Thread: Cassini Island, Long Reef & KCC Trip

Cassini Island, Long Reef & KCC Trip

With bookings slowing in the northern tourist season the call was made. Myself and brother (Ausfish I/D Bushwacker) would fish for a week based from the Kimberley Coastal Camp where my brother now looks after all things fishing. After all the pre trip excitement, flying commercial to darwin, fixed wing charter to mitchell river plateau then heli transfer out to the camp i was finally there.

The plan was to run out about 40 mile and beach camp on the remote cassini island for a couple of nights and explore this little known area and the adjacent massive long reef system. Later in the week we would return to fish the inner islands and do some creek fishing based out of the camp.

The plan pretty much unfolded as it was meant to with one exception being the lack of finding a sailfish at Cassini although i expect it may have been a bit late in the season for them. We experienced great GT and spanish fishing around cassini and long reef before returning to the camp and getting into the jew, fingermark, barra and other suspects. I'll let the pics do the talking but overall 6 days of top fishing, huge variety from the creeks to the bluewater and averything in between, the sought of stuff that fishing dreams are made of.

Scott

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popper spanish.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	85176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big jew.jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	85167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big tractor.jpg 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	85168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp cassini.jpg 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	85169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cassini.jpg 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	85170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cast spaniard.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	85171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	james barra.jpg 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	85172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James Big Trev.jpg 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	85173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	james jew.jpg 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	85174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	james tractor.jpg 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	85175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big finger.jpg 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	85166

Re: Cassini Island, Long Reef & KCC Trip

Looks like you had a good trip......hard not to over there,i went to Cassini in 1998 for the first time and have been there 3 times.......The N/E corner has some nice drop offs and the shallow western side has some good GT bommies.

It's a special place thats for sure,thanks for the report it brings back good memorys.If you ever get back there check out East and West Monelivet islands aswell........plaenty of sails there mate.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Awesome absolutly awesome, as seen from his other threads your brother is a very lucky man and has the perfect job.

In saying that you are also bloody lucky to have a brother in that position, well done and thanks for the post and pics.
    Cheers Axl

Great place I loved it there but I want to take the wife next time ... MAtt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

The pics show it all - glassy seas and big fish - WOW!

Thanks for posting
    Cheers

Trev

WOW, some awesome fish caught there.

Well done.

Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.