Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: freezing macks

Re: freezing macks

thanks giffo, looking up some kipper smokers right now.

Got my Little Kipper from BCF,I am sure you could get them other places.What I like about them is the small size and the lid slides in a groove so cannot warp when it gets hot and let out the heat and smoke.Mine is the Gal version and is starting to rust after 3 years and much use,I would buy the stainless version next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    My theory is that water expands when you freeze it and could "break" the flesh in the process making it less firm or even mushy when thawed.
    I just wash it salty water after thawing if required. Still dry it before cooking.
    I used to wash my fillets but had a mate who swore they were better unwashed and cryovaced them that wayand as I was in his camp I didn't have much choice but since eating them I have to agree.

You do have to keep a very clean table top when filleting as well as the gear and after filleting just cryovac and freeze. I have tried it with reef fish and mackerel and the difference is huge, the unwashed fish tastes like you just caught it where as the washed fillets have a blander taste.

Remeber that cleanliness is of the essence, the fillets probably wont last as long but up to 3 months like that they will be excellant eating.

If you still are a little sus about it just give me a call and I will take the fish off your hands.

Best way I have found is to fillet and skin and remove all the blood line and cut into medallions then cryovac. I have eaten them six months later and they are perfect.

They dont last long enough in my house, cant beat fresh macko fillets.
    CHEERS AND BEERS