Thread: Fluorocarbon leader - does it work?

Fluorocarbon leader - does it work?

Hey guys

Who is convinced fluorocarbon leader works?

I was never a fan thinking i wasted my money up until my last outing chasing flathead in the creeks. I used two identical outfits which were even rigged the same and using the same bait. The only difference being one had 1.5m of fluorocarbon leader. In the 4 hours i was fishing, the FC leader rod got nearly all the bites and caught all the fish. I couldnt believe it and i think i am now a convert to FC leader - at least in the creeks anyway daytime fishing.

I fish a lot offshore and not sure if FC leader will make a difference. Does anyone think FC leader will make a difference offshore floatlining or bottom bashing for snapper up to 60m? Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Fluorocarbon leader - does it work?

Good thread. I have often wondered as well. I used to use it but stopped because it contributed more points of failure, knot wise. I sure would like to see other comparative examples as you have given.

I have always balked at the assumption that fish's eyes have the same frequency response as humans do. ie just because humans cannot see the line under water, does it necessarily mean that fish cannot either? That would be good to know for sure.

hi Jigsrule,
    I am a recent convert to F/C leader for offshore. I have found that you have to be very carefull with knot tying. I use a spot of s/glue on knots which seems to do the trick. Also usage creeps up, as the slightest nick makes the line sus. Bottom bashing---I use a loop of lighter mono to the sinker.
    Seem to replace the leaders more often, which can be expensive because of the price (I use 40 lb ) and the inability to buy in large quantities at a reasonable price.
    Don't know how the fish think about the degree of separation between bait F/C -swivel and braid. Seems to work ok though. Mind you, I believe if the fish are ON and hungry/competitive, they'll take just about anything---as long as it doesn't have a hook in it. \
    Cav(J.C.)

in shallow water it works better but offshore i dont think it matters...but in saying that i use normal mono for the bay and offshore and seem to do alright.i recon if you are where the fish are it wont matter at all

shallow & clear water it is an advantage ...... the refractive index is similar to water .

It has other physical properties that differ from mono - Specific gravity (sinks) & stiffness

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

cheers for the replies boys

Take 30lb mono and bite it off with your teeth, then try the same with 30lb Fluorocarbon.
    Definitely tougher.

Dan

I've been using some 50lb FC instead of 50lb mono. I like the additional 'limpness' of the FC, makes for a more natural presentation.
    Don't think it would be greatly more effective in my particular application, but in clear water for finicky species I think it would probably present an advantage.
    Stuff I've been using I got off Ebay, a mob in Melbourne. As with their mono, excellent value for money IMHO.
    I've used Sunline FC, but wouldn't pay the premium price again, even though I think their mono is superb.
    Cheers.

Once I get to above 30lb the FC gets very thick and stiff in the brands I have used. Its a must for clear shallow water work though
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Check out paulus just fishing. Apart from braid he has his own "pullon " leaders . These are made by inserting either flurocarbon or general leader material into hollow braid.
    On his technical forum he has the instructions on how to make them. He is the only game in town for the hollow 12st braid, which is ok.
    I have made plenty for myself and mates from 16lb - 100lb with no problems. The best thing is that they cost me no more than $1.50/ea for a 5m leader and a few cents more for surfcasting leaders. They can be made with a loop on the end or where you can pull through your main braid line . All is explained if you check out the site. Excellent bloke with the info as well. Pretty easy when you get the hang of it.