Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Marlin, Blue Spot Coral Trout used as berley by Spearo's

Re: Black Marlin, Blue Spot Coral Trout used as berley by Spearo's

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    Tony I agree 100% they are idiots but why call fisheries? They did nothing illegal. It is perfectly legal to shoot Marlin take a photo and then throw it overboard. There is no law saying what you have to do with the carcass. Likewise with Blue-spot Trout... it is legal to shoot them in the Coral Sea at anything over the legal size. They broke no law other than the law of good behavior. If it true that they just berleyed the Marlin and the Trout up then they are truly morons and have given all responsible spearos a bad name. I genuinely hope this story isn't true.
    Badone-I thought you said he did nothing illegal?? Your last post admitted what he did was illegal. Now I'm confused??
    Tony

Hey Tony, It is only HERE-SAY that Trout larger than 80cm were shot. Andrew, who was actually on the trip, said that they were not and I believe him rather than second or third hand gossip .. hence nothing illegal. Also different rules apply to the Coral Sea which is where this charter fished. I think that the size limits on Blue Spot Trout only applies to the GBR Marine Park which doesn't yet take in the Coral Sea reefs... that might all be changing soon as we all know.

...just another example of not making judgements about matters of which you havent heard all the facts, just in a fishing context. It matters in all of life. How easily we get dragged into the mire. Sadly its a part of human nature for many to run immediately with negative reports on others. Thank goodness we have a judicial system where one has to be proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

What would you suggest they use for burley. Because your opinion of how a fish tastes to you puts it in the no burley category. Have you seen the amount of big blue spot in the coral sea? They far out number a lot of fish out there and I can also vouch that they are full of cigatura, even the smaller ones(all of them).They are inedible.There are hardly any small trout out there, the big ones eat them. Surprisingly there seems to be a larger variety of fish in the closer reefs than out there where different fish can be shot for burley. Plenty of sea bream and jobbies. If this happened in the coral sea it is fair game but in the GBR it is poor form.Don't knock a spearo for burleying fish, when fisherman kill more fish by using them for bait, poor handling, poor release methods, losses by sharks and to catch a quota. No spearo I know goes out to get their bag limit every trip like a lot of fishers I know. I do both and love them so fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by warti View Post
    What would you suggest they use for burley. Because your opinion of how a fish tastes to you puts it in the no burley category. Have you seen the amount of big blue spot in the coral sea? They far out number a lot of fish out there and I can also vouch that they are full of cigatura, even the smaller ones(all of them).They are inedible.There are hardly any small trout out there, the big ones eat them. Surprisingly there seems to be a larger variety of fish in the closer reefs than out there where different fish can be shot for burley. Plenty of sea bream and jobbies. If this happened in the coral sea it is fair game but in the GBR it is poor form.Don't knock a spearo for burleying fish, when fisherman kill more fish by using them for bait, poor handling, poor release methods, losses by sharks and to catch a quota. No spearo I know goes out to get their bag limit every trip like a lot of fishers I know. I do both and love them so fire away.

If you were to listen to the warnings by Qld health - you basically wouldn't eat any predatory fish over 6 kgs taken . So using ciguatera as a reason to justify the use of trout is just a smoke screen ......... I'm sure you can use plenty of other fast growing species like rainbow runner , fusalier etc if you need to burley .
    btw = I would say the same to someone using YFT for shark burley

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

There is not always a rainbow runner around to use. Are fusilier fast growing? There is no smoke screen, they are INEDIBLE. You would not use a coral trout for burley in the GBR.They are the premier table fish. However in the coral sea they are not. I am not saying to go open slather. Most people will disagree with this but it is legal. There is no law being broken and that is the bottom line. How many people on this site go to the reef and use stripies and hussar for bait. A good table fish wasted but not an eyebrow raised. Of course if there are pelajic fish to use for burley it would be more sustainable. But in the coral sea it is different. Most fishos hate spearos, that wont change. Jump in and have a look and broaden the horizon.

Well Warti hopefully you aren't in the majority when it comes to spearos. If you need to burley to spear fish then you should take up another sport. It's like tethering a goat to shoot a lion. Not very sporting. Try spearing Jobbies on your own merits. If the law is your bottom line then good on you. My bottom line is way more restrictive than " if it's legal then it's ok" .

I cant see how for them burlyin can be UNSPORTSMANLIKE .Most line fishers burley in some form down this way for snapper and other reefies regularly.The only problem i can see for the divers is attracting the grey suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    Well Warti hopefully you aren't in the majority when it comes to spearos. If you need to burley to spear fish then you should take up another sport. It's like tethering a goat to shoot a lion. Not very sporting. Try spearing Jobbies on your own merits. If the law is your bottom line then good on you. My bottom line is way more restrictive than " if it's legal then it's ok" .
    Other than a pulling contest, what're you trying to say? You're standards should be everyones? That's like me saying I want everyone to only use plastics, no burley or bait because that's how I do it. Get real. The law is the law for a reason and if they're within it by a cm, or by 10cm it makes no difference.
    The skipper of this operation has come forward on another forum and stated that he's never even seen a 130cm Trout, let alone one close to that size on the charter. So before anyone continues on putting fellow fishers (whether it be by line, spear or whatever other legal means) in the firing line with 3rd hand bullsh!t, how about you stop for a second and look at our own standards and band together.
    The issue was stated, it was cleared up and that's that. If you want an ethics discussion or what you think the law should state then start another thread or do something about it. Don't just be another hero behind a keyboard.

Laws are laws. If you're abiding by them then there's no issue. Morals and ethics are different from individual to individual.

There's nothing wrong with Morsby's original post, he's started a topic with his opinion and a bit of here-say information. It gets done all the time. Spearo should be commended on his post for clearing up the facts and so should Back in Black for apologising for his initial post.

It really is a nothing issue.

On another note, went to The Regatta last night for a few Pints. They've done an awesome job on that place, very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Morsby View Post
    Reports of more spearo's on this same trip who speared multiple blue spot coral trout up to 1.3m (size limit is 80cm) - also chopped them up for berley to try and bring in green and rosy job fish.
    This is the bit that alerted by bullshit detector. I've seen (and lucky enough to catch) some trout to 20kg. None of them went within cooey of 1.3m. Sometimes it pays to think critically about stories such as this before spreading.

what is this coral sea crap, coral trout have a size limit in all Qld waters which includes the Swains and any of the Coral Sea they would have fished

Size and bag limits as of February 2012
    Tidal waters
    The following legal limits apply to fish taken in Queensland waters. A bag limit (take and possession
    limit) is the total number of fish that one person can legally take and keep at any one time.
    These size and bag limits are part of the Recreational fishing rules and regulations for Queensland:
    A brief guide. To get your copy, call 13 25 23 or ask at your local bait and tackle shop. The rules and
    regulations are also available at www.deedi.qld.gov.au
    Coral reef fin fish*
    Species Size limit (cm) Bag limit
    All coral trout 38 min
    Combined limit of 7 in
    total of all trout species
    Coral trout exceptions
    Blue spotted coral trout (Chinese footballer) 50 min 80 max

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    what is this coral sea crap, coral trout have a size limit in all Qld waters which includes the Swains and any of the Coral Sea they would have fished
    cheers
    Just spoke to Fisheries. They confirmed that the bag/size limits only apply in QLD waters. The majority of the Coral Sea is in Commonwealth waters and the limits do NOT apply. They did state that because you transit QLD waters to get to the Coral Sea ( ie depart from Gladstone) that if you were to bring an illegal fish back to port then the skipper would have to have logged it as being caught outside QLD waters. Having said this, they did say that most skippers apply the QLD regs irrespective of where they are fishing... a good thing imo. So there is nothing stopping you shooting the crap out of all those big trout out there and taking a photo and then burleying them up. They are not hard to shoot.. they follow you around like friendly puppy dogs.
    Mattooty, I thought this was an ethics discussion?? Sorry if I got it wrong. Agreed, it is just my opinion that burleying when spearing is not very sporting. Big Jobbies swim up to you like stoned mullet when chewing on burley. Without burley they are a challenge and to spear one is a true spearing achievement. There is more to the sport than just catching fish. I'll say it again.. my opinion only.

IMHO, opinions are opinions, bullshit is bullshit.
    2 different things. One needs to be apologised for, the other doesn't.
    If we are capable of listening to others' opinions, maybe can learn something if we chose to.
    Nothing wrong with robust discussion, we are all adults.
    Spearos (and line fishers) acting within the law chose their own ethics.....not necessarily 'wrong' or 'right'... just different.
    My head is still spinning from that OP though, was it real or not?