Thread: Sinker weight vs line class

Sinker weight vs line class

OK the story goes like this. Have finally got to the point where I can catch a feed most times we go out, so decided to put some sport into the fishing. Have spent the last thre years using a 800 Tekota level wind with 50lb braid on a 15kg T-Curve standup trolling rod for almost everything, bottom bashing for flatties, chasing snapper, kings and trolling for tuna out wide. I have had fun and there hasn't been anything I coudln't skull drag to the boat. So I decided that on a new combo that I can throw in the car or suitcase and use on a mates estuary boat as well.

The new outfit is a 5-8kg T-curve 1.75m baitcaster Three piece Travel rod with a Shimano Curado 300ej, loaded with 230m of 15kg braid. I intend to use it as a multi-purpose outfit, which brings me to my question, how much lead is too much on this rod when bottom bouncing? If felt fine with 4ozs with less than a knot of drift, but I struggled to hold bottom in 40m above one knot of drift.

So how much lead do you use when fishing 25-45m?

Cheers

Thy

Re: Sinker weight vs line class

Hi Thylacene,

This is a hard question to give a definitive answer to. My experinece / observations is as follows:

The amount of lead required can vary significantly depending upon current speed, wind direction, tide direction etc.

Sometimes I have to use 5oz of lead in 30 metres of water and sometimes only 1oz

This also applies to 80 metres of water, the least that i have used is 1oz for this depth also

Then there is the usage, to hit and stay on the bottom, then use i use heavier lead.

Most times though, i want to floatline, and i dont always want to stay straight up and down. I may have several lead changes thoughout a session.

Getting back to the rod, I also use lighter tackle when i can. I let the lead required dictate what rod i should use. for example, sometimes i need 16oz or greater of lead in 80 metres of water. I use my 24kg rod.

If there is no current or wind and i use my 10kg or 15kg rod with 1- 2oz or 3 - 5 oz respectively.

what i am trying to achive is movement in the rod tip. There is no point having a 10kg rod at 1/3 to 1/2 loaded already with 5 oz of weight, plus bait, plus pressure etc. There is no sensitivity left and you miss bites, can make the fish more skittish i.e. not come back for a second bite etc.

I always try and fish the lightest weight i can, I will also change rods as the weight required increases etc.

Hope that helps?

Cheers Adam