Thread: Moreton Camping

Moreton Camping

Hi all I am after some advice on camping on Moreton. Never been there before. Looking at doing a week early Dec. We will have a 10 month old girl with us. We are set-up with fridge etc so need to be able to drive into camp site. I am keen for fishing and snorkelling. Is East or West side best. Our little girl loves the beach so she will be doing heaps of swimming. I would probably prefer to camp near the wrecks for snorkelling and swimming and drive to the East side for fishing.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Re: Moreton Camping

hey mate ,

We are heading over for a week starting sunday . Its our first time too (with 3 kids 9 ,6 and 10 months ) . We have family members who go a fair bit and recommend Ben-Ewa campground . Its on the western side just up from the wrecks and offers alot of protection from the wind etc apparently . If you send me a pm in a weeks time i will get back to you with how it goes aswell as some pics etc.

Cheers , Jake

Thanks for the info Jake. I will contact you in about a wk. Enjoy your trip.

If your priority is swimming for the little one and a bit of snorkelling then I'd suggest the western side somewhere. Beach camping in the north-western zone would get you away from other groups whereas being in ben-ewa or the other more formal campgrounds there could be a few other tents around but given you are going outside school holidays I imagine it will be quiet in the campground anyway.
    If you want to be near the wrecks for the snorkelling there's some camping right there where the barge drops you off - but I'm unsure about driving into those sites. They used to have bollards and were mainly for backpackers.
    Eastern side has some creeks for kids to splash in, and Blue Lagoon as well. You might be able to snorkel up near the cape and over at north point, depending on conditions.

We just came back from a few days on the island. It's a great place - we try to get there every year. Fire away if you have more questions.

I have found South West to be best.

Reasons, It is sheltered from a Northerly Wind so the water is pretty Calm. Plus, there seems to be a lot more space.

Also, It is only a few km walk to Tangalooma in case you need anything (Always Handy).

Moreton island is great so much to do and not far to drive if u were staying on the western side of the island take some telfast rid etc personally I don't use rid etc a telfast in the morning one at night nothing itches if u want to do the wrecks go when the tide is an hour before or after u will have much more fun good luck u will love it I camp at c point love it

Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it. How hard is the beach driving. Have noticed that the tides not at the best times for travelling at low tide for when we are going. I have done Fraser plenty of times and never had an issue. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay1773 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it. How hard is the beach driving. Have noticed that the tides not at the best times for travelling at low tide for when we are going. I have done Fraser plenty of times and never had an issue. Thanks again.
    The drivings pretty easy, so long as you get past the hardest bit... Getting off the barge at the wrecks lol!!!

So many people forget to deflate, or not know how to give the pedal a bit of stick.

Thanks mustang5.
    Does anyone know a decent 12v fan that I can buy for the little one to sleep during the day. Thanks.

Whitworths sell 12v fans. Also supercheap I think. We have a coleman fan that runs off 4 x D size batteries but if the tent is in the sun nothing will make it cool enough. We usually drive around and let the kids sleep in the aircon for a bit

Thanks chisel. Good point about going for a drive.

I went with my 8 yr old girl just these last september holidays and camped at the north west zone. We loved it had a great spot, didnt have to much trouble with mozzies, I think I only used a spray once in that week. I did have a look at other camp areas while we were there for future trips and I did like the north east zone , but the main camping areas that have facilities were very full and crowded imo. Just need to watch the kids if they are swimming or out on the beach as they generally dont hear the vehicles coming up along the beach. We saw a few whales on the western side that week as well as an added bonus. When we went moreton had bugger all rain and the sand was awful on the middle road and tangalooma bypass. They really need to do something about those couple of spots on the middle road that get chewed out maybe put some rubber mats to protect those spots so people dont get stuck and hold everyone up.
    But anyway I would camp in the northwest zone again next time, yellow patch looks like another good area but was more busy then where we were.

Thanks for the advice stevenc

made it back in one piece ! had a blast over there it really is a top place . Camped at Ben-Ewa and it was great . Only 4 other camps set up (was outside of school holidays) . The campground itself was well set out and the facilities were better than not having any . Half decent protection from the wind too as it blew up on the friday . glad i wasn't camped on one of the beach spots . As for the driving the triton pissed it in really (tyres down to 17psi). Middle road gets a bit tricky in a few spots (easy to moderate)but the rest of the island is classed as easy i reckon . the wrecks are accessible from ben ewa even at full tide as is the whole western side of the island north of the wrecks . Eastern side gets cut off on a full tide so you just have to make sure you are travelling 2 hours either side of high over there . We drove every track and done 2 complete trips around it leaving pretty much nothing unexplored . Will become a yearly trip for us in the not to distant future

Hey mate thanks for the post. I will book soon. Thanks again for everyone who helped.