Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I think I killed my Touareg!!

Re: I think I killed my Touareg!!

Sorry about naming a national furniture company, but the gist was, nasty & cheap!
    Tony

Mate of mine in wholesaling has terrible stories to tell about the VW. I had a 200 Series for 2 years dragging a Cruisecraft 685 and it was wonderful. If Mumsy was comfy in that she'd be comfortable in anything. We had the VX (Sahara seats) give it a go. about to buy a Colorado, not in th same league, but will do the job for a short while...

PS he also says he would never tow with Euro Trash unless you were needing the name for some reason. Not worth shit after you buy it.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Nice!! And uber strong tow vehicles.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

TimiBoy- Apart from replacing a fuel pump, I could not fault the VW. 7 years of brilliant service with amazing comfort levels. I got out of Cruisers after 10 years due to the difference in ride. Couldn"t fault the Cruisers, an amazing work horse, but thats what they felt like to drive as well. Looked at the Saharas last week, & they just could"t cut it comfort, luxury & technology wise, & to top it off, it would have cost me more than the RR- go figure!!
    Not sure where you are going with the name thing?? I don't care what it is, as long as it does everything I require.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    Hi Tony,

For the existing Touareg, try giving Bavaria Motor Tuning a call.
    They are at Brendale.
    I had few problems with my X5 recently going in to limp mode.
    Many mechanics looked at it without finding the cause.
    After a visit to Bavaria, they were quickly identified the problem relating to ABS computer.
    The owner invested a lot of money to latest diagnostic tools.
    3 months later my gearbox end up dying from an unrelated issue, Bavaria did the change over to a new gearbox.

Regarding to comfort on the seat related to Land Cruiser 200 Series.
    Generally they are average seats, not designed as good as European competition.
    The foam used is not the correct grade for long journeys.

We offer our Toyota customers TRD seat conversion. Basically using the existing frames/rails in your car and inserting TRD seat foams and custom leather upholstering it all. TRD foams are top grade.
    Headrests are softer density for resting whereas base and back rests are higher density for additional support and comfort.
    Pic below showing one done for a Camry,
    Attachment 84863

I dont want this post to sound like advertisement, but rather information.

If you go LandCruiser way and not happy with the seats, give us a call.

Regards

Max Ungun
    Sounds like great option. My boss is looking to the LC200 when the D4 is up (nothing wrong with the D4 but wants something more rugged). Seats are a big deal to him. But you would want a better colour choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Depends what you want but the d4 hse interior is very close to the RR and 7 seats with class leading off road ability. The q7 gives you very little off road in comparison. It is also 20 per cent uglier than a Troll (per J Clarkson). My Bro in law has one and they look pretty good actually. The only trouble for towing with x5 and q7 etc is the fine print in towing capacity... Have a close look at that.

Cheers

Cheers
    I love the D4 and have spent a lot of time behind the wheel. But off road is not its forte. It is horrible to say the least. Trouble is the 3L TDV6 has huge brakes which won't fit inside anything less than a 19" rim. The tread pattern on any of the AT tyres in 19" and up is nothing short of highway grade.

What this translates to is anything more than wet grass and you will struggle to gain traction. The electronic aides are so useless it makes the problem worse.

You can't turn them off. Only dumb them down a notch. So at all times the computer is in control of the throttle and traction control which means you can't even make a momentum run at an obstical. This just makes such a high class vehicle embarrassing at times on easy terrain.

As a tow truck though it is outstanding with trailer sway control part of the stability program and e equipment levels make the LC200 look embarrassing.

The D4 has proven reliable with over 150,000km on the one I borrow and not a hiccup.

Expensive servicing though.

Yoot, servicing every 24,000km which is ok. Don't know about the cost though. In 24,000km I'll let you know.
    Tony

Touareg had another glitch today on the way to the RR dealership to pick up new car. Stopped at BP Caboolture to top up & when I parked it, a warning message came up on the dash "Steering Disabled. Contact Dealer Immediately"
    Juna couldn't start the car a week ago with this warning, & after 6 attempts to lock, unlock, insert key etc, she slammed the door so hard in rage it nearly came off the hinges, but it fixed the glitch!
    Luckily, she restarted & made it to Brisbane.
    Tony

Mate you have had a good run. The forums and review sites like Drive and Go auto have a consistent theme with VW and it's electronic gremlins. All vehicles have their problems but intermittent electronic ones, especially those that disable the vehicle and can't be reproduced or traced at the dealership would he hard to swallow.

Cheers

Ps Zoot I am not a fan of the stock wheel size and rubber on the D4 TT but likewise I have never heard of them being as bad as you note. They are a weapon off road, just like all the Mags etc say. The big caveat is you have to know how to best use all the electronic gizmos. It's not point and forget. For eg those you will see bogged on the beach almost certainly did not turn off DSC... It effectively impairs the vehicle for sand use... Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ozcsott,
    As I said I have had the Touareg for 7 years, & never once in that time did I hear a bad report about them, but now, thats all I'm hearing, & you are right, every report is electronic based. Like you said, I had a good run, getting out of it almost untouched. Juna is concerned the next person who buys it could be in for some grief though.
    Tony

Blog Entries

Good luck what ever you choose Tony, got a deal for ya. I'll wash it a few times for a ride in that sweet boat of yours!!!!

Funchy,
    Ended up with a RR Sports Luxury. 5L of grunt, goes like stink.
    Mate, you are only down the road, you are more than welcome to come for a fish out time, & if it makes you feel better, I'll tow you on your yak out to the Hards!!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Yoot, servicing every 24,000km which is ok. Don't know about the cost though. In 24,000km I'll let you know.
    Tony
    The LR dealer ship insist to half those service distances (well this did) so the cost will be doubled I bet to make up for it.