Thread: Red Claw Bait - Wivenhoe

Ausfish Bronze Member Aussie Spirit's Avatar

Red Claw Bait - Wivenhoe

Heading up to Wivenhoe Dam in a couple of weeks taking the 7 year old grand daughter with us for a holiday, to keep her occupied over the holiday break we are going to have a compertion in who can catch the most yabbies, so i was wondering what is the best bait to use in the couple of opera style pots that I am taking for us to use.
    Aussie Spirit
    Stacer Proline 3.75
    Rego: WG951Q

Re: Red Claw Bait - Wivenhoe

Rockmellon works well they also like potatoes, there would be many more things that you could use as well.
    TEAM F.C.R.

As barra71 said, rockmelon works well. Also try boiled potato or boiled sweet potato. Rockmelon works best I have found!

I use a quarter of a bar of soap and any vegetable scraps in camp - rockmelon can be a bit expensive

3.-5 metres deep, I run the pots from 3 metres out in a line first drop for a soak and reset them all at the depth of fullest trap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...4YSlgXYOU&NR=1

That is a good link to redclaw catching and bait
    David

Have heard parsley works really well for them.

Rockmelon, zuchini, sunlight soap, potato, pumpkin, watermelon, pear.........
    You have to boil the veges to make them soft.......

haha no need to go boiling veges etc just get yourself 1 rockmelon and 1 large sweet potato or pumpkin. They wont turn around and walk out when they realised their not nice and soft.
    My red and blueclaws in my tanks love zucchini and cucumber, also little blocks of potato. Rockmelon clouds the tank a bit too much.
    Somebody said rockmelon can be expensive??? for about 5 bucks you can pick up a whole rocky and a sweet potato, if they are around you will get plenty on them.
    Bit of cat food goes alright too.
    Got these ones earlier in the year
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Bronze Member Aussie Spirit's Avatar

Thanks to everyone for the replies and information, just hope the grand daughter doesn't show me up by beating me in our little compertion.
    Aussie Spirit
    Stacer Proline 3.75
    Rego: WG951Q

Rockmelon is deffinatly the best bait i've found. I set pots at 20ft and around rocky areas if possible and seem to do quite well. Good luck.

Here's my take on it for samsonvale:

<b><b> Redclaw Research

Sort of

Here's my findings after a month with the canoe and 8 pots, 4 times a week, and a different approach to how I fished land based.

Rockmelon is the best bait compared to cat/dogfood/fishframes but is eaten quickly and then the crays look for a way out. Left overnight with just rockmelon the catches were lower than if pulled after 2 hours and it was verified that in empty pots, the crays had found their way out as the rockmelon was eaten.

Daylight catches larger specimens but lower quantities................left overnight there
    were always a lot of smaller ones, though larger ones were still taken.

A container with holes punched in it containing dried dog food and tinned dog food, didn't pull as many as rockmelon during the day but more than rockmelon overnight because as stated previously, the crays found their way out after eating the rockmelon............the container food proved more difficult to access/eat so kept 'em in there longer.

Rockmelon and the containered dog food together was more successful than just one or the other. I'm guessing that initially the rockmelon was the crowd puller but the dog food kept 'em interested once the melon was gone.

Tips to keep 'em in the pot longer.........Buy the small screw top canisters from the reject shop for 1.25. Holes can be made in the sides without drilling, by piercing slowly with sharp scissor blade and twisting blade to enlarge hole. Two holes in bottom for cable tie secures to bottom of pot. Write your details on lid to negate the use of label. Make holes large enough so as the dried dog food expands in water, it pushes out a berley trail of the tinned dog food. Do not fill the tub..........allow for expansion with space to spare so that water can flow through holes. Cut reasonable sized pieces of gutter guard.........enough to roll up the slice of rockmelon like a kebab and wedge this under the bottom spars of the pot so that it doesn't float up or is easily eaten..........the little mesh bags that come with the opera house pots aren't big enough for a decent piece of rockmelon, get ripped to shreds, and allow the crays to feed quicker and then look for a way out.

Check the shape of your pots and adjust..............many of the opera house traps have the opening only just clear of the floor of the pot.

Best depth was 7 to 10 metres with 12metres of rope so if you're land based, wading is the go. Several times the pots were found on the other side of the lake with cray still inside. These pots (I'm guessing), had been set on a steep slope allowing 'em to slide down the slope when the crays kicked off. On reaching a spot deeper than 12m, the float carried 'em across in the wind.

Have tried the same as above at my land based spot and results are the same.

Since writing this for another forum I've found that banana is just as good as rockmelon..................but no bananas if you're in a boat

</b></b>

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.