Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hervey Bay M&G 23rd Nov.

Re: Hervey Bay M&G sign up sheet.

access to Wathumba is................. well, let's just say, the last time I departed from the Wathumba, I returned via a Beach Retrieve, south of the entrance.

If you like shallow water and sandflies........ go hard for Wathumba. Just my opinion.

BTW, there are mudcrabs up the back end of the creek. Apparently............

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 12-10-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: 'cn spelling
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

If it all turns to crap, we can simply motor down to Kingfisher Resort and get some cold beers and good food from the visitors bar, called... funnily enough.. " The Sand Bar ".

OR, have a leisurely cruise south down past Ungowa etc and maybe to Garry's Anchorage... look it up. !!

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    they certainly work treat, ill have 5! have my own trebles
    I don't think you need anymore lures Mike.....

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    I don't think you need anymore lures Mike.....
    yes he does Wags..he has not fished Hervey Bay previously there fore Tangles will need to purchase the following:

Rods for fishing the Bay
    Reels for fishing the Bay
    Line for..well you get the idea.

Not to mention lures for this area..no other lures will do except for Hervey Bay bought lures.

i have been doing my research on Hervey Bay tackleshops!!! TOLs isnt going to this is he?
    Tangles KFC

Lock it in Eddie. The Hervey Bay M&G kicks off on the 23/11/2012.
    This gives time for the Spotties to turn up in numbers and for Shy Gaze 11 to be on the water
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hervey Bay Fishing Report

Fishing Report - October 11th, 2012

We have had a shocker this week, weather-wise, with strong winds restricting most fishing activity to our rivers and creeks. The current howling nor-wester is forecast to ease by Friday night, giving way to a lighter southerly for the weekend and fairly light easterlies into next week.

But before you get too excited and hook the big boat up for a trip up to our northern reefs, remember that the first of two closed seasons on the taking of Coral Reef Fin Fish over the new moon is effective for the period from Friday 12th October to Tuesday 16th October inclusive.

This closure only affects us from latitude 24°50’ and further north, (roughly a line from a bit south of Bundy east to a bit north of Station Hill / Ngkala Rocks). The next closure will be around the November new moon, from the 11th to the 15th inclusive.

The best action reported from the past week has certainly been from our estuaries. The Mary/Susan system is fishing very well for big threadfin salmon, blues and barra. Live baits of herring or mullet are working well for many, though lure anglers are scoring well too. Look for the threadies around drains and creek mouths during the last of the ebb, or up on the flats whilst the tide is high.

Barra are mostly being caught from around rock bars and snags, though they too can be found around draining creeks during the ebb. Some big flatties have been active around River Heads, and are turning up in increasing numbers further upstream as they move back into the river.

Grunter, jew, bream and pikey bream have also been reported from the rivers, and with the bigger tides coming up, expect some more good sessions on whiting in the lower reaches of the Susan and Mary and from out in the Straits.

It seems that the Burrum system has not been quite as exciting, though a few small barra have been active along with the odd mangrove jack. Tarpon are again active in these rivers, often making themselves obvious sipping bait off the surface in loose schools. Tarpon are great fun for the kids and will take a range of topwater lures, small plastics, blades and small hard-bodies.

Big whiting and quite a few nice flatties can be found around the sandbanks in the lower/mid reaches of the Burrum system, with flatties now appearing well upriver as well. Small schools of queenies and trevally can be found from the islands downstream to the mouth. Schools of grunter are active, taking yabbies or small GULP plastics on the bottom, though sometimes you can be plagued by smaller grunter and bream if using bait.

The better weather from the weekend onwards will coincide with the new moon and this should see our inshore reefies fire up. Coral trout are the most sought after species, taking plastics hopped over the shallow reefs, or trolled hard-bodies. Otherwise, expect to find blackall, a few sweetlip, squire and cod on many of our inshore reefs, along with golden trevally and mackerel.

When the weather improves it will be well worth a look up on the flats between Moon Point and Kingfisher. Golden and diamond trevally have been active on these flats lately, offering some spectacular sight-fishing opportunities.

The big new moon tides will bring good schools of whiting in onto our beaches again. The dirty water inshore from the strong northerly will give them cover to feed right up into the shallows. So, wait till the bad weather passes and hit the local beach or the first part of the pier during the rising tide and rig light with worms or yabbies as bait.
    The Urangan Pier fished well early in the week until the stronger winds arrived and dirtied the waters. Good sized broad-barred mackerel, schoolies, longtail tuna, queenfish, golden trevally and flathead have all been reported over the past week. Word is that a few of those big bruiser GTs have turned up recently as well.

Once the barometer rises (from Saturday onwards) bass will again be a great target species for those with access to our local freshwater streams. Kayakers in particular have been having a ball on bass lately, with some real quality fish up to and over 50cm possible at times.

For the latest on what’s biting and all the tips and tackle to catch them, drop in and see the guys at Fishermans Corner on Torquay Road in Pialba, or join us on Facebook (http://facebook.com/fishermanscornerherveybay).

A lot more info can be found here:-

http://www.fishntales.com/

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    A lot more info can be found here:-

http://www.fishntales.com/

LP
    Why would we bother going there when we can just pester you for all the info!!??
    Jim

Re: Hervey Bay M&G 23rd Nov.

Having lived and fished Hervey Bay and surrounds for many years, I suppose I may know a thing or two about the place.

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    i have been doing my research on Hervey Bay tackleshops!!! TOLs isnt going to this is he?
    dunno..you worried about competition. If you don't have enough stop by here on your way up there..oops..you better not..I have bugger all anyway.

Good work Neil...

Ok so why don’t we go for the 23rd - 25th November for a M & G at Hervey Bay.
    I would be thinking arrive Fri/Sat go directly to ramp, fill up, fuel up, don’t f^&^ up and launch.
    Stay on the boats over night or two, raft up somewhere around Roonies point weather dependant.
    “Joy” floating station will be well equipped for those in need.
    If the weather goes to crap then like Philllllllllllll says go south in the protection of the straits, even could launch from Tuan if really bad and camp up at deep creek or something similar, but the weather would have to be really cant...say
    Tangles, I have a great contact here in town that owns a tackle shop, you really need to get here Thursday and give yourself 24 hrs tackle therapy
    No flash mash but will have magic mornay if possible with fresh bread, cracked pepper and squeeze of lemon......washed down with a big mug of JOY...
    Cheech and I have done this trip quite a few times and always got a reasonable feed, it’s a great place with some lovely Kodak moments...
    I will be making that a long weekend
    Cheers

Sounds like a plan Chong.
    The other option, especially for the smaller boats is to grab a cabin back in Hervey Bay to use as a base and just do Day trips. This is the way I'm leaning at the moment as my CC gets a bit cramped trying to live out of it for a couple of days. I will post up some cabin options once I have had a chance to go over them.
    By the way this M&G is fine for the guys working the more sheltered areas in smaller boats or Yaks. Everything from Trout to big Goldens live close to shore. Even Macs and Tuna landbased from the jetty
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Righto Chongster and Horse! Magic Mornay and Joy on tap sounds beaut! Neil, what happened to camp at Wathumba? Going soft old mate?

Have we got a list of intersted persons going? Who's in, who's a maybee?

I'm in, unless the weather is crapola. It is an 8 hr drive each way. Will arrive Friday, depart Sunday/Monday.

I will be sporting a new deckie too! Some of you may know him. Poor chap, hardly ever gets out for a fish ........ name of Murf. Figured with all that sand about in Hervey Bay, might be good to have a deckie who can get out and push - or show me how to go right through solid objects!!

Can't wait. Bring it on!!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Righto Chongster and Horse! Magic Mornay and Joy on tap sounds beaut! Neil, what happened to camp at Wathumba? Going soft old mate?

Have we got a list of intersted persons going? Who's in, who's a maybee?

I'm in, unless the weather is crapola. It is an 8 hr drive each way. Will arrive Friday, depart Sunday/Monday.

I will be sporting a new deckie too! Some of you may know him. Poor chap, hardly ever gets out for a fish ........ name of Murf. Figured with all that sand about in Hervey Bay, might be good to have a deckie who can get out and push - or show me how to go right through solid objects!!

Can't wait. Bring it on!!
    Gee, thats unlike murf to be going on a fishing holiday...