Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

Hi everyone.

Lowrance have released a new range of units.

The new HDS Gen2 Touch Screen units -

Take a look at this line up as it is truly amazing technology.

I'm sure Grand Marlin will be able to give us an update of specs etc.

In the mean time the picture below, which has come from John Easton (Fishtec Lowrance), basically sums up the makeup of the new units -

Anyone else interested in reading some first impressions from John about the Lowrance HDS touch units then take a look at this link -

http://www.bassing.co.za/bassingforu...pressions.html

Cheers

Lee

Re: Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

look good hey but kind of frustrating as i just purchased a gen 2...

That look the goods

Are you going to tell us the structure scan transducer has also been shrunk into the 50/200??

Sounds great, but the experience with Gen 1, being made redundant with Gen 2, and now the new touch screen. Lots of dissappointed Lowrance users out there. It really means that Gen 1 was rushed out with very low processor/upgrade allowance in the manufactured item. Then Gen2 realeased with more processing speed, but to get the extra benefit you had to change to Gen 2, now we have the same again. It does seem strange that with each release, the average punter who purchased the item in good faith has been left behind.

A lot of this research does not happen overnight, it makes one wonder what they have onboard in research to replace this one in 12/18months, leaving the punter where. Normally we have software upgrades in equipment because originally it should have been designed with ample spare processor ability to handle new features. But no, now we have even new models sizes as well, so where does that leave the HDS8/10 buyers.

The new features are probably worthwhile, but if you wait a bit longer, at this rate I am thinking they will be replaced by something else within the timeframe.

Where does this leave those who purchased (what they were told was the best technology).

Seems more of a marketing ploy to get those who can afford the latest and best to change their equipment every year or two. Would have thought that the average punter would be dissappointed.

Obviously we don't have the cash to splash everytime. Come on Lowrance design something that is upgradedable to what your research is showing.
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Are you going to tell us the structure scan transducer has also been shrunk into the 50/200??
    If only! Their charging around $330 just for the structure scan transducer on top of the unit!

G'day Guys,

Just a few points:

The video presenter (John Scott) is at the forefront of developing a lot of the technology you see in the Simrad & Lowrance units. Very, very smart and a top bloke as well. I have spent time with John on a few occasions and I can tell you he is amazing to compare notes with...almost bordering on eccentric with some of his ideas!! It's that type of mind that allows Lowrance to branch into the technology they have available.
    People say to "think outside the square"... John says "what square?" To him (and others involved) there are no boundaries, just finding ways of being able to make the wildest ideas a reality.

The tech specs for performance are the same as the existing Gen 2.
    NOTE: HDS G2 TOUCH IS NOT DESIGNED TO REPLACE THE EXISTING GEN 2 RANGE, IT IS INTENDED TO SIT ALONG SIDE THE EXISTING RANGE AS ANOTHER OPTION.
    EXISTING GEN 2 UNITS ARE STILL IN FULL PRODUCTION AND WILL NOT BE MADE OBSOLETE.
    Some people like touch, some dont, so both units will be available.
    Anyone who has used Simrad NSS Touch Screens will note that the touch technology and features on the Lowrance are essentailly the same as what appear on the Simrad NSS.

The newest part of the technology is the advent of built in Structure Scan. This takes away the need to install the separate LSS-2 module / box.
    It is extremely unlikely that we will see a transducer that incorporates both Structure Scan and 2D capabilities.
    Yes, I have asked the question and the reason is that they have developed the LSS-2 transducer to give the best possible performance and they don't want to compromise this in any way
    The Lowrance LSS-2 has a dedicated downscan transducer as well as the side scan transducers (3 in total), in comparison to the Humminbird that uses the stray, weak signals from the (two) side scan transducers to digitally form a downscan image... thats how they were able to give downscan technology with just a software upgrade and not a replacement transducer.
    From what John told me at the Dealer Conference earier this year is that there isn't room to properly do both in one.

Cala90... yes, they are charging $330 for the transducer... the original stand alone LSS-2 setup with the box is $625, so you are already $300 better off... isn't that a good thing?
    Also, I see in another post that you have concerns about the transducer not being included... this is also an excellent thing... that way you get to choose the exact transducer you want, without having to pay for an included one plus an upgrade if required. Remember these units are 1kw capable and a lot of people are seeing the benefit in upgrading their transducer to 1kw.

Mylestom... Mate, don't be disappointed... I still have Gen 1 units on my boat and find them to be excellent.
    Yes, Gen 2 has a faster processor by necessity, and yes they have released a touch screen version, but essentially all the main things such as structure scan, engine interface, radar, fuel flow, sonic hub, Platinum Charts etc is fully useable on Gen 1.
    You can even add LSS-2 to the Gen 1 if you want to.
    The only real things you are missing out on with the Gen 1 is a faster processor (handy but not the end of the world), Structure Scan Overlay on the GPS screen, built in LSS-2 on the touch units, and the touch technology itself.
    Whilst they are great advances in the technology, the Gen 1 still has pretty much the same capabiities.

I for one applaud Navico for their advances in technology.
    Navico are stepping into areas that most other manufacturer's still haven't ventured, especially in the units to suit trailer boats.
    The idea that they have this technology pre-planned and are just releasing it as a marketing ploy is rubbish.
    They are still developing and refining this technology as we speak and releasing it when it is available. Mention No Emission Broadband Radar, Broadband Sounder Technology, Chirp Sounder Technology, 3 Element Side Scan to some of the other manufacturer's and see what responses you get.
    You can't get every feature available in the Navico range on any other brand, let alone the price structure that it comes in at!
    With Lowrance, you can have a simple stand alone sounder that still gives great performance, or you have the ability to expand the network right up to a level like Captain Seaweed did on the White Rhino (2 x HDS 10's, 3 x HDS 5's, Radar, 1kw Sounder, Structure Scan etc etc)
    Any of the features like structure scan, fuel flow, radar, engine management etc can be added at any time... if you buy just a head unit first, you can add / expand your system at any time by adding any feature you like without having to buy specific head units that do a specific job.
    The Gen 1 units are awesome, the Gen 2 even better, Touch screen HDS is just released and no doubt there will be a Gen 3 in the future.
    Don't be fearful of it or miserable about it, be thankful that Navico are pushing the way forwards. If they hadn't, you still wouldn't have the unbelievable technology at your fingertips that came with the release of Gen 1!

If it weren't for people like John Scott at the helm, we would still be a long way behind in the technology that we currently have.
    Here's looking forward to what they come up with next...

Cheers

Pete

It doesn't help when your system is not software upgradeable due to low processor speed. While all these things are great, it does break faith with those who purchased their sounder with all the extras. Now to find that it is worth zip if you wanted to upgrade. Somehow it has all happened very quickly with each and every advance virtually making the old one redundant. Structure scan/mapping would have been handy. A HDS8/10 setup with LSS wasn't cheap and to be so far down what is available within a short time it still makes one wonder. It is alright for those who are sponsored, or have the cash to splash. But there is a lot of us out there who can't afford the money. Yes I am dissappointed and very little back from Lowrance to past customers.
    HDS8/10 are now HDS9/12 so again we have a major change. Lowrance needs to be seen to be consistent and supportive of those who purchase their products.
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

im very happy with my gen1 and lss1....but a touch screen hds9/12 would be nice......

Need a 2nd mortgage then

I guess the one thing that needs to be taken into consideration when what has been mentioned above is not the date that the gen1 units were purchased by their owners, its when they first became available. I am not 100% sure when this was, maybe Grand Marlin can advise when the Gen1 was actually available to the public, but I have a few screen shots on my PC that were taken in early January 2010, so by the time the touches go on sale the Gen 1 is at a minimum, almost 3 years old. I think they were actually released in December 2009.

Mobile phone, Home Entertainment, Plasma and LCD tvs, Cars etc all adhere to the same type of hardware upgrades and improvements, but normally on a yearly basis, so the upgrade to the Touch system is 3 years, so it looks good from where I am sitting.

I think when everyone tries to make a comparisons about models, we need to be mindful that the Gen2 and Touch are designed to co exists and the Touch does not replace the Gen2 as Grand marlin has already mentioned. With that in mind the comparison should be made with the gen1 and Touch when comparing model updates etc.

As for models being replaced, that is not the case A HDS5, HDS7, HDS8 and HDS10 are still and always will be a HDS5, HDS7, HDS8 and HDS10 and the only differentiation is ifs it's a GEN1 or GEN2 model. The line up will now include a HDS7 Touch, HDS9 Touch and a HDS12 Touch. neither replaces the other, but rather offers the consumer the ability to choose what they would prefer. The mobile phone industry does the same. Button phones or full touch screen technology.

Also for the record I pay for my units so for me personally, I have a basically brand new HDS Gen2 and LSS2 setup and if I want a Touch system I will need to justify and warrant the upgrade. Will I loose out on resale of the setup. YES I will, but it my decision to be out of pocket if I decide I need to upgrade. So with that in min I am starting to save as of now

Cheers

Lee

Could somebody now tell me the difference between the simrad 7 and the hds 7 touch other than built in structure scan??? So confusing

Now here is something you don't see every day.

Below is a video of a HDS 9 Touch connected to an underwater camera -

Now I know some of the blue water guys will be interested in this.

Keep an eye out and more info should come to light, but I can already think of dozens and dozens of uses for that right now.

Cheers

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ozskippy View Post
    Could somebody now tell me the difference between the simrad 7 and the hds 7 touch other than built in structure scan??? So confusing
    simrad has the rotary controller for gain and zoom which in my op is a way better setup

Quote Originally Posted by ozskippy View Post
    Besides the rotary controller, it has similar software and features but simrad nss is basically Hds on steroids. Nss has autopilot extra radar features, in built charts and a superior sonar.

There are more differences, but in a nutshell, that's about it.

Cheers

Lee