Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

Re: Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

Before all of you rush of and buy your new units, you need to look at the issues that the HDS has with its DSP, as has been discussed on numerous occasions my unit not being the only unit with problems.

Be really nice if Lowrance fixed the flaws in the code before continuing to release units exhibiting the same issues, "Watch the first video properly" and look at the display when he switch to the sounder module.

Be happy to chat to mr lowrance.. About sounder quality.

Ps anyone using apple as a yardstick is only here for a short time, in the eighties and nineties they almost wiped off the map, due to their own arrogance and they are on the slide again.

IMG_0616.jpg

Regards
    HOnda.

Hey honda.

Can you put all that into english for me. I am not up on all this. Is there a problem?

Cheers
    Greg

Greg,

the digital signal processing of the HDS leaves a lot to be desired, when the units cant, won't, or dont know how to deal with a response they get, they fill in the details with a black block, on the screen it looks like you have a real response, however that black block in the stardard screen mode is a gap as per above or below. (look for brown lines (true bottom) and see the black lines (fake bottom) in the standard pallete as per below.

Simply put in deep water at speed, the units are not able to hold the bottom properly. in shallow flat water they seem to be ok, in a dam or glassy bay they ok. In deeper water they have issues unless the boat is idling, (I have seen "one" reasonable exception, captain seaweed, however it looked like a glassy day).

I have a furuno beside the HDS (the hds was using the same transducer at one point) and the difference in bottom sounding at speed (off shore speed 33 kph) is simply incomparable, the furuno is able to provide a picture, sure some gaps, but the HDS is unable to provide any picture at all.

I have put up previous posts with video footage, well worth doing your homework (in the electronics section).

The new models have the same software, Lowrance have done nothing to address these issues except turn on additional filters to hide what is being displayed.

Regards
    Honda.

Example

Losing Bottom.jpg

Honda, my boat has seen Lowrance gear for 6 years - 4 years with first owner (off showroom floor) and 2 years with me and never once lost bottom at speed - even with 200 ponies. I've recently upgraded to the HDS 10 gen2 and kept the same t'ducer and it's remained faultless.

impressive. Got any footage "of your HDS" at speed in > 50 mtrs of water?

Regards
    Honda.

Can take some next time I'm out if you like - but at WOT it's 76L/hr. So the only time I have a need for speed is when I require the tank to be empty.

Honda, does your unit pick up the bottom in more than 50m either at speed or trolling?

I have no expectation of stupid type speed, happy to see the bottom in 80 mtrs or so at say 35kph..

in the default colour scheme, then then change the colours to the old style colours. PS, I want to see what the water as well, to show what kind of day it was.

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Honda, does your unit pick up the bottom in more than 50m either at speed or trolling?
    why?

Regards
    Honda

Your last pic shows a depth of 25m and you say the bottom is lost - this to me would be the first concern. My concern with my unit was when we lost the depth visual at 400m. Crappy pic due from taken on phone. We trolled the shelf off N Straddy last time I went out. It read well to 399m then came back at 287m.

IMG_20120904_151248.jpg

Trolling speed = irrelevant.

I am keen to see your "impressive" footage at speed in 80 mtrs of water in the default colour scheme.

Regards
    Honda

See what I can do - but I fail to see the relevance in the default colour. Does this colour give you goose bumps? I run the colour that gives the best definition for my eyes - and I can't remember the last time I ran with default colours.

Just saying your unit may be an isolated problem. I'm not here for the he said she said bs. I just find that puting others off from buying the HDS range because of problems with one unit is going a bit far in my opinion.

Wags,

there are a lot of people who have thought my sounder was a individual issue. in fact I have seen the same issues in just about all lowrance HDS units. not only on my boat, but a number of boats It is far from isolated, the real issue is the owners, with the units ignore what they see.

No bs show me your unit working properly.. You have stated that it does work. As for the colour scheme, I did mention that the default scheme is deceptive until you look close at it.

I have video footage of my unit, apparently the only one in the world to my knowledge, at speed in deep water in the ocean on a "relatively calm" day.

PS, I have had my configuration analysed, tested and scrutinised by what some would say are (and I consider to be) "experts" in the industry..

Regards
    HOnda.

This is my latest installment - sounder footage around 2 min I think. The issue I see with your posted pics is one pic is at 10m and the other at an auto range of 25m. If you're having trouble at shallow depths I dare say you won't be happy at 50m or more.

If I was having your dramas with my unit, then I'd be asking for a replacement under warranty or sending it to a Navico rep for further analysis.