Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somerset Redclaw

Somerset Redclaw

I read in a local magazine (Sunshine Coast) today that "Somerset Dam is lousy with red claw".
    I am very doubtful about this. I read a report a couple of weeks ago on this forum that indicated redclaw were rather scarce. Maybe there has been an upsurge in activity ?

Has anyone any recent reports from there or Borumba?
    Cheers,
    kercus

Re: Somerset Redclaw

somerset is crawling with redclaw, i have never seen them as thick as this year, we have been getting average 10 per pot in a couple of hours. and sometimes 15.

Captain Rednut,
    Thank you. We will probably go up there next week,
    Cheers,
    kercus

Mate they can go a bit funny sometimes and they just shut down...but my mate reckones they are absolutley going off and as what rednut said. I had great success in the river to....When wivanhoe is on its a great place to crab. and crap loads of catfish for bait.

Just wondering, what depth do you normally set your pots in. Help much appreciated.

Cheers, Rob

about 8 to 10 ft mate bait varys from catfish to meat to mellon to pears....go hard

give Taff a call at the somerset dam shop..drop in and get one of the best burgers going around and he will give u a good update on the claw and bas, hes one of best mates.

Usually 4 to 7 metres.
    kercus

Depth does vary, I wish however those mongrels in boats skiing stay well away from people who are fishing and / or redclawing.

Bait, if you want redclaw only then use rockmelon, half cooked spud or pure sunlight soap, yeah you heard and read correctly, pure sunlight soap.

If you want other specimens apart from redclaw then use meat by all means. meat attracts other fish and pests. Been there, done that now only use rockmelon.

Bondy

yey bondy those waters rats are a bastard , used to throw my pots along the river there and got them pretty regulary, didnt mind pulling up the pots tho and getting a heap of livies ......A guy did real well on pears out there recently , wonder if pears would work on mudcrabs? and rockmelon etc

Yey lol bondy i used to lose it when im flicking for bass on the edges and some idiot in a jetski who has the whole bloody lake screams 10 of the back of you...or the half cabin with the family towing people behind coming way to close , after the 3rd time the irish german comes out in me and i start to holler...they usualy go away after a earful with a "Hes mad " look on his face, Like most people on here fishing is therepy to me and cant stand my little bubble of piece and quiet gets popped by people with no respect. lol

Captain, I am heading up there on Tuesday for a few days and staying at Kirklee. I am getting different reports. Could you please point me in the right direction. We usually head up towards the powerlines but am open to trying new areas. Thanks, Sean.

My Rehab,
    Three of us went to Kirkleigh last Monday(5th) and returned yesterday(8th). Our total catch was 100 redclaw of good average size from 12 pots. Virtually none during the day.

People we spoke to were blaming the cold water and the share farmers.
    Cheers,
    kercus

Kercus,
    Thanks very much for the info. Will see how we go, looks like great weather anyway.

Thanks, Sean.

MY REHAB,
    How did you go with the redclaw?
    Cheers,
    kercus