View Poll Results: Is the LNP are doing a good job with policies relating to recreational fishing??

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

22 18.64%
  • no

46 38.98%
  • what policies

50 42.37%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the LNP is doing a good job in relation to policies affecting recreation

Re: Do you think the LNP is doing a good job in relation to policies affecting recrea

Post removed
    Last edited by Matty_M; 25-09-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Re: Do you think the LNP is doing a good job in relation to policies affecting recrea

This is a media release I received today from the Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Assoc of Qld

MEDIA RELEASE 23rd September 2012
    FRESHWATER FISHING "GUTTED" BY LNP GOVERNMENT
    "It is quite clear that the LNP Government has no affinity, recognition or understanding of the significant role that freshwater fishing plays in the lives of many Queenslanders" Mr Robin Caddy said today. Mr Caddy is President of the Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland (FFSAQ). FFSAQ is the peak body organization representing freshwater fishers.
    The statement came after the LNP Government announced details of budget savings that have impacted on operational procedures of Fisheries Queensland.
    Mr Caddy said " Fisheries Queensland has advised that 60 staff positions will disappear, and its focus from now on will only be on core legislative, policy and compliance. The entire industry development program that included recreational and commercial fishing and aquaculture will cease to exist. To be precise, freshwater fishing has been completely gutted by the LNP Government.
    Mr Les Kowitz, Executive Officer of FFSAQ explains that because of these budget slashing’s, local community and voluntary fish stocking groups that relied on a contribution from Fisheries Queensland to enhance their local fishery have now been left out to dry by the LNP. The very survival of these groups must now be in jeopardy.

Activities no longer resourced by Fisheries Queensland include:
    1. The Recreational Fishing Enhancement Program (RFEP) will cease to exist, which means that fingerling grants will no longer be available to stocking groups
    2. There will be no further freshwater fish stocking workshops
    3. The position of Manager for Recreational Fisheries no longer exists
    4. As there are no Fisheries Extension Officers remaining, service delivery and assistance to stocking groups has ceased
    5. The Fishcare Volunteer Program has ceased
    6. Fishway and waterway barrier works teams have been made redundant
    7. The Habitat Assessment and Monitoring team no longer exist
    "What this means is that there will be virtually no avenue within Fisheries Queensland to assist community fish stocking groups with routine operations to maintain basic service delivery, and certainly nothing for future enhancement" Mr Kowitz said.

Fisheries Queensland has advised that the Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS) will continue to operate as per current arrangements.
    Mr Caddy said "That this decimation of assistance to the freshwater sector was clearly a kick in the guts for regional communities. These voluntary organizations have worked tirelessly over the years to enhance their local fisheries and thereby improve their lifestyle and social values whilst at the same time adding to the local economy of their area. To be now treated in this manner is deplorable".
    "The LNP Government has now a lot to answer for" Mr Caddy said.
    Contact for enquiries: Robin Caddy (FFSAQ President) 0408 015001
    Les Kowitz (FFSAQ Executive Officer) 0438 631191
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Representing Queensland’s Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Associations.
    Postal Address: Phone: 07 41631191
    PO Box 311 Email: exec@ffsaq.com.au
    Nanango Q 4615 Web: www.ffsaq.com.au
    ~~~><))))*>

A couple of issues I think really need explaining are how can Newman and his Fisheries Minister wind up fisheries enhancement programs "to achieve savings" when some of those programs are fully funded out of the PPV component we pay with our boat regos? Also how can closing down 3 regional Boating and Fisheries Patrol offices be inline with their claim of increasing the compliance effort?
    ~~~><))))*>

Mike,

"Also how can closing down 3 regional Boating and Fisheries Patrol offices be inline with their claim of increasing the compliance effort?"

There is a simple answer to this,....with no one looking at compliance any more there will be less compliance issues ( due to lack of staff to find any) which in turns means that there will be less stats showing up these compliance issues so it will look like problem solved ...

so the Minister will be able to stand up in parliament in future and state that due to their efforts/policies there are less compliance issues so all is better and well etc etc
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    A couple of issues I think really need explaining are how can Newman and his Fisheries Minister wind up fisheries enhancement programs "to achieve savings" when some of those programs are fully funded out of the PPV component we pay with our boat regos? Also how can closing down 3 regional Boating and Fisheries Patrol offices be inline with their claim of increasing the compliance effort?
    Well said Mike, so much for the tourism element of the LNP "four pillars" policy.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

So the SIP fee stays.
    What will it do??

No matter what interest you have, if it's in QLD, the interest seems to be in tatters.
    No matter what essential services you need in QLD it seems to be tatters. (prime example is rural volunteer fire brigades)
    How long will it be before a death will occur as a direct result of Can-Do's cuts?

I'd really like to hear what Mark or Timmy have to say about all these cuts.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

anyone that answered yes to the question on this thread really needs a reality check.

Having just received a reminder for SIP fees, one is a bit reluctant to pay up for fear of the money going into Can do's coffers.
    Does anybody know where the money will be going, as I am only to happy to pay if it is directed to right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Having just received a reminder for SIP fees, one is a bit reluctant to pay up for fear of the money going into Can do's coffers.
    Does anybody know where the money will be going, as I am only to happy to pay if it is directed to right people.
    That is a good point ..... I know mine will be due soon
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

As far as I know the SIP will stay as is, ATM it's covered by legislation (for what that's worth with such a big margin in Parliament). At least 75% of SIPs money must go to impoundments in that program with no more than 25% used by the State gov for admin costs. That will mean the SIP dams like Mondy, Somerset, Borumba ect will get still some money for fingerlings.

The problem is the SIPs only covers 33 of Qld's 70 stocking groups so there's a bloody lot of waterways that use to get much of their fingerling money off the NOW CLOSED DOWN Government's Recreational Fisheries Enhancement Program, paid from OUR PPV component of boat regos.

And we now hear $2 mil of our PPV (meant to improve our Qld fisheries) will be going into consolidated revenue.

I recon Fitzy could give a 100% accurate account of what's happening in reguards to Sips and non-SIPs fingerling stoking.

NOT at all

Well to take care of waterways and rivers in SEQ subject to new development in their catchment, has been around for a while and is a good thing.

A high paying job for me would suffice.

Though I did inquire about a job recently and the guy ended the conversation with "MmmKay".

Dan

Funny you say that MRD. I reckon aside from the glasses Can Do is a doppelganger for Mr Garrison

Firstly, it's a three year Electoral cycle, so no one's judgement is required until the end. It hasn't been long yet and I think the Government has bigger... um... fish to fry, if you'll pardon the expression. Given we are not at the top of the list, is it surprising not much is happening, 6 months in? Not really, unless you have unreasonable expectations.

Second, Mark's comments/announcements here were always predicated on the idea that he would end up as Fisheries Minister. He didn't, so it's a wee bit rough to judge him on that front. I know he pointed that out quite a few times, but it's clearly convenient to forget that sometimes and some people just love to ignore facts when it comes time to criticise (all the time for some trollies, geez, get back under your bridges will you?). He IS working hard to get some results for us, but so many choose not to see that, or to accept it. Give the guy a break, he deserves it.

Third, as BigE pointed out, NOTHING has happened. That at least is good.

There may be a fourth and fifth, too, but I'm full as a boot after an afternoon sailing and drinking, in the hands of a very good Skipper.

And as a sixth, I haven't voted in this poll, sorry to disappoint. So if Mark hasn't, how many evil disagreers with the rusted on Labor looneys are there out there? Call that a stick in the ants nest. I'll come back and check the faux offendend responses in six months or so. It's all the effort they're worth, and I have many better things to do, dinner guests are due now.

Little wonder they haven't said why, given you lot are like Oprah on a baked ham when anyone disagrees with you.

Oh an edit. Champagne, you know... It is very, very difficult to ask for a reduction in Green Zones. The process is a bitch. Asking for the impossible, then blaming the LNP when you don't get it is unreasonable/expected - whichever way you want it. Access to them is the only issue worth spending breath on. Talk to McVeigh about it. Loud and often. If you're not doing that, you're just a whinger. Plenty of those here, right?
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Firstly, it's a three year Electoral cycle, so no one's judgement is required until the end. It hasn't been long yet and I think the Government has bigger... um... fish to fry, if you'll pardon the expression. Given we are not at the top of the list, is it surprising not much is happening, 6 months in? Not really, unless you have unreasonable expectations.

Second, Mark's comments/announcements here were always predicated on the idea that he would end up as Fisheries Minister. He didn't, so it's a wee bit rough to judge him on that front. I know he pointed that out quite a few times, but it's clearly convenient to forget that sometimes and some people just love to ignore facts when it comes time to criticise (all the time for some trollies, geez, get back under your bridges will you?). He IS working hard to get some results for us, but so many choose not to see that, or to accept it. Give the guy a break, he deserves it.

There may be a fourth and fifth, too, but I'm full as a boot after an afternoon sailing and drinking, in the hands of a very good Skipper.

And as a sixth, I haven't voted in this poll, sorry to disappoint. So if Mark hasn't, how many evil disagreers with the rusted on Labor looneys are there out there? Call that a stick in the ants nest. I'll come back and check the faux offendend responses in six months or so. It's all the effort they're worth, and I have many better things to do, dinner guests are due now.

Little wonder they haven't said why, given you lot are like Oprah on a baked ham when anyone disagrees with you.

Oh an edit. Champagne, you know... It is very, very difficult to ask for a reduction in Green Zones. The process is a bitch. Asking for the impossible, then blaming the LNP when you don't get it is unreasonable/expected - whichever way you want it. Access to them is the only issue worth spending breath on. Talk to McVeigh about it. Loud and often. If you're not doing that, you're just a whinger. Plenty of those here, right?
    Yep ..... sounds like a bloke who has been on the turps

What rock have you been under Timmi ? - if you hadn't noticed or should I have said wanted to notice ........ fishing outcomes have declined under this new government that has bigger fish to fry .... but they had time to gouge the PPV/RUF , remove a raft of funding for various fishing programs/freshwater stocking / tagging , cut research , close down fisheries offices ........ & yes they still have nearly 30 months to do more
    So the statement "nothing has happened" is so far off the mark - it's laughable ....... Cando is making his mark alright - someone should take one of those four pillars & shove it where the sun dont shine.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO