Thread: 'New' Pillies Are Useless

'New' Pillies Are Useless

The blocks of pillies that I bought just recently have been a completely different type, they are deeper, have harder scales and when cut open, smell 'odd'. Seems that the only fish that are interested in them are the toados and butterfish.
    I remember some 20 odd years ago, the tuna farmers of South Australia importing hundreds of tonnes of, I think, california pillies to feed the tuna stocks. Apparently, these pillies had some virus that decimated the WA pillies. From memory, these 'new pillies' are identical.
    I noticed that on the plastic bags, the letters WA Pilchards is missing.
    What the heck is happening?

Re: 'New' Pillies Are Useless

Yeah I can recall that also Bobby, that was exactly the time I started buying IQF. I think some of the cheap blocks now come from Indonesia?
    Generally I don't use a lot of pillies so buying IQF isn't too much of an issue, but I can see if you're using several blocks and burleying with them etc the price difference would add up.
    Cheers.

Those Indo Pilchards are not as good as WA's by a long shot
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

From Indonesia, hey?? Well, I will NOT be buying any more. Going to mince what's left of the last lot and use it for burley.

The best pilchards are IQF WA Sardines for human consumption. We buy a 10kg box for $35 from the fish wholesalers. It may be worth getting on the phone and seeing if you can track some down up your way.

the pro trouters use the tougher Indo Pillies as they stay on the hook better with pickers around, if you use the WA soft tasty ones that fish prefer your bait is gone before you get to the bottom. Depends where you are fishing but I hear the argument for imported and diseased fish

cheers Murf

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    the pro trouters use the tougher Indo Pillies as they stay on the hook better with pickers around, if you use the WA soft tasty ones that fish prefer your bait is gone before you get to the bottom. Depends where you are fishing but I hear the argument for imported and diseased fish

cheers Murf
    Not the ones I mentioned Murf. The're big and tough and stay on the hook well until a 20 lb plus snapper takes them although you've never had that pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    Not the ones I mentioned Murf. The're big and tough and stay on the hook well until and 20 lb plus snapper takes them although you've never had that pleasure.
    Waiting for the invite.
    Shawn

Boony had some pretty good looking Pillies (among other things ) at the Agnes/1770 M & G. I wonder where he got them from?
    Jim

I had three 4 kg boxes on Frazer they do stay on the hooks better , I put some in a worm bag and trod on them again and again had trouble breaking them! We caught a few tailor on them but difficult to judge if they r worse that wa pillies???

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Waiting for the invite.
    Shawn
    Are you good looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    Are you good looking?
    Umm no.
    Shawn