Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caught my 1st Kitesurfer today!!

Re: Caught my 1st Kitesurfer today!!

25 knots is crap fishing weather anyway. Maybe you should buy a kite!

Quote Originally Posted by death_ship View Post
    25 knots is crap fishing weather anyway. Maybe you should buy a kite!
    And it was crap! Seabreeze didn't exactly get it right, again. Contacted Noosa Coastguard today & their understanding of the rules is the kitesurfers have to give way, as the sign at the river mouth said before it was removed. They said it is really a boating & fisheries issue, so I contacted them today, & they agreed. He was fine, laughing about it, until I told him I took to his kit with a knife. He said that is now a marine incident & should have been reported within 48 hours to MSQ, which I tried to do Saturday but they are shut of a weekend, so I have to go up tomorrow & file an marine incident report with the fisheries, & they will lodge it with MSQ.
    I'll let you know the outcome, if any.
    Tony

WAF's for short - Wind Assisted F@$kwits

Wouldn't stress about the MSQ incident outcome too much, we had one last Easter ( we were in the right) and reported it the other boat did not report it. MSQ came out, but did not interview the other passengers onboard at the time. Got a letter about it the other day,the outcome 16 months later was no case to answer, keep a lookout etc.

Cost me excess for repairs as the other boat left the scene, we had rego but not driver details, insurance didn't want to know, MSQ interviewed the oth driver so they were able to get the drive details but insurance couldn't or more appropriately wouldn't.

fez

I'd be very wary of formally reporting a incident without first getting advice. Not sure how it works in QLD. If it doesn't limit your defence at a later stage if you needed one I wouldn't. I'm a WAF but in yachts racing weekly and there has been some really weird results from out racing and incidents. We set a limit if no one was hurt and no more than 10% or $5000 damage was involved that we don't as a general rule. Read up on exactly needs reporting in your case as they have a general blanket to report everything down here but they are just doing it to collect stastics and allowing insurers to use it as a excuse to avoid or delay claims if rule of law wasn't followed. The fine print is different to what the phone jockeys tell ya- they must get a bonus for more reports recieved or something.

The fisheries bloke said the main reason for lodging an incident is in case the frenchman got my rego & decided to pursue it. He said as damage had occured, albeit only to a fools equipment, insurance could be involved & the insurance companies first question would be when was a marine incident form filed, & if not filed, they would walk away from it.
    We were on the bar for 3-4 minutes, with about 100 people watching from shore, with a further 20 or so kite surfers everywhere, plenty of time for someone to make note of my rego or boat name(my boat is fairly large & distinctive)
    I'm leaning toward forgetting about seeing fisheries today as I can't see it achieving anything. If nothing has occured as yet, I doubt it will.
    No doubt if the frog is out there next time I cross, he'll give me a wide berth!!
    Tony

Yeah I'm trying hard to think of a claim that could be made that the insurer would cover anyway. especially one worth the excess and worth the other blokes costs lodgement and enforcement of a civil claim against you. The stupidity of it is your biggest risk is of being fined fo not lodging a report and they only do that after someone else has done all the legwork and proved their case in our yacht racing and then tally it up as a win on their stastistis . I can tell you one thing after hearing the stories of various cases get ruled on maratime law is so different to normal law and what is writen in the boat lic rules the results can be very strange. The law is not always common sense
    Not sure if teh public can see this thread but wonder if deleting this thread might stop this getting inflamed if the bloke starts searching as I'd hate to see vandalism at ramps etc etc You have a crapload of property more at risk at ramps etc.

Is there a kitesurfing forum ? Wonder what they think of it all as we have hear before of surfers and bluntly the attitude that it is the other persons problem and right or way when in confuned areas doesn't wash with me at all. Having a look for footage of the incident ( is there a surfwatch / barwatch camera?) might be wortha few minutes as it could show what actually happened and protect you.

here is one I prepared earlier - on toast

this is a classic

From the kiteboard site and nanny state NSW. Guess they need to translate into froggy language as well
    http://www.nswkba.com.au/coc

1. Sailing and Powered craft. Never force your right-of-way over other craft when on the water. Wind shadows and wake chop can cause you to lose control of your kite and end up in the path of other watercraft. Also, as large boats require extra time to avoid collision, it is especially unwise in this situation. NSW Waterways regulations require that no matter who has designated right of way, all watercraft must avoid potential collisions in all circumstances. If a potential collision appears to be developing, change direction briefly, giving clear indication of your intent to let the other craft pass, at least 100m from an intersecting boat and allow large boats to pass without causing them to alter course.
    Never force your right-of-way on boats engaged in racing. This is potentially very dangerous since they will expect you to get out of their way. Sailboats running with the wind can move very fast and have limited manoeuvrability. Keep well clear.
    http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_water.html

Kiteboarding Road Rules - On the Water

• Be sure that you can handle the prevailing weather conditions and never kite in offshore winds. If in doubt don’t go out!
    • Kiteboarders using the seafront should give way to other water users and retreat to a safe zone outside of the navigational channel when other craft approach.
    • The seafront can get exceptionally busy both on the beach and in the water. No matter how competent you are, or how good the conditions look, never risk the safety of others. If in doubt don’t go out!
    • Always maintain a 50-metre downwind safety zone between yourself and other craft. In the event of coming into conflict with other water users stabilise your kite at 12 o’clock. (Top of the wind window).
    • Never kitesurf within 50-metres upwind of any moored vessel.
    • Never kitesurf in or near to the bathing areas and swimmers, buoys and boat moorings. Stay at least 60m clear of swimming flags at all times.
    • Never practice jumping on land or close to the beach.
    • When returning to the beach, give way to riders who are launching.
    • When kiting between rock groynes, kite in an anti-clockwise circuit (nor-east wind) and with enough arc to allow incoming riders some room to manoeuvre or performs tricks.
    • Don’t downwind shadow a rider and keep at least 2 line lengths downwind so that if the rider fails in a manoeuvre they won’t hit you.
    • Turning in front of an inward rider and then shadowing so that they can’t do a manoeuvre is inconsiderate.
    • Don’t ride close behind another rider. They may be unaware of your presence and change direction suddenly.
    • Look around before you jump.
    • Don’t jump within 2 line lengths of the beach.
    • Don’t stand on the beach (chatting) with your kite over the water or above your head.
    • If you’re a newbee or honing your skills, ride out of the high traffic zone a little further downwind. The wind is the same, you can body drag for your board in safety and won’t frustrate the more advanced riders and you’ll find that you’ll progress quickly when not being worried about crashing into someone.
    • Give way to people entering the water.
    • Make yourself familiar with local rules and observe them.
    • When kiting between rock groynes enter the water 2 line lengths south (nor-east wind) of the corner so as not to create congestion.
    • Roll up lines when leaving the kite for extended periods.
    • Prior to changing direction look over your shoulder to make sure the passage is clear.
    • If you are being closely followed and need to change direction signal to show that you are coming about and then do so if possible with care. This may require you to bear away before instigating a change of direction.

Went to see fisheries today & discussed with him the issue at hand. He rang MSQ while I was there & discussed it with them. They said to file a report, so they gave me the paperwork. Fisheries tried telling MSQ I was worried about the legal implications, which I told him was crap! I said I am lodging this so it goes on file, so next time, or 10 times later when there is an incident at Noosa Bar, there is some history built up. Fisheries did say MSQ have the power to ban kite surfing from an area if it feels its too dangerous. I don't want that to happen, I just want to cross the bar safely without putting myself, crew or boat in danger.
    http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Kit...e_1607003.aspx
    I hope this link works.
    Funnily enough Cormorant, he had a bit of a dig saying it should have been lodged within 48 hours. I told him I tried to contact MSQ Saturday, but they are shut for the weekend, so I get onto Noosa Coastguard on Monday & they said it is a Fisheries & Boating matter, but they are only in the office from 9am to 4pm Tuesdays. Maybe Can Do's cuts are biting harder than we realize!!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Are you supposed to keep the frames for research?
    Should have at least got a tag in him before release
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

As a kite surfer and fisher.. I see both sides. I would suggest however as courteousy- if you have to cut his lines, at least give him a lift back to shore. Kites are worth on average approx 1000-2000 dollars and then some with harness and boards included. He would have to swim back to shore with the board and lines in tow. Even though the Kiter maybe at fault it is defintely not worth endangering his life just because he stuffed up.

This is my .02

Baitable,
    Probably much safer for him in the water than in a boat with me, after through his unmitigated STUPIDITY, he put my boat & crew at risk. I was on a shallow bar, 25knot howling north easter blowing, with a FAST outrunning tide, drifting toward the rock groyne because I had no power, oh, thats right, because of his unmitigated STUPIDITY. Holy cow, a whole $1000- $2000. I've got rod & reel combos on board worth more than that. Would he pick up the bill if I flipped on a bar & lost everything because of his, oh thats right, unmitigated STUPIDITY.
    I was not in a position to turn around mid bar & pick him up. If you read my original post, I called Coastguard immediately.
    I was brought up to think of my actions & what the repercussions of my actions would be. I reckon Froggy learnt a strong life lesson that day.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    As a kite surfer and fisher.. I see both sides. I would suggest however as courteousy- if you have to cut his lines, at least give him a lift back to shore. Kites are worth on average approx 1000-2000 dollars and then some with harness and boards included. He would have to swim back to shore with the board and lines in tow. Even though the Kiter maybe at fault it is defintely not worth endangering his life just because he stuffed up.

This is my .02
    Problem with seeing both sides is you often get caught in the middle.............