I think Dave did his whole trip for under 140litres, verses mine at 290 litres so as I said every boat would be different... Just take as much as you can carry and go hard........

Kev what a great report,, as murf said roll on the M&G & hope huey looks after us, the photo of the billie with the sunrise behind just great ,, man I just want to get up there

Top report Kev. Plenty to keep everyone happy up there with the billies, smaller pelagics and reefies all lurking in those waters
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

That's an excellent report.
    You had a good camera to get that shot of the marlin jumping.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mark

Love the photo of the jumping marlin- great shot!

Thanks for the report kev, what a fantastic day. God i hope the weather is good for the m&g up there!

Thanks Kev for that info will help a lot for calculating how much fuel ill need, cant wait.
    Cheers Perry

Thanks for the report and fantastic pics Kev. What a magic day.
    I had a full debrief yesterday from Dave and he was still buzzing after fishing such a fantastic spot and catching his first Billy.

Cheers Brett

Hey guys, well what an experience to run out to breakseaspit 90km’s offshore in your own trailer boat, great conditions, with a guy(Kev – Marvin) as a guide who knows the place like the back of his hand! The knowledge shared by Kev was beyond what Icould have expected, thanks mate.

Before the mention of the Roonies M&G I didn’t even owna skirt lure let alone know how to use them. Kev showed us how to rig them, how to position them, what speed, whereto go, how to cross the bar, this was all new to me.

This is one place I would not want to be if the weatherturned bad, 5m of water on a bar crossing with heaps of tidal run & strongwinds would be a recipe for disaster, weather needs to be exceptional toventure out here & some experience of the area helps as well.

Awesome place, can troll for marlin then go just 5kmsfurther east & pinnacles everywhere, great reef fishing, we lost a lot offish to sharks. It was hard to come downof such a high so went & spent another few hundred bucks on more fishinggear, Kev look what have you created!!

Kev, thanks for a memorable trip, awesome photo’s, can’twait for the next marlin adventure.

Fuel figures as follows for F115 Yammy 4/;

Cruise 22-24knts 21 –25 L/hr

Troll 5-7 knts 7 - 8.2 L/hr

245km’s travelled, 140 L used, very happy with new motor.

Great report and thanks for the detailed info. Great shot of the billie! I'm salavating
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Top report Kev,one the best in a long time.
    I have heard the black marlin are going off up there and have been following reports of them slowly making there
    way down our way off the goldy.I haven't been the first to say that this year is the year we have been waiting for where the small blacks make an appearance.
    I have been trying to get up off the breaksea since being up there for the first with Greg.
    Cheers Mick