Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worse bars and why?

Re: Worse bars and why?

The seaway is a breeze, surely it cant get a mention as far as nasty bars go... Moruya rivermouth on the south coast is a great surfing spot and also is a bar for boats.. go down the coast another 40mins and you have Narooma bar.. these are NASTY bars and command massive respect.. Know the depth contours and understand the way swell patterns work (sets etc) also know your boats limitations and you should never really have a problem.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Evans Head is the worst bar known to mankind.
    Why?? If only one of you fella's believe me and stay away then that's one less boat fishing from there and one less boat that might p!ss me off or one less boat to pinch my secret snapper spot or one less boat in the parking lot
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    I've been over the Wide Bay bar twice. Well, more through it than over it.

The first time and the last time.

TOL
    why? It is not that bad. Been over and back about 10 times..some times are a bit better than others but with a good skipper it is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    why? It is not that bad. Been over and back about 10 times..some times are a bit better than others but with a good skipper it is okay.
    Greg, in a smallish boat it can be a bloody long way in washing machine conditions, it never seems as bad with a skipper doing the work while having beer down the back relaxing after a good days fishing.

Mark
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

The worst bar is the one you'll be crossing for the first time.

Any bar crossed many times and at different times can be bad, but in the end your gut will tell you what to do, ie:- proceed or not.

Only bar I ever put a life jacket on to cross, was Currumbin Creek. In a 4.1mtr tinnie and white water all across the entrance. 4 whites and a greenie and I was out.

Getting back in was another issue all together. Started to ride a swell in and a *&%$# jet ski launches itself from in front of the wave and just about passed right over the top of me. Then all I see in front of me is a surfboard riders head... as he rides MY wave.

Last time I ever used that bar.

Round Hill is the best, despite no lighting on the beacons. ( no, Pancake Creek is the best... )

Mooloolaba used to be the best, until sand drift interfered.

The one you'll need to concentrate on the hardest, is the beach launch and exit the gutters on Fraser island. Running parallel to the waves for 100 plus meters and then turning hard to starboard and getting some " hang-time " certainly gets the juices flowing.

Others bars of note..... Stilettos Night Club, Townsville '79 -'83. All chairs, Tables etc were bolted to the floor and if you made it out after a few sherbets without a black eye or blood nose, you were a legend.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

Others bars of note..... Stilettos Night Club, Townsville '79 -'83. All chairs, Tables etc were bolted to the floor and if you made it out after a few sherbets without a black eye or blood nose, you were a legend.

LP
    That's the place where my brother went in with a shotty looking for the guy who stole his leather jacket. Cleaned the place out real quick he reckoned..

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    That's the place where my brother went in with a shotty looking for the guy who stole his leather jacket. Cleaned the place out real quick he reckoned..
    Obviously not from Ballina. Plenty of leather jackets to go around down there!

Quote Originally Posted by the lump View Post
    Obviously not from Ballina. Plenty of leather jackets to go around down there!
    Groan!

Next M&G in the pub Lumpy. The theory of the moving carpet will be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

True. I'd forgotten about that time we did that charter. It was good that day.

I was thinking about a crossing I did some years previously, which was real scary.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Only bar I ever put a life jacket on to cross, was Currumbin Creek. In a 4.1mtr tinnie and white water all across the entrance. 4 whites and a greenie and I was out.
    LP
    Phill....I'm shocked. Can you call people by those names?? 4 whites and a greenie??
    How did you know she/she/it was a greenie?? Sign on their head?? Dreadlocks?? Smell?? Oil slick??
    And what did you do to those 5 people??
    If TOL was there he would have introduced the greenie to big Bertha I reckon.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I wouldn't waste Bertha on a greenie.

TOL