Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor winch in a kevlacat 1900 offshore

Anchor winch in a kevlacat 1900 offshore

Hi guys,

I have a Kevlacat 1900 and would like to put a power anchor in . Does any one know who can do this for me? cost? and are any mods needed to the existing anchor well?

Any advise is appreciated.
    Thanks

At Bribe Island QLD

Re: Anchor winch in a kevlacat 1900 offshore

probably a good starting point would be Pete "grand marlin" from here on ausfish.

Goodaye Mate, I just fitted a stressfree into my 2400 kevlacat and then put one in my mates as well, The one i put in was overkill for the boat it was the Mighty Ng series, Stress free actualy made the drum a little smaller to fit the cat so they were realy good to deal with and very helpful, they are a bit dearer but that is pure choice whether to go them or cheaper units, Took me about a day to fit all electrics came as wiring loom off them, i found it was fairly easy to fit only had to cut anchor hatch out a bit and i actualy put a lot bigger backing plate than what was needed, but thats me, X winch and savwinch are worth a look but they dont have freefall, i put a stressfree on my seafarer 6 months before and that had freefall as well and my personel choice is definatly freefall, Try grand marlin if i was closer to someone like that i would get them to do it but the bugger would have charged me to much travel time!!!!! Just out of interes grand marlin what would you charge me to travel to Tassie to fit a winch??????? lol

Guys, I am sure Pete ( Grand Marlin) is flattered still, but as he works full time interstate these days its probably better to seek other advice closer to home that might help expedite this type of installation.
    Cheers
    Brendan

Ah Brendan, My bit about pete was tongue in cheek, and double or nuthin is only at Bribie island i think

Quote Originally Posted by hilta1 View Post
    Ah Brendan, My bit about pete was tongue in cheek, and double or nuthin is only at Bribie island i think
    Just re read your post. Didnt even see the end bit!
    Was actually replying after the previous post.( Noelm)
    Cheers
    Brendan

What!!!! you didnt see the best bit??????? What a waste of humor!!!! lol

Thanks hilta1 I went on the stress free web site, looks like exactly what I need mate. Sent them an email so I will see how it goes. Gotta be better than dragging the anchor up by hand.

Thanks for the advice

Once you have had a anchor winch you wouldnt be without one, once you get used to it it is so much easier to get exactly where you want, and besides if you miss the spot it is so easy to move!!

I am about to put one into jeff72's new 7.7M Origin as part of a full electrical/electronics install. The anchor well needed some HUGE doubler plates on the crash bulkhead to spread the load.
    Could I suggest that you contact KC for advice regarding beefing up the anchor well as these guys built the boat. Once you have the glass upgrades done, ask this question again.The winch may be "stressfree" for you but the hull will cop lots of stress unless it is beefed up & KC will provide the advice & probably do the job better than most.
    Or you could just get an "anchor ball" & be done with it unless you are planning to pull the pick a whole bunch.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Mate trust me the anchor ball will be like comparing apples to pears, you dont understand just how good it is to have a winch until you have had one.

Quote Originally Posted by hilta1 View Post
    Mate trust me the anchor ball will be like comparing apples to pears, you dont understand just how good it is to have a winch until you have had one.
    What a stupid incompetent reply!

Dont call me stupid!!!! You obviously have some thing to say then have you??? Have you used a anchor winch?

Used one and hated it. Anchor retrieval buoy and clip all the way for me! Might be alright for southerns in the depths they fish but not the sort of depths we fish in SEQ.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...hlight=rainbow

Only what you get used to i reckon smithy, just a lot easier to adjust where you want to be, i reckon if you got the hang of it you may well change your mind, but each to there own.