Thread: Small electric motor on Kayak/Canoe/ Plastic Blow up, needs a Licence in SA? in Qld?

Small electric motor on Kayak/Canoe/ Plastic Blow up, needs a Licence in SA? in Qld?

18months ago I purchased a small (plastic) blow up boat and the smallest water snake motor along with a battery from a national organisation, no boat licence was required at the time ( I checked independently).

About 6 weeks ago a neighbour purchased a Tender type blow up boat and he was told with an electric motor you did not need a licence (also by a national retail org), he rang the SA Register of Motor Vehicles (Or what ever they call themselves nowadays and was told that he needed the boat to be registered if it had a motor attached.

I rang them up and was told than any canoe/kayak/small blowup boat needed to be registered if it had a motor ( no matter how small), in addition you need a boat drivers licence, this is not a problem since we have a half cabin. (and what about the fire extinguisher in the canoe/kayak/small blow up)

Can Anybody shed any light on this boat licence issue in SA and in Qld since I would like to take the blowup and motor and tour along some QLD rivers ( at a fast walking pace)when we are up there in October.

Peter

Re: Small electric motor on Kayak/Canoe/ Plastic Blow up, needs a Licence in SA? in

No licence or rego required in Qld.
    Over 4hp motor requires rego.
    Over 6hp motor requires licence.
    Your watersnake runs at about 1/4 of a hp.

Re: Small electric motor on Kayak/Canoe/ Plastic Blow up, needs a Licence in SA? in

No license or rego is needed in NSW or Qld, SA and Vic your boat needs rego , the ACT you need neither but you have to have a safety inspection. I'd be very surprised if you need a licence for a less than 4hp but who knows as a lot of regulation don't make a lot of sense to me these days.