Thread: How to get into the fishing industry Sunshine Coast?

Lightbulb How to get into the fishing industry Sunshine Coast?

Hi all,

I am new to the forum as a member but have been reading the threads for a while as I love fishing! I have recently been retrenched from my job and am looking at a career change. I live in Mooloolaba and am interested in getting into the fishing industry so that I can do something I love as a living! Does anyone know of courses I can do to better my chances of getting into the industry or internships etc? I constantly look on the job boards but thought it might be better asking you guys about any hints!!

I'm hard working and pick up new skills easily!

Cheers guys

Re: How to get into the fishing industry Sunshine Coast?

What side of the industry do you wish to work, tackle sale, boat sales, boat building, working on a charter or work boat etc.

Mark

Sorry I should of clarified in my original post Mark, I'm looking at working in a hands on type of role like boat building or charter/work boats.

You can try the bigger charter boats. I think Fish and Crab wanted a deckie when I was last looking at their website. Only thing is you will only be paid on the days you work or maybe a maintanence day here and there and dirt money. No way you could live solely on it. As an example, I only do about 120 trips a year as that is all the weather lets me do. Do you think you could live on say $150x120? You could get a job on a longliner. Starting out they like pay you $100 a shot. You might do say 10 shots in a 14 day trip. After a while you would get on percent of the catch like most fishing jobs. The trawlers here would also be looking for the odd deckie here and there. Just walk the docks and ask around. They would be on percent catch and maybe your food comes out of your profit each trip. The only thing is, once out as sea you cant spend any money. The commercial fishing jobs will give you valuable good seatime for doing your tickets though. Worth doing it for a couple of years then get into tugboats or similar at one of the coal ports. Then you are into the triple figure salaries. Boat building I dunno. In these tough times I don't think they would be putting on "geeks off the street". Most guys working for Kevlacat/Noosacat etc. would be tradesman, boat builders, cabinetmakers, trimmers etc. anyway.

Give Jason a call at" Offshore Marine Master"at caloundra npt shore if he is looking for anyone at the moment but worth a try.
    Jason will be only looking for trustworthy hard working people local is good.

Mark

I also live on the Sunnycoast and have spent time in the boating and fishing industry. The money is usually really average and job security is always a concern. Its a very unstable industry. I have found that turning you passion / hobby such as fishing into you day to day job is not always the best idea! Of course some people will disagree as there are always exceptions. You CAN get too much of a good thing, and it turns you off the very thing you thought you would never get sick of. Sometimes you should keep your passion /sport/hobby just what it is and not ruin it by trying to make it your job as well.. Thats just my personal experience..... Cheers

Hello Luke,
    Just go for a walk down to the trawler area and talk to people....
    good luck
    randell