Thread: ideal length of rope for sandies in moreton bay

ideal length of rope for sandies in moreton bay

Okay guys what length should i make my ropes for my crab pots. Using ex telstra rope

Re: ideal length of rope for sandies in moreton bay

i use 12 mtrs on all my pots mate,use lead every 3-4mts to sink the rope.icrab in water between 2-9 mtrs with this length and dont have a problem but i use heavy pots 1mtr round and 10mm rings

It depends on where you intend to drop them. The deepest parts of Moreton Bay are somewhere around 35 metres.

I will often drop mine in 15 metres so, given that the rope won't go down vertically in a current, I would recommend that you need double that, at least if the current is running in that depth of water.

It also depends on the weight of your crab pots. The el cheapo ones that you can buy at places like BCF don't take much of a current to float away under the support of your float. I use heavy framed Crab'n'gear pots and they tend to stay where I leave them.

i run 10 foot of rope from the pot to a spliced loop. i have 6 foot of rope from my float to a shark clip. fishing creeks or shallows i clip the float rope onto the pot rope. i also have 4 coils of 60 feet with clips on 1 end and spliced loop on the other which when inserted between the pot and float ropes makes it quick and easy to change from shallow to deep and vice versa. clips add extra weight as a bonus too.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

i have ropes ranging from 5 metres to 60 metres,

U will find using 15 m ropes in 4 metres of water a pain in the backside,

work out what depth u want to crab in then make up ropes from there, go and buy some sharkclips and simple from there to have ropes, floats and pots all separate,

Thanks everyone. Especially Rosco1974, you are all very generous with your knowledge