Thread: Mud crabs in the Keppel Islands?

Mud crabs in the Keppel Islands?

Has anyone caught any mud crabs in the Keppel Islands? I am going up for two weeks and debating about whether or not to take some crab pots with me to try for a few muddies. I imagine that the Muddie's as the name suggest would only like tidal muddy swampy areas which I don't think that the Keppels have as they are either sandy or rock.

If not I will leave the pots behind and have more room on the boat.

Re: Mud crabs in the Keppel Islands?

Mate on Leeky's beach northern end is a large mangrove system worth a drop there are some in there at times
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Has anyone caught any mud crabs in the Keppel Islands? I am going up for two weeks and debating about whether or not to take some crab pots with me to try for a few muddies. I imagine that the Muddie's as the name suggest would only like tidal muddy swampy areas which I don't think that the Keppels have as they are either sandy or rock.

If not I will leave the pots behind and have more room on the boat.
    Hi I would leave your pots behind, I virtualy grew up on the keppels and leaks creek was the go years ago, but being only a small system it has been many years since mudcrabs are there in any multitude. The locals keep what small numbers are still there down to a minimum. If you want to take a pot try the first channel to the left and watch the rocks on the left as you go into the creek, Cheers Pete

Thank for the info fellas, just did a Google Earth search and it does look like a very small tidal system, so I won't take them on the boat but will leave them in the Jeep in case I change my mind or if I come across another area on the way home which looks promising, I will most likely go back to the mainland every 3-4 days for supplies so I can grab them if I want.

Looks like the Keppels have some nice beaches, I haven't been there for about 40 years so looking forward to the trip.

Cheers

Ed.

Port Clinton has some nice spots google earth it mate about 70 km north if u keen on a crab and camp
    Jt
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Try cooramin creek its a very big system the crabs are running there at the moment caught 9 yesterday, There is a camping ground there and a nice holiday cottage if you dont want to camp. Its only 20 mins drive from rosselyn bay. As for beaches I dont know where you are staying but check out humpy island on the south side of the island, good anchorage beautiful beach with picnic tables and toilets, showers, 15 minutes run from main beach keppel island, cheers pete