Thread: Which Rods and maybe reels

Which Rods and maybe reels

Hi folks I need some advice please. I'm just getting back into fishing after a 12 year break and my previous experience was pretty much chasing Barra in the NT rivers so its quite limited. I've just returned back to the Sunny Coast, bought myself a nice tinny (445 Horizon Gulf) and plan to head a little offshore on good days in it as well as in the estuary's etc.

Over the last few moves my rods vanished including a cherished Loomis but that's that and now I need to look forward. Fortunately my reels are still with me and I'm looking for some help if I may in pairing rods and line to them which will be suitable for the fishing Im likely to find in the rivers and near offshore of the Sunny Coast. The pic below shows what I have which are, Im hoping some of these may be useful.

Abu Garcia Ambassador 6500C3 (x2)
    Shimano Calcutta 400
    Penn 700 Egg Beater
    TLD 25

Im assuming at a minimum I will need another reel and rod as a second trolling rig to the TLD?? If so what would be your suggestions.

Do I need specific bottom bouncing outfits?

Couple smaller setups for the rivers, will the Calcutta and Abu's be Ok?

Apologies for the newbie questions and thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Really appreciated.

Re: Which Rods and maybe reels

Well been doing some research and went and looked at a lot of rods and reels and got somewhat confused but this is where I am now.

Load the TLD up with heavy mono and fit to a 15-24kg rod for trolling. Buy a similar set up for the other side of the boat. Outfits are on special at BCF $199

Buy a Diawa Sol 4000 and matching rod, load with braid to go chase tuna by flicking metal lures

Buy a Shimano 1200 OC Baitrunner combo as a bottom bouncer and spare outfit for a visitor.

Keep the Calcutta for chasing Jack's in the canals and rivers.

Does that sound like a good start or am I already getting carried away?

Sounds like a plan to me. I would drop the Baitrunner at the moment and grab a Stradic 5000 rather than a Sol if spinning is your main aim.
    The Abu's will be fine in the canals. Drop a new set of drag washers (aftermarket upgrade) in them and away you go
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hi.
    Dunno about the eggbeaters. I don't use them.

But. I have a coupla 6500c3's too.

With update washers. and Stainless pinion from UK.
    They equivalent of any other.
    I use them for beach casting lures on 7 ft Super Barra.
    and tóther for Jigging up to 15lb line.
    PS I also run Daiwa 250 Black sheep\SW203. and coupla Tica. Calcutta's too.
    So not biased.
    For a choice of rods.
    Go to Ebay.
    Look for "pelagic"fishing rods. CHinese. but hey.
    I'm using a couple alongside my Live Fibre and Jigging sticks.
    No Difference in feel or action. and a fraction of price..
    I bought them out of inquisitiveness. and very impressed.
    On the spine and better finish than a lot here. No bull.
    Boated a 32kg Cobia earlier this yr. with a 6ft 6 version and my Daiwa Saltiga 40 on it.
    Another one. Would be perfect for your 25. cost me $49 delivered. I'm running it with a Penn Torque 200.
    And they equal to to the reels.
    Coupla nice jiggers in there too. plus eggbeater sticks and beach rods too.

Give them a try. Can't hurt. Specially at the price. I have 4 now.
    But I stick with the Composites. and stay away from the carbon ones...

regards