Thread: Tinaroo Dam Barra & red Claw advice??

Tinaroo Dam Barra & red Claw advice??

Hi All,

I'm looking at going up to tinaroo dam for a few days camping and I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the best method and location to catch a barra or two in there?
    I've been up there before and the only fish I landed was in a red claw pot and I didn't get any red claw.

So can someone please tell me a tried and tested method of catching barra in the Dan and also what bait to use or if flicking lures is the best option?

Also what is the best bait for catching a red claw or 20, from memory I used dog biscuits last time with not much luck..

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

Re: Tinaroo Dam Barra & red Claw advice??

Hey mate, are you on Facebook? If you are look for "World Record Barra Tackle". He has a shop in Yungaburra. Call in there or give him a call before hand. He will be able to give you the heads up on lures and general locations.

If you're not on facebook go to http://www.worldrecordbarra.com.au/ all his details are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavley View Post
    Hey mate, are you on Facebook? If you are look for "World Record Barra Tackle". He has a shop in Yungaburra. Call in there or give him a call before hand. He will be able to give you the heads up on lures and general locations.

If you're not on facebook go to http://www.worldrecordbarra.com.au/ all his details are there.
    sweet thanks

At his time of year the yabbies should be in shallow as there will be a thermocline and the bottom of the lake will have no Oxygen. Vary your depths to see where they are but I wouldn't be surprised if they will be feeding in less than 2 metres. Use a decent spotlight and squid net at night to catch some fresh livies along the bank. You should get enough Mouth Almighties this way and during the day you can catch them with a whiting style set up and some steak or worms. Fish the livies mid water in depths ranging from 6 to 15 feet in. Areas that don't drop away too quickly. Research Bay where the DPI pump is a good example.
    If you are going to troll, stick to the same depths and use all the usual suspects for big Barra. Squidgies work well.