Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade options. IT guys ?

Upgrade options. IT guys ?

OK, I feel it time to upgrade my computer system.

Currently my HD has about 100mb space left and my system is old. Works fine though.

I was thinking to branching out to a laptop, as I travel a fair bit and only have a notepad thing now.

I don't do computers without a mouse... way too hard.

So, is it economical to have a laptop with Dongle and wireless connections for my A3 & A4 printers and mouse.

Currently have a $60/ month Optus Cable internet account which is more than enough for me.

When I do purchase the new system ( if i do ) I would need to transfer a lot of " stuff " over to new system and that could be an issue and probably where I'll need expertise and advice.

New system needs minimal graphics, but will need lotsa RAM and HD.

I have just got my head around XP, so will have to start again with ? Vista ? Windows 7 whatever ?????

Question is...

Brand of laptop ?

anything else I need to know. like internet bundles / options.

All assist appreciated.

cheers phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Upgrade options. IT guys ?

Phil,

HP / Compaq are the better laptops, try a DV6 or DV7, Lenovo's range are not bad either , you can get the laptop specked up to what you need. Stay away from Toshiba (Heat issues) and Sony / acer (just plain bad).

Check the speed of the HDD a lot sell with 5400 rpm disks (slow) look for one with a 7200 rpm or SSD drive if possible, if not you can always change the disk for 100.00 at some point in the future.

Get a bluetooth mouse.

For file transfer you can use an external disk (USB) for about 100.00

If you are happy with your internet connection, just stay with that, plug the laptop into your cable.

Regards
    HOnda.

Hi Phil,

By you saying that you've only just got your head around Windows XP indicates to me that you're not going to need an awesome PC/Laptop to play the latest games or Burn Blu Ray's etc.

Try one of these:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/h...ook-sku-88716/

The Hard Drive will be big enough and 4Gig Ram will be quick enough for you to do what you need to do.

In regards to transferring things over, get yourself a USB stick and do it manually. Just copy it onto the USB and then plug it into the new laptop. You could network them both together but you'll find that complicated.

Here's the USB thing you'll need:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/s...ive-sku-66277/

I hope this helps.

At least your not going to upgrade (??) to a tablet

I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thanks so far, I have a 120GB remote HDD with some stuff stored on it, mainly photos.

At least now I can start looking.

cheers LP

Talking Re: Upgrade options. IT guys ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    OK, I feel it time to upgrade my computer system.

I have just got my head around XP and my system is old. Works fine though.
    When I do purchase the new system ( if i do )

cheers phill
    Nahhh mate , you have XP
    Just get a couple of planks or maybe tressles , and a bit of Gaffa

Here's what I did

redneck_laptop.jpg

Picked up an Asus with 8gb ram and 750gb hard drive for under $800 Harvey Norman.
    Good graphics with ice cool touch and a heap of other fancy terms that probably don't mean jack to you also has intel I7 processor. Asus do make a good machine but with brands it's like ford vs Holden's they will all get you to where you're going just some better than others.

Check the compatibility of the programs you wish to run on your new proposed operating system.
    Tonight I just built a new PC with all the latest whizbang crap and it is beyond lightning fast.......now i gotta load a second operating system to load most programs I use that I can't afford to replace ($20k+).
    So far Win 7 pro 64 bit is sorta okish......no doubt pretty good for the average Joe, but a PITA for a guy that needs to get into do some stuff that this OS won't let you near.
    Jack.

Dell is what we use at work. Buy online, get delivered. Have a problem they come to you to fix it. So far we have had no failures. If you ring them you can haggle on price. Our main client also uses Dell, and they have thousands of them.

As for OS, win7 is by far the best OS on the market at the moment, its more stable than any of the others with far less problems. The only issue is that you may not be able to run a few older apps, but if you buy win7 professional, you can actually run a full blow copy of win xp under win 7.

It's very easy to put dual operating systems on, but as some of you have said it's a PITA.

I've only heard good things about Dell, but I've never got one. Only because I never liked the plain look of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippidy View Post
    It's very easy to put dual operating systems on, but as some of you have said it's a PITA.

I've only heard good things about Dell, but I've never got one. Only because I never liked the plain look of them.
    True, I forgot to say that dell is more chunky than funky.

I have had a bit of a squizz guys.........

Just need to make that decision.

Thing is, I don't look forward to swapping over all info from old to new.... particularly the Garmin stuff. ( Homeport and mapsource )

Seems everytime I " do " something to the puter, it has a hissy fit and I don't need that stress right now.

thanks again guys............

Andy.......... when is the next maidenwell run ?

cheers LP

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I have had a bit of a squizz guys.........

Just need to make that decision.

Thing is, I don't look forward to swapping over all info from old to new.... particularly the Garmin stuff. ( Homeport and mapsource )

Seems everytime I " do " something to the puter, it has a hissy fit and I don't need that stress right now.

thanks again guys............

Andy.......... when is the next maidenwell run ?

cheers LP
    I am not sure they will have us back at maindenwell after the last time!! Did a run out there for post Laverda Concourse piss up last month, $3500 across the bar (think 25 people). Someone had a vom in the house, did not quite make it outside though.

Anyway, I am pretty much screwed during the sailing season, as I race the last sunday of each month. However if you dont mind forgoing the pig on a spit I can go pretty much any other weekend.

Just a note Phill, SATA is not supported with Win XP for the initial install. Lots of new motherboards are SATA only (some with and IDE degrade option in BIOS to get you through at half speed though). If you decide to keep your Win XP it is worth researching, I am going through the pain atm trying to get XP loaded to a SSD drive.
    Jack.