Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Marlin, Blue Spot Coral Trout used as berley by Spearo's

Angry Black Marlin, Blue Spot Coral Trout used as berley by Spearo's

Re: Black Marlin, Blue Spot Coral Trout used as berley by Spearo's

Karma sometimes comes dressed in grey, with big teeth!

Capt should have driven away & called fisheries. Absolutely disgraceful!! Its wanders like this that give all fishos a bad name & ruin it for everyone. I would have thought all responsibility stopped with the captain so he should have taken charge, cancelled the charter after the 2nd warning & headed in with a fisheries vessel waiting for these clowns.
    Tony

Sorry, should have read 'WANKERS"- Too much wine this arvo!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Capt should have driven away & called fisheries. Absolutely disgraceful!! Its wanders like this that give all fishos a bad name & ruin it for everyone. I would have thought all responsibility stopped with the captain so he should have taken charge, cancelled the charter after the 2nd warning & headed in with a fisheries vessel waiting for these clowns.
    Tony
    Tony I agree 100% they are idiots but why call fisheries? They did nothing illegal. It is perfectly legal to shoot Marlin take a photo and then throw it overboard. There is no law saying what you have to do with the carcass. Likewise with Blue-spot Trout... it is legal to shoot them in the Coral Sea at anything over the legal size. They broke no law other than the law of good behavior. If it true that they just berleyed the Marlin and the Trout up then they are truly morons and have given all responsible spearos a bad name. I genuinely hope this story isn't true.

As had been mentioned ...... nothing illegal - Disgraceful , stupid , wasteful & selfish yes !
    But no different to game fishermen stringing up sharks & marlin on a gantry for a happy snap only ......... then dump the carcas

Thankfully this mindset is well & truly on the way out .....

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Been a spearo for over 40 years and a fisho for near 50......but personally can't get with the 'trophy' mentality myself.
    Lack of maturity showing there IMHO.....I'm sure they wanted their money's worth but poor ethics for mine.
    Terrible waste, terrible image for the sport, pretty darn ignorant I reckon.
    Thankfully, I'm confident the great majority of spearos would share my opinion these days.

Badone, You are right, probably not illegal, just immoral & stupid. When the capt speaks, you listen, & I don't care if you've big dollars to get out there, the capt has the final word. The 80cm limit on the Blue spot coral trout- is that maximum or minimum?? Coming from a fisho who has never landed a coral trout, mainly due to my own complete ineptitude, that just sounds SO wrong. Aren't they brilliant eating?? More concerned over the bad taste it leaves in the mouths of those who don't agree with fishing anyway. Why give them any more ammo against us??
    Tony

As the Individual who speared the Marlin on this trip I am very sad to see this fallout. I am passionate about spearfishing best practices, ethics and the reputation of the sport. I was fortunate enough to take a Marlin on spear on the trip, something very few people have done. Almost every spearfisher who has taken a Marlin and seen the fish’s beauty in the water before being hooked or speared, then experienced the fight, and death of the fish underwater in its element will never kill another Marlin. I certainly fall into this category. I have no desire to spear or catch another Marlin on line where Marlin suffer high mortality rates on release. I do however have no regret in taking the fish as it was an unforgettable experience which I shared with great mates. The issue of the blue spot trout could not be further from the truth. This is the second time I have been to the Coral Sea and on both trips all fisheries regulations where adhered to strictly and constantly briefed by the crew and trip operators. There were very few Trout taken on this trip despite every diver seeing at least a hundred. The reason for this is the large increase in reported cases of Ciguatera poisoning of late, with the Blue Spot Trout being one of the worst offenders. Some individuals speared a very small number of legal trout (absolutely not 1.3m fish) on the trip and following discussions with more experienced divers and fishermen felt the risk to be to great and so, instead of discarding, thought it would be better to use these few trout as burley.

To the individual who posted this, SHAME ON YOU. Not one action by any person on the trip was unethical or bad practice. This kind of hear-say spiteful posting is so damaging to fishing. Particularly in today’s environment where all fishers and spearos need to work together to not against each other.

These are the facts. I will be posting nothing further on this. I do not intend to get involved in forum banter with people who do their fishing in the pub and have no vested interest in preserving the sport. I will continue to respect the fish I catch and do everything in my power to protect fishing and spearfishing.

Andrew.

Umm, WTF? Bit of discrepancy between stories.....

Andrew,
    My apologies if I have upset you. In hindsight, I probably should have sat back a bit longer, let more replies come in & invariably the truth comes out.We tend to take our fellow Ausfishers at their word, as I have done in this instance, & this time it has bitten me, so again, my apologies.
    Tony

Andrew - I'm sure everyone will appreciate you coming on here and clarifying the situation ...... good on you for doing it!
    That said ...
    Personally - I still have a bitter feeling about the notion of killing legal coral trout knowing very well of the ciguatera situation. To me it's just killing for the sake of killing - specially where you are able to target exactly what you shoot . To me it doesn't sound like a best practice.
    I guess for anyone reading your explanation who pay big dollars to travel to this area to experience catching these big trout would probably be feeling just a bit disappointed .

Just my opinion though

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Badone, You are right, probably not illegal, just immoral & stupid. When the capt speaks, you listen, & I don't care if you've big dollars to get out there, the capt has the final word. The 80cm limit on the Blue spot coral trout- is that maximum or minimum?? Coming from a fisho who has never landed a coral trout, mainly due to my own complete ineptitude, that just sounds SO wrong. Aren't they brilliant eating?? More concerned over the bad taste it leaves in the mouths of those who don't agree with fishing anyway. Why give them any more ammo against us??
    Tony
    Tony, Blue-Spot Trout ( and Footballers ) have to be between a min size of 50cm and a max of 80cm and must be kept whole if caught in the GBR Marine Park. Not sure if this applies to the Coral Sea. Personally I don't think it is a good idea to spear them on extended charters for a couple of reasons:1. If kept whole, what are you going to do with a say 6 kg frozen whole fish when you get home.. thaw it out and fillet it?? Maybe invite 15 mates over for a bbq but thats about it.. and 2. Inexperienced divers will shoot a Blue Spot thinking it is just legal only to find that it is either under or over by a cm or two. Why take the chance when there are lots of legal Leopard trout out there. Larger Trout from the Coral Sea are often poisonous as well ( I can vouch for that personally). I wouldn't ever shoot a Marlin. Don't see the point really.

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    Tony, Blue-Spot Trout ( and Footballers ) have to be between a min size of 50cm and a max of 80cm and must be kept whole if caught in the GBR Marine Park. Not sure if this applies to the Coral Sea. Personally I don't think it is a good idea to spear them on extended charters for a couple of reasons:1. If kept whole, what are you going to do with a say 6 kg frozen whole fish when you get home.. thaw it out and fillet it?? Maybe invite 15 mates over for a bbq but thats about it.. and 2. Inexperienced divers will shoot a Blue Spot thinking it is just legal only to find that it is either under or over by a cm or two. Why take the chance when there are lots of legal Leopard trout out there. Larger Trout from the Coral Sea are often poisonous as well ( I can vouch for that personally). I wouldn't ever shoot a Marlin. Don't see the point really.
    Badone, if thats the case, then isn't spearing an oversized fish illegal??
    Tony

Badone, if thats the case, then isn't spearing an oversized fish illegal??
    Tony
    Yes it is. Max size 80cm. Same as max size for Flathead and some cod species.