Thread: strike drag setting

strike drag setting

Hi all,

Correct me if I'm wrong but your strike setting should be 1/3 of the line strength?

When your setting it should that be directly off the reel or off the rod tip with the rod being flexed?

I'm not even sure if it would make any difference to the KG's of drag but figure It's worth asking anyway.

Cheers Dave

Re: strike drag setting

Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

The drag should be set using scales with a slow pull of line through the rod tip in a normal working curve. The friction over the runners does make a difference.

Thanks for the Info.

Dave

I don't always set mine as high as 1/3 especially when trolling baits or minnows. I find a lot less pulled hooks on strike if the fish can turn and run after the strike
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Horse,

Good point mate, With a lever drag reel I would rather set the "strike" at 1/3 and just have the lever in a lower position less aggressive position. Just give me a better Idea how much I have on, plus lets you know that the "sunset position" will bust you off if needed.

would you agree or do you set strike on a lower weight?

thanks for your input..
    Dave

When trolling for smaller game fish I seldom run more than 6kg at thestrike stopper even though I'm running 24kg mainline. If using small hooks in a livebait I then run the drag well short of this for strike
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

ALWAYS set your drags off the rod tip. I prefer to use a 'strike' type of motion rather than a steady pull..as this better simulates the forces that occur when a fish hits. (it also gives you a better idea of how smooth your drag is). The friction through the runners is quite considerable on strike. 'Sticky' drags can be quite an issue, especially on lighter lines. This is where the force required to get the drag to 'let go' is a lot greater than it is once the drag is 'moving'. A lot easier to explain in person than in print!!!

Greg

I like to troll with braid, so lighter strike drag settings will be OK, even though I set higher than most people, BUT, I have very good drags on my trolling reels and very sharp hooks.

The biggest variable in all of this is the target species.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNkelly View Post
    Hi all,

Correct me if I'm wrong but your strike setting should be 1/3 of the line strength?

When your setting it should that be directly off the reel or off the rod tip with the rod being flexed?

I'm not even sure if it would make any difference to the KG's of drag but figure It's worth asking anyway.

Cheers Dave
    Some good info above. regarding strike setting - if your trolling and using mono i think it's (1/3 breaking strain) a good start. It depends on style of fishing and target species as well. If your spinning and chasing large reefies in coral or mangrove jack it would be much higher...

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I don't always set mine as high as 1/3 especially when trolling baits or minnows. I find a lot less pulled hooks on strike if the fish can turn and run after the strike
    How do you know what one third is?

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    How do you know what one third is?
    with a set of scales.

and a calculator ..... lol

The 10% recommendation would chuck the 1/3 setting out in most cases.