Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troll with Braid.

Re: Troll with Braid.

Can i add a twist to this thread. What rod is best for trolling with braid - obviously you avoid rollered rods, but what are people using for braid? All of my T-Curve game rods have rollers. I am using a Talica 12 two speed, loaded with about 500m of 50lb braid and top shot with 100m of mono. i like to buy top end gear first rather than upgrade inferior gear later on.

Have you guys tried Halco`s bibless "Max" It runs at 2mts and I have recently trolled it at 15 knots behind a charter boat with great results on macs and tuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Could be a great topic at next year's verandah of knowledge discussion. Just thinking about it a bit. We had one rod out wth mono and the others with braid. Only fish (four) we dropped was with the mono.
    Isnt that under the verandah of knowledge? Yeah we had one smashed and busted up on the mono but also missed a few hits with Hondas braid rod. Also dropped one on my eggbeater which had braid on it! Will definately be a topic to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    braid for deep divers and set the drag a bit lighter doesn't go together

an X-rap 30 deep diver needs every bit of 24kg (50lb) on strike drag pressure of 1/3 (8kg) regardless of the type of line otherwise it will just peel off drag at 6 knots

a bit lighter not let your drag tick over the whole time if you set your drag on the verge of ticking over might be a bit better setting then just on strike. obviously if it is ruff you will probably need a bit more drag. u will get less water drag/resistance with thinner line.

i can get an extra 200mm depth using 20lb braid trolling for trout and cod out of a 3m lure than 30lb braid i run maximum drag possible with stradic 4000 on a blades and tales rod dont miss many fish.

Thanks for the info guys, sounds likes i can get away with the braid with reducing the drag a little and running the longer mon leaded.
    Cheers again
    Oz
    "On Site"
    5.6m Quintrex Legend Centre Console

Quote Originally Posted by Schulzy View Post
    a bit lighter not let your drag tick over the whole time if you set your drag on the verge of ticking over might be a bit better setting then just on strike. obviously if it is ruff you will probably need a bit more drag. u will get less water drag/resistance with thinner line.

i can get an extra 200mm depth using 20lb braid trolling for trout and cod out of a 3m lure than 30lb braid i run maximum drag possible with stradic 4000 on a blades and tales rod dont miss many fish.
    an x-rap 30 lure ticks off drag at strike on 24kg line with 8kg drag setting

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    an x-rap 30 lure ticks off drag at strike on 24kg line with 8kg drag setting
    Well that will be the lightest drag setting you will be able to use unless you fish at sunset?

Use heavy rubber bands on the braid line to a corner transom clip, takes the load off the rod/reel so a lighter drag setting can be used. 7ft parabolic rods of fast taper with a soft top third work best with Macs, mono or braid.
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

I have never had problems pulling hooks on any fish unless the fish was not well hooked or foul hooked.
    Have you seen film of professional tuna boats chumming up tuna to the back of the boat and
    hooking them on a very stiff pole with a fixed short length of line and hoisting them over their heads onto the deck.
    They look like 30lb and better fish and I`ll bet those guys are not using mono.
    I think a lot of pulled hooks are blunt hooks.