Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

Re: Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

Wags,

Not impressed, anybody can get the unit to work on a flat calm day in no water depth, that is the whole basis on which the HDS has been sold, american lakes..

Try this.. what you are seeing displayed is basically garbage..

click on the picture to play, 34kph 55mtrs deep.

Regards
    Honda

Wags,

Uploaded this one for you.. click on the image to play..

Regards
    HOnda.

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    Wags,

Not impressed, anybody can get the unit to work on a flat calm day in no water depth, that is the whole basis on which the HDS has been sold, american lakes..

Try this.. what you are seeing displayed is basically garbage..

click on the picture to play, 34kph 55mtrs deep.

Regards
    Honda
    For me heading 70kms off the coast it had want to be calm. I've been out in some really crap conditions and the last thing on my mind is to get footage of the sounder.

I get how pissed off you must be about the sounder. I would be spewing if I was having your dramas. I've written a response to share another perspective but I am pretty confident that it won't make you feel any better. I hope you get a replacement sorted. And wouldn't blame you for not going back to the same model or make.

Wags,

this is the type of display most people get, unfortunately they dismiss what they are seeing.. Why?? is the question that I have.. there will be no replacement as my unit is working to specs, all components have been changed out.

While the sounder at speed has issues the unit has other features that I do like and are worthwhile and at the forefront of technology.

What I want, is for people to see what is occuring on their own unit and understand it.. at the moment there seems to be a lot of "ostrich" type stuff going on.

The reality is, if you take the time and focus to see what is technically being displayed, you will be dispointed with what you have. The truth is that some of the earlier LMS units are far better, under certain conditions.

What I havent shown you or alluded to is the performance of the unit at rest or trolling speed.

My advice to you is assess your HDS unit a bit more critically next time your in you boat, you may see less than you thought you were seeing..

Regards
    HOnda

I only fish anywhere from, woody pt, redcliffe, mud, meas mile, mainly that area.

I should imagine that the depths wouldnt worry me and i got a 455 tinnie.

In all honesty, will the hds7 struct scan, forfill my requirement from a sounder?

This has been very interesting reading and thanks honda and wags.

I guess if only 1 sounder was the best and did everything that person wanted or expected then we would all own the same.

Same thing as for boats and motors i guess.

But to get these different ideas is great for blokes like me who only have that limited knowledge.

Still not completely convinced, but think i will still buy the Hds7

Cheers
    Greg

pm sent Greg.

Wags,

Uploaded this one for you.. click on the image to play..

Regards
    HOnda.
    hey mate, what exactly am i looking for in this. Is it the lack of a solid bottom contour on the Lowrance compared to the Furuno.

Cheers

I run my little sounder in simulator mode, perfect bottom & plenty of fish at any depth or speed.

You should try it Honda.

Fed, probly the only way it will work at speed..

Si,

look at the soundings on the screen, if your using the standard colour scheme then the sounding should return as brown, not black if you get black lines, then switch over to the old colour scheme and you will see what I have shown above. The problem is that if your searching for new ground, thinking you can see the bottom, when infact the DSP of the unit is filling in the gaps so it appears that you are holding bottom.

Regards
    HOnda.

Losing Bottom.jpg

I have a n HDS10 gen 1 with a B164 tranny and it holds bottom at 50ks an hour in depths of 50ftms, never really tested it over that in deeper stuff as we are trolling. I have had it working in depths 300 ftms and then a bit deeper and it starts to slow up a fair bit. I will only be useing it as a stand alone GPS this summer as a new 587 will be installed. I have had it lock out a couple of times, but it has done it's job pretty well. I believe furunos signalling processes are a lot better than these units has ever been, and that seems to be one of the big differences between the 2 brands, to be frank I have never had a drama with their gear( furuno )but I know a lot of fishos who have had a bit of trouble with Lowrance units, that said I know a lot who have not, fact is with the furuno gear I don't know anyone who has had a drama with it, ok some of the older screens got a bit misty but they would fix it for you, but apart from that I don't hear or see anything . Most problems with peoples sounders is installation, tranny locale, and a lack of understanding of their units rather than the units themselves. I do know that if the Lowrance gives you a problem the guy I know who sells them is right onto it for you and it gets fixed or replaced pretty quick and that is important.

Before all of you rush of and buy your new units, you need to look at the issues that the HDS has with its DSP, as has been discussed on numerous occasions my unit not being the only unit with problems.

Be really nice if Lowrance fixed the flaws in the code before continuing to release units exhibiting the same issues, "Watch the first video properly" and look at the display when he switch to the sounder module.

Be happy to chat to mr lowrance.. About sounder quality.

Ps anyone using apple as a yardstick is only here for a short time, in the eighties and nineties they almost wiped off the map, due to their own arrogance and they are on the slide again.

Attachment 85023

Regards
    HOnda.
    Whats the matter with Apple Honda? Dont you like them or something

make good sinkers.. Fanboi..

Regards
    HOnda.

Very good Banchong. I had to google that one

Just checked out the new touch screen models on the Lowrance website - they look really nice. Damn I hate that, I still have the Gen1 HDS10 and now I really want the touch screen equivalent. The RRP on the website lists them at $4,500 OUCH!!!

Rhino

Yeah nothing cheap when u get up into that market. Thats a lot of fillets.
    $2100 for the HDS7 touch is enough for me.

Greg