Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Somerset Redclaw

Re: Somerset Redclaw

Kercus,

We did not do very well. 3 of us up there for 3 days and only came home with 60. We tried everywhere, talking to the other people up there they were not getting many either. They were all saying the water was to cold. Should be a bit warmer now though.

Is there a better, more productive time of day?

Darren

we went 2 weekends back didnt do well fishing but did see some good bass caught, fair few skiiers and we ended up with probably 150ish red claw for the 3 days... only managed 9 during day time the rest where caught after leaving over night..
    cheers scott

BARRAkid,
    Well done with the redclaw. At least you got a feed. What bait? depth?
    Cheers,
    kercus

those pesky jet skiers should stay in their allocated area, one gave us a hard time when we were restng in a boat checking our traps, should have slowed down and not go like a bat out of hell.

Kerkus,

Depth various depending on water temp and vegetation. best bait is rock melon, pure sunlight soap and half boiled spud, either one of those but woiuld not rely on pure sunlight soap on its own.

If you use flesh bait then be prepared to catch juevenile fish and vermin.

Cheers, Bondy
    Last edited by mod2; 07-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.

G`day Mate, we were at Borumba last weekend and the redclaw were very scarce but may improve as the water warms up...cheers

kercus we where using rockmelon mostly but also some can sardine and sweet potato we put them in anything from 1.5m two 9m catching them in all but they definatly had to be left over night.we only ran the pots in the right hand side of the dam if you are looking down the ramp and started putting them down atlest 2km from the ramp

Haven't been out for a couple of months but set the pots late yesterday afternoon. very windy conditions made it lumpy in a small craft so I set within 800-900mtrs of The Spit. Pulled them in this morning....................
    Numbers are down on last year yes but the size is very impressive! A good haul of 60+ reddies with a good number of real saddle backs amongst them.
    All set in 3.5 - 7.0mtrs, will smoke up nicely this arvo!!

I am heading upto Somerset in a couple of weeks (first time) and was wondering what are the best pots/traps to use? I have a couple of bat traps (rectangular in shape with entry/exit hole in either end), will these be ok or are the opera house style better?

Cheers,
    Go Gecko

"I have a couple of bat traps (rectangular in shape with entry/exit hole in either end), will these be ok or are the opera house style better?"
    Bat traps big no-no they trap and drown turtles have a look at fishing regs re use and type of traps that are legal in Qld.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gecko View Post
    I am heading upto Somerset in a couple of weeks (first time) and was wondering what are the best pots/traps to use? I have a couple of bat traps (rectangular in shape with entry/exit hole in either end), will these be ok or are the opera house style better?

Cheers,
    Go Gecko
    Are you talking about the light mesh "Bait" traps with the small circular entrance on each end? If so, they will catch you tiny fish and maybe a few shrimp. Ive used them a few times to catch fish for my fish tanks, but never caught any crays in one.
    I believe there is a size limit on the entrances also, as Ray said check out the rules and regs
    Get yourself some opera house traps from Rays Outdoors or the like. They are cheap, 4 for about $25 normally. They work great
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Thanks guys, yeah that was a typo - it should read bait traps. I will do the right thing and go get some opera house traps.

Cheers,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gecko View Post

Cheers,
    Go Gecko
    I would appreciate a report when you get back. We intend to go to Somerset some in March. Hope you do well.

Cheers,
    kercus

I am going to Somerset Dam chasing redclaw on the 12th (next week) for a few days. I'd be grateful for any recent reports.

Cheers,
    kercus