Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fisheries Queensland, feeling the force !

Fisheries Queensland, feeling the force !

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys.

I really hope this Government can address the issues it has identified and restore FQ back to a worthwhile and productive department in the near future.

Myself, and many others will be hammering down the doors of every LNP member of Parliament we can to let them know that what has occured to the department, is not sustainable and needs to be fixed, asap.

Further, I will need to clarify if the RUF attached to vessel registration is to continue to be used for rec fishoes infrastructure etc and NOT plonked into " general Revenue ".

I know the last Government left this State broke and I hope the current one can sort it without too much hurt, but it appears they may be going too hard, too soon. I know their intentions are good and policy is designed to improve the State , budgetary wise.

I'll get more info posted as soon as I can. If you a FQ staffer and reading this, as I know a lot of you do, and you have been........ let go, thanks for your time and effort in the job and hope to see you back helping rec fishos of Queensland in the not to distant future.

Cheers Phill

Dear Fisheries Stakeholder

You will be aware that the State Budget released on 11 September 2012 outlined budget savings of $31.7 million for the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, and a workforce reduction of 496 positions, which includes vacant positions.

Fisheries Queensland's contribution to the budget savings was $4.3 million this year. As a result, our workforce will reduce by around 60 positions. This will mean that Fisheries Queensland will have a workforce of 190 people by the end of June 2013.

Given these budget savings, we are re-focusing our remaining resources on our core legislative, policy and compliance roles to deliver on the priorities of the Government.

The activities that contribute to the savings include:

· ceasing the Fisheries Observer Program
    · ceasing the Industry Development program for commercial and recreational fishing, and aquaculture
    · ceasing the Fishcare Volunteer Program
    · ceasing operational activity for waterway barrier works construction
    · scaling back the freshwater fishing program - focus of activity will be on Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme, freshwater stocking policy, native fish scientific expertise and pest and noxious fish
    · re-structure of the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol to build capacity and expertise in priority regional locations
    · not providing funding for the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (a decision for this year only, with review in future years)
    · the Marine Ecology Group (seagrass monitoring) transitioning across to James Cook University
    · rationalisation of Brisbane-based senior management and support services.

The next few months will see us transitioning from these activities, and by the end of the year the staff who provided these services will be gone. We will be working with all stakeholders over the next few months as this transition occurs.

The reduction in staff numbers has required a new structure to be adopted. Broadly there will be two groups.

· Group 1 - focus on management, assessment and review of fisheries and fisheries habitats
    · Group 2 - maintaining the operational aspects of our work including compliance, education, data collection, licensing and assessments of development approvals.

Fisheries Queensland can no longer sustain the previous management structure which had individual managers for each activity area, or fishery. Leadership roles in Fisheries Queensland until the end of 2012 will be:

- myself as Managing Director

- Andrew Thwaites, A/Executive Director, Policy and Strategy (Group 1 lead)

- Bea Duffield, Executive Director, Monitoring and Operations (Group 2 lead)

- Mark Doohan, Director, Policy and Strategy

- Ian Fricke, A/Director, Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol

- Nikki Moore, Regional Manager (South)

- Mal Pearce, Regional Manager (North)

I know many of you will be keen to work with the new team looking after management, assessment and review of fisheries (formerly known as Harvest Management). Mark Doohan will lead the team for the next few months to ensure that the Government's goals of delivering the netting buyback and completing the reviews of the trawl, crab and freshwater fisheries occurs in a timely manner.

I look forward to continuing to work with you all over the coming months.

Regards

Maria

Maria Mohr

Managing Director, Fisheries Queensland

Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

Level 2, 80 Ann Street

Brisbane Q 4000

Telephone: 07 3224 2268

Mobile: 0423 821 006

Email: Maria.Mohr@daff.qld.gov.au
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Fisheries Queensland, feeling the force !

There is Maria's email and contact details at the bottom of the post.

You guys know what to do, go hard !!

LP

Thanks Phil for that. Do you know where to access info on boat/trailer regos and how much is raised , where it goes etc??

thks, Brad.

Question Re: Fisheries Queensland, feeling the force !

FW stockings is a concern.....maybe , I suppose 'trending' fingerling releases can be easily documented
    Less Fisheries on-the-beat with SW , doesn't concern me at all.
    We just have to be a little less PARANOID at the ramp ....thinking everybody else is taking undersize and exceeding limits ,and of course selling fish ,direct to the Public

jmo
    1 line ,1 hook in Green Zones scenario...should be accelerated asap

Further, I will need to clarify if the RUF attached to vessel registration is to continue to be used for rec fishoes infrastructure etc and NOT plonked into " general Revenue ".
    Yep ,that IS important

Some of the fisheries programs wound up this week to save money are fully funded out of the PPV component of boat regos WTF
    ~~~><))))*>

Mike, I have sent Maria an email asking about this and other issues regarding the RUF ( old PPV ).

Hope to hear back soon.

If it is true in that programs fully supported by the RUF are being shut down and those funds used, are heading to general revenue, then that is not acceptable.

LP

It's true baby.

Here's an excerpt from Les Kowitz's letter to the Minister. Les is the excutive officer of the FFSAQ and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me postiong this here. Guys like Les who have volunteered countless hours of their time to make Qld's freshwater fishing what it is today must feel gutted with these cuts.

FFSAQ has now been advised that the Recreational Fishing Enhancement Program (RFEP) will no longer exist, and as such, funding contributions to fish stocking groups will cease. Funding of the RFEP was derived from the special fee levied on boat registrations (PPV / RUF). Currently this charge is levied at $18 per vessel. As FFSAQ is not aware that this levy is to be discontinued, why is it that the RFEP is no longer being funded by this source of revenue.

This also prompts the following questions:

· Does the PPV/RUF levy still apply to all boat registrations
    · If so, how much revenue is now being received from this source
    · Who is administrating this funding, and where is it now being allocated
    · As this funding is derived from a specific sector of the community, why has not this sector been consulted if the allocation formula and process has been changed.

Minister, it is now incumbent on you to clearly and specifically respond to the above queries. The freshwater fishing sector is most concerned of the manner and direction that the LNP Government is taking this significant recreational activity.

~~~><))))*>

Thanks Mike, let's hope Les gets an answer soon.

Yes, I have met Les and he is a fresh water legend for his tireless work in this area.

LP

Approx. 250000 boats registered in Qld, paying $18 RUF equates to 4.5 million dollars collected per year.

As our std boat and trailer rego fees should more than cover the maintanence of boat facilities, such as ramps etc, the govt seems to have effectively given us a RFL by stealth....

Fishcare are wound up, but still this on the Fisheries website.

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_8187.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Fishcare are wound up, but still this on the Fisheries website.

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_8187.htm
    There's loose ends everywhere Phill, they can't keep up with the changes, or maybe half the guys who look after their websites have been let go.
    ~~~><))))*>

This kind of chaos is what happens when you apply simplistic rules like 'cut XX%'.

Heavy handed, sudden direction changes are bad in a car or a boat or a government.

Remember the landslide? So there isn't anywhere near the concern in pollies minds about public perception as there normally would be.

The fishing will go downhill and the fishing groups will have less clout. It always happens after a landslide unless your group is part of the inner circle.

And it appears that fishos and boaties are not.

Sunfish funding gone also?

We all need to do our bit to hold them accountable, and ensure the special funding money is either spent where it was promised, or taken off our boat / trailer rego.

Matthew

Fisheries contribution to savings $4.3 M, PPV/RUF $4.6 M.

Sudden decision that the PPV/RUF is now rec fishing's contribution to fisheries management (or is that MISmanagement).
    Reason, apparently it is not enshrined in the legislation that this money must be used to enhance rec fishing.