Thread: 2012 Kawana Waters Telstra Shop Sunshine Coast Spring Shootout Wrap Up

2012 Kawana Waters Telstra Shop Sunshine Coast Spring Shootout Wrap Up

The reborn Sunshine Coast Game Fishing Clubs, Spring Shootout, is fast gathering a reputation as ‘the place to be’ for the start of the south east QLD billfish season.

This year was no different as 30 boats made their way from as far away as Coff’s Harbour GFC to take part in what was a glorious weekend of fun, fishing and camaraderie. Whilst the fishing was slow, this tournament is about catching with old mates from other clubs, getting the boat wet and wetting a line in anticipation of the season ahead. However, with glowing reports at hand from just north at Fraser Island, everyone was hopeful the little blacks and sails would turn up like previous years.

In all there were only 3 Black Marlin, 1 Sailfish and 1 Blue Marlin tagged with several dropped. Boats to see the fish were Champion Boat Overall and Champion Boat Under 7m, Walk the Line skippered by Brent Higgins with 1 Blue. Champion Boat Over 7m and Champion Boat Runner Up was Keneka, skippered by Wayne Finlay who tagged 2 blacks and a sailfish. 3rd overall was the ever consistent Blu Reela who was skippered by Roger Bayzand with the Champion Junior, Josh Allwood, on board scoring his first Black Marlin. Razza, skippered by George from Reelax was 3rd in over 7m boats and the team weighed a new pending QLD record Wahoo of 27kg on 8kg line.

The official results were;
    Champion Boat - Walk the Line
    Runner Up – Keneka

Champion Boat Over 7m – Keneka
    2nd Over 7m – Blu Reela
    3rd Over 7m – Razza

Champion Boat Under 7m – Walk the Line
    2nd Under 7m – Black Mumba
    3rd Under 7m – Never Home

Champion Angler – Barry Higgins
    Runner Up – Mick Huestis
    Champion Female – Kelly Fenwick
    Champion Junior – Josh Allwood

This year there was an addition of a $1000 cash prize for the heaviest snapper, just to spice things up in a slow start to the season, and this was taken out by the team onboard Chuckles who had none other than local charter identity Rob Smith on the deck. I believe nearly all boats were guilty of dropping a livie on their favorite spot!!!!

Two weeks out from the tournament there were 22 boats committed to the Spring Shootout. With a new format, $110 Entry fee, the famous raft up and over $15,000.00 worth of prizes awarded to the fishing categories by the clubs generous sponsors http://www.scgfc.com.au/?content=sponsors the tournament was deemed a huge success with everyone vowing to return next year.

Thanks must go to Tournament Director, Troy Rumbleow, for his vision and the committee’s help as this was surely one tournament to remember and goes to show the camaraderie of SCGFC members and their friends from other clubs to all get together - fish, or no fish.

Few pics from the weekend.

Baz hooked up.

Boatside.

Tag flag flying!

On the water.
    Last edited by Smithy; 19-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Re: 2012 Kawana Waters Telstra Shop Sunshine Coast Spring Shootout Wrap Up

Kamikaze.

Barto's mackerel on a soft plastics outfit.

Josh's first marlin on Blu Reela.

Mark's cobia on Black Mamba.

Pending Qld record wahoo of 27kg on George's boat.

Last edited by Smithy; 19-10-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Kelvin's 7.3kg prize winning snapper for Chuckles.

8kg or so jewie Mick got Saturday arvo on a octo jig on a soft plastic outfit. Didn't see any billies but caught a good feed of reefies going for the snapper prize here and there.

Last edited by Smithy; 19-10-2012 at 10:22 PM.

What boat is Georgie running now Rob??

Thanks Smithy - what a heck of a hoo!!

Congrats to the young fella for a suitable first marlin - something to build upon and fire up the enthusiasm.

Sounds like it was a great gathering and fulfilled the goals it set - number one camaraderie
    Cheers

Trev

Thanks for the tourny report Smithy. I will be looking to get up there in future years and it looks like you guys are building a great future for more tournaments up that way.

Good luck to all headed to the Hervey Bay comp this weekend, with reports I've heard should be some numbers flying there.

Timbo
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

thanks for putting up the report Smithy

a great tournament with an enjoyable format for the beginning of the season

Thanks also to Wayne (Keneka) for giving me the opportunity to tag 2 blacks and a sailfish within about an hour first up on the sunday morning

cheers

Mick

Tim,

no comp this weekend. It is on the 10-11 Nov. This is just social fishing this weekend because of the hot bite.

Outwide,

George is driving the 3rd Reelax now, the centre console he built for his father-in-law Ray. Ray wasn't using it at Hinchinbrook so George has it back on the Goldy near where Tsunami usually is.

I am pretty sure I heard you guys on CH 21 when I was out last sunday sounded like alot of action going on up there some nice fish there Smithy well done fellas.

Cheers Mick

Ahh I see Smithy, pity the water was crap up there and no real numbers to be had. Atleast there were a few around to make the trip worth while.

And I bet everyone will have the taste for that area now and will be back for the comp.

Timbo
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!