Thread: tackel and rod storage in the boat

tackel and rod storage in the boat

Hi all i have just come back from a weekend trip to eurimbula creek which has a rough track to get in to and snaped a good rod.
    Im wondering what other people do for rod storage on these sort of trips?
    i have a 4.5m seajay which has open flat deck so usually i just lay the rods on the floor with a towel around them i now no this is not good enough. however as you do you tend to need more and more rods and more expensive gear, like 15 or so rods for 3 people how do u make sure they get there in one piece?

also one other storage question i have is on these trips you could be targeting any anything from whiting to barra to mackeral offshore. what tackel storage do others use? i am using trays for lures and some of them fit in my pvc electrical bag but the boat just ends up looking like a ransaked tackel shop by the end of the day.

i often listen to pro anglers at shows and try to imagin the gear and rods they are taking on trips. some say they have three or four rods riged and ready to use depending on which lure they wish to put into that particular situation.
    How do they fit this in the boat?
    please if any one has any sugestions or pictures of what they do id love to know
    cheers brenno

Re: tackel and rod storage in the boat

Brenno

My little boat, I have a set of vertical rod racks that mount to the front of the console, that I use to store rods when out on the water. When traveling on the road, I bring them into the dual cab or if there isn't room, the get put into a downpipe tube(s) and strapped to the racks or into the tub. Tackle is stored in a soft or hard tackle box on the boat, but I will usually rig up what I want to use and if that is changed, I have some single sided foam strip (from Clarks Rubber) that is stuck to the side of the console and also to a vertical surface in the rear. This allows me to quickly put the hooks/lures directly into that and they stay there away from harm and within easy reach to be reused. I leave them there until I get home, where they are washed, dried and return to the tackle box. This also keeps the saltwater away from the tackle box and avoids rusting the rest of the tackle out.

My other boat has vertical and horizontal rod holdser so I use them on the water and the horizontal ones when travelling. Whenever the rods don't fit, then I travel with them in the ute or tub in tubes or loose. Tackle is stored as above except I have a suction cup tackle caddy that sticks to the side of the console that holds all hook/lures that have been used untill they get home and get washed.

I have a mate who fishes solo a fair bit and uses velcro to hold his rods down to his carpet casting foredeck when travelling. That seems to work really well.

Steve

thanks for the detailed post, i like the foam idea wil be get on to that one. i do have rod tubes but the part of seting up and packing away annoys me i guess im a bit lazy i no they should be put in there lol. im thinking of some sort of horizontal rod holder or if i could afford it a rod locker built in.

I guess I am one of those weird buggers that do not like storing or carrying pre rigged rods and reels. The only rods that I carry pre-rigged are my Gamefishing outfits. All the rest (for whatever trip I am going on - be it estuary, bay, freshwater dam, or jungle/mountain stream, or beach....I assemble and rig up when i get there. It might take a few minutes more...but it means my gear arrives in one piece. (have to admit i am getting lazier now i live 5 minutes from the water - but any trip that requires significant travel - old rules apply).

Rod locker is your answer.