Thread: Third time lucky... Or unlucky. (Warning: Picture Heavy)

Third time lucky... Or unlucky. (Warning: Picture Heavy)

This morning i went looking for some mythical sooty fishery, i had heard a lot of rumours about it but every description of the location was different. This was the third time i had gone looking for it and luckily enough i came up trumps. I realised quickly that last time i went looking for it i was only a few metres from spotting it. I wont mention exactly where it is as finding it yourself makes it so much more satisfying, however i will say that it is within 60km of Mount Isa. The river at the moment is a series of rock pools with the biggest around 50 metres long.

I started fishing at around 7 this morning, still having a surface lure on from a few weekends ago i decided to have a few casts. 2nd cast something comes flying from about 5 metres away to grab the lure. I got pretty excited with it looking like a good morning of fishing was ahead. Unfortunately it was a dirty catfish, bit of fun but not what i was targeting. I decided to change my lure and leader as a surface lure on 37lb mono isnt the best way to get a sooty. Changed to 14lb flouro and a bibless hardbody.

Had to walk a few hundred metres to the next hole, not much luck in that one. Next rock pool first cast i got a nice 40cm sooty, now this was a shock as i wasnt expecting to get much let alone a sooty that big. My biggest out of a river previously was 38cm. What shocked me even more was one around 45cm followed it all the way in. I couldnt get anymore out of that hole, but got another couple in the next few holes.

At about 9am i got my 4th sooty for the morning, at about 45cm it was my biggest for the day. After a quick photo on the brag mat i went to take the lure out, im not exactly sure what happened next but i do know there was quite a bit of pain. I had one of the back trebles lodged in my finger with the middle treble still in the fishes mouth. I carefully removed the fish without too much bother, i then sat there wondering what to do next. I started pushing the hook right through until i realised that my pliers dont enjoy cutting owner hooks. So what does one do when the fishing if firing, i ripped it straight out with the pliers. I then grabbed a balloon (in there for livies) out of the backpack and used it to cover the hole in my finger up. I got one more good fish after that which was around 41cm and probably the heaviest of the day. I estimated it to be almost 2kg.

All in all a good day, and apologies to the idiots which read this long winded story.

Re: Third time lucky... Or unlucky.

Good report Bud,
    Shawn

Re: Third time lucky... Or unlucky. (Warning: Picture Heavy)

Nothing like tapping into new territory. Well done some nice fish there

Great report bud. Some nice fish caught there.

That treble didnt look good in your finger.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Nice! Barbless hooks are the go when you're on your own out there- or change from trebles to singles and its way safer as you might be de-hooking alot of fish in those remote areas. Also its better for the fish.

Just recently got back from a work trip in similar lookin country- I ran out of plastics so chucked on an earplug.... fun times.