Thread: to the gold coast fisho's!

to the gold coast fisho's!

After reading the recent threat in the offshore reports about one bloke tangling up with a kitesurfer got me thinking about currumbin bar.
    with all the stand up paddle boarders becoming more and more common (especially in currumbin creek) how long will it be untill one of them gets seriously injured or killed by a boat? for anyone who knows currumbin its extremely shallow and on low tide (or if u have a larger boat) the channel is tight.
    i had so many close call with paddle boarders last mackeral season it wasnt funny, there is NO room to manoeuvre or slow down.
    yet under maritime law we are supposed to give way to them.
    any thoughts???

Re: to the gold coast fisho's!

a bar entrance should be treated like a road or beach where 4x4's are permitted to drive, pedestrians/ humans should have to give way
    only ignorant people get in the way when they should be on the lookout for boats in that situation

Common sense would suggest they should stay out of the way to boat traffic where boats are restricted in maneuverability eg narrow channel/bar.
    My suggestion to best cover yourself legally would be to sound a horn for a least 3 seconds (one prolonged blast) to warn then you are about to head out/in. In open waters or where conditions permit give way to them is the safest option.
    You can buy hand operated Air horns from whitworths etc.
    If anything should happen at least you can say you put out a warning before you crossed the bar.
    Regards
    Richo

Yep, this year will be the worst by far. Stand up padlers everywhere in Currumbin Creek and most of them learners. Unfortunately most of them are not aware of the possible danger involved and think you should go around them when they are in the only channel available.

Wont be long before someone gets hurt.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

richo1- good point, just wondering if id need to get a flag also aswell (ball diamond ball) from memory. ive dead set come within a meter of some of these paddle boarders

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    richo1- good point, just wondering if id need to get a flag also aswell (ball diamond ball) from memory. ive dead set come within a meter of some of these paddle boarders
    May as well get red and blue flashing lights if you want it to mean anything to them.... how many padlers ya recon know the rules of the road (sea)
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Wouldn't worry about any shapes or flags, just a good long blast and they will at least know your coming. As Above, they wouldn't have a clue - load noise has a better effect

Mate its the same up the seaway when the surfs good over on stradie. early mornings.... the surfers making their way across the seaway and their laying down and the sun in your eyes. im really surprised no ones been run over...

Yep it sure will be havoc if the channel stays where it is right now thru The Alley. The sand build up north of the groyne has to be seen to be believed and no real beach channel thru Laceys anymore.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    Mate its the same up the seaway when the surfs good over on stradie. early mornings.... the surfers making their way across the seaway and their laying down and the sun in your eyes. im really surprised no ones been run over...
    They have - numerous times. Saw it at least twice in the early 90's when on duty with AVCGA. Usually just on sun rise was fine, it actually seemed to happen as the sun was starting to get up a bit and the glare increased.

I gave up using Currumbin and use Tally,can be bad, but not as many surfers and not far across the bar.Just the fishos on the end of the groin with lines out to tangle the prop.

yet when someone hits one of these surfers or paddle boarders is the worst bloke in the world....

There bloody everywhere up here and i was talking to my cousin he was all excited "im gunna get a paddleboard" and i said why? is it like school and the cool thing to do now? your a mug mate. He asked why and i said "mate whats the point of it , u cant surf on most of them..u cant troll u stnd up and float around like a derro, i said get a kayak same work out carry more stuff and go quicker , i mean seriously standing on a mal with a shitty little paddle annoying everyone..i mean what a RUSH, THE ONLY EXCTING THING WOULD BE WHEN A BOAT WENT PAST AND U RODE THE SWELL....LOL.

sry to any paddle boarders out there but what a boring derro sport you do.....just my thoughts.