Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

Re: Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch Screen

Quote Originally Posted by leelee View Post
    I guess the one thing that needs to be taken into consideration when what has been mentioned above is not the date that the gen1 units were purchased by their owners, its when they first became available. I am not 100% sure when this was, maybe Grand Marlin can advise when the Gen1 was actually available to the public, but I have a few screen shots on my PC that were taken in early January 2010, so by the time the touches go on sale the Gen 1 is at a minimum, almost 3 years old. I think they were actually released in December 2009.
    Recently had the dockets out for mine - hds10 $2950, transducer $195 & structure scan $929 purchased in sept 09. They were pretty well just released at the time.

I see the hds10 at around $1990 now.
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%

Thanks Dicko. Wasn't 100% sure of exact date, so with that in mind, the Gen 1 is overt 3 years old. It's still a great bit of gear though.

Cheers

Lee

HDS 10 Gen2 $2350...approx

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    It doesn't help when your system is not software upgradeable due to low processor speed. While all these things are great, it does break faith with those who purchased their sounder with all the extras. Now to find that it is worth zip if you wanted to upgrade. Somehow it has all happened very quickly with each and every advance virtually making the old one redundant. Structure scan/mapping would have been handy. A HDS8/10 setup with LSS wasn't cheap and to be so far down what is available within a short time it still makes one wonder. It is alright for those who are sponsored, or have the cash to splash. But there is a lot of us out there who can't afford the money. Yes I am dissappointed and very little back from Lowrance to past customers.
    HDS8/10 are now HDS9/12 so again we have a major change. Lowrance needs to be seen to be consistent and supportive of those who purchase their products.
    I wish you had read my previous post properly, it answered a lot of your questions.

I say again... the Gen 1 units are far from redundant, you still have an awesome unit that many people would love to have. Gen 2 has been released to further enhance the new technology available, and the same follows on to the Touch Screen Units. The sounder and GPS units in all models are the same, as are the attachments (essentially).
    The HDS 8 & 10 have not become HDS 9 & 12... the 8 and 10 are still fully available, the 9 & 12 are additional to the range.

The latest software upgrade for Gen 1 is version 4.1, this can be downloaded and installed on any Gen 1 unit. Gen 2 software is not to be installed on Gen 1 units.
    http://www.lowrance.com/en-AU/Software-Updates/

Your unit would be worth about 50% - 60% of what you paid for it. This is consistent with any used product.

Sponsorship from Lowrance is only given to a select few, and they have to demonstrate the benefit to Lowrance before it happens. I am a dealer and obviously buy at dealer price. Every unit I have is purchased by me, not given to me by Lowrance. Our markups are less than 10%, so the difference between my buy price and yours is not that great... we all have to work hard to afford these things.

I get the feeling that you would like Lowrance to hand you a new unit every time they release new technology?
    I also get the feeling that even if they gave you a new unit today for nothing, you would still be unhappy when they release the next upgrade.
    Modern technology moves ahead at a great pace and will continue to do so. Computers, Cars, Phones, TV's... you name it, it is all progressing the same. You don't see Toyota, Apple, Sony etc offering free products because they have been able to release an improved version of a product... it's not the way it works.

The supportiveness of Lowrance?
    Have you taken a look at the 5 Year Advantage Service Program
    http://www.lowrance.com/en-AU/Suppor...ntage-Service/
    They have also released a certified dealer program with onboard support for purchases over $2500.

Hope this helps to settle your mind on the fact that you already own some pretty special gear.

Cheers

Pete

Hey pete.
    If we can buy themoff you, hen what is the price on the current Hds7, trans, struct scan. Also the same in the touch.
    Also price on theHds5 with trans and full struct scan.

I am looking at prices now. I was told that the touch screen will not be on the Hds5.

Will my navronics card that i have in my huminbird fit all units including touch screen, because the bloke at northside said he thought the card on the hds7 touch is a special micro sim.

Cheers mate
    Greg

Pete,

Respect the help and advise that you give freely to all.

However, I don't want something for nothing, just pointing out the disappointment from many buyers. The Gen 1 were released with a very low ability to be upgraded. That was the reason for Gen 2. Not enough processing available for software upgrade as a starting point. Maybe it was rushed onto market without thought to what the current research (Lead time) would be.

It is a reasonable piece of gear, but if it had been researched properly (with what Ugrades would be available with Gen 2) then I can understand your point.

A lot of us are on fixed income, each one off purchases are made after a lot of research and with a great deal of thought as to its lifetime. It was a lot of money for a retired person.

To all those who can afford to upgrade gear every year or 18 months, all the best to you. However that is not a lot of Lowrance customer base.

I understand that their is not much mark up in Australia for dealers, but the price in comparision with other countrys is does show a big price difference, hence Geo Fencing of overseas models.
    It is am not being critical of dealers, it is just to have Lowrance realise that some are very disappointed in there attitude to existing customers.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

He Pete

There have been some comments here but I would greatly appreciate your take on the difference between HDS7 touch and Simrad NSS7.

Id like your thoughts on the sounder performance with a standard transducer (say a P66) on each of them. Screen resolution, visibility and the like as well. I would mainly use it as a sounder and keep my hds5m gps.

Also One thing that I'd be particularly interested in is the menu system. Quite frankly, I think the HDS menu was a big backward step in usability from the earlier Lowrance series. But I have heard that the NSS7 menu system is so much easier, intuitive and better that I am seriously thinking about getting one of them.

If I Do that I will keep my HDS 5m most likely and sell my hds5x sounder. I will still want to link the hds 5m and NSS7 both via NMEA 2000 and Ethernet, same as my 2 HDS 5s are now. I imagine that Will work fine?

Thanks

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

G'day Guys,

As I have pointed out a few times, Navico are taking great interest in the opinions of their customers so as to further improve their products and customer relations as part of their new Advantage program,.
    Through feedback given to John Scott (Navico COO) has has taken an interest in the opinions / concerns of Ausfishers and asked if I could kindly pass on some further information.

Could you please explain to the Ausfish members that when we designed the HDS Gen 1we used the most modern chip ( same as apple). Apple has changed processorthree time in same period. Gen 1 processors are no longer available & withGen 2 we have again used the most modern processor to extend the life of ourproduct. The world consumer electronics market works on 9-12 month product lifecycles & the marine industry has to accommodate it. The alternative is moreexpensive products.

As I said in my earlier post, John is one of the most knowledgable and passionate people you would ever find in the electronics world.
    Having him on board with Navico is a benefit of us all.
    Having him take interest in the opinions of Ausfishers is priceless.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete. Most of us accept what John is saying, and it's great that he takes nough interest to set the reasons out clearly for everyone.

BTW, any thoughts/comments on my earlier post re HDS7 touch Vs Simrad NSS7?

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Sorry ML, I thought I had replied to that

The info supplied by others is correct.
    You won't go wrong buying either unit, the main differences are the incorporated auto pilot, BSM 2 capability, inbuilt Navionics silver charts and the main feature I like is having the rotary knobs / menu buttons as well as the touch screen.
    Touch screen is fast, accurate and a dream to use, but personally I like to have both.
    That way if rough weather, or if I have dirty hands, I have a choice.
    99% of the time I use the touch screen though.

Further to my comments, here are Navico's own thoughts:

The Lowrance HDS Gen2Touch user interface is designed specifically for inland and near shorefishermen, the Simrad NSS user interface (including the rotary knob) istailored for offshore fishing and cruising applications. This is thepower of Navico’s house of brands strategy, which means no compromise for how acustomer uses their unit.

The NSS is a lowprofile design that flush mounts beautifully on most helms, while the HDS Gen2Touch focuses on minimum footprint (and maximum glass-to-plastic ratio) forsmaller boats.

NSS features uniqueautopilot integration utilizing best-in-class steering technology, no separateautopilot head unit required; NSS supports BSM-2 chirp sonar for best-in-classdeep water performance.

The cost of NSS isprice-competitive with all comparable alternatives.

Pete
    I sent u couple pm.
    Are u selling these hds7 struct scan touch.

I want to buy one.

Greg

Seahorse check the prices at ###### Marine website

Hey stik.
    Send me a pm. The place u named was xxxxx out.

Cheers
    Greg

Seahorse PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Pete
    I sent u couple pm.
    Are u selling these hds7 struct scan touch.

I want to buy one.

Greg
    G'day Greg,

Sorry Mate, I haven't received a pm for some reason.
    Either pm me your number of feel free to give me a call.

Cheers

Pete
    0419 263 264