Thread: Trailer almost stolen Scarborough boat Ramp

Trailer almost stolen Scarborough boat Ramp

A couple of Tuesdays ago went fishing and put the boat in a the Scarborough ramp over the the over side from the VHF mob!! Went pretty early, back about 2ish. I didn't notice anything wrong or missing at 1st but I struggled with winching the boat up, I noticed I had some movement at the winch and didn't pay much attention more worried getting it up and away!! on and strapped down and away, driving along had a bit more noise from the trailer pulled over a couple of times I was buggered so just thinking its just me. Washed it down at the car wash and found the front front wobbly wheels were out of whack and looked as the boat was back more on the trailer!! I'll check that out when I get home. When I got time checked it all out, now the front post where the winch connects to bolt lower down was missing, also the winch was loose they got as far as the burred over thread and slapped 1 bolt and bent the other!! the u bolts holding the post to trailer were loose hence the boat sitting back more, shit maybe everything just came loose and banging around?? checked out the lock to car it's all bent up also and the trailer ball was half undone!! so I,m not sure if this stuff came loose or some someone wanting the trailer, its a rusty old trailer not worth a real lot compared to the other ones there!! thinking about it more a couple of things I did noticed coming in. As I was coming in a the 6 knots zone a bloke was on his mobile phone half hanging out of a car paying a lot of attention to me and race off!! and noticed the same car over the over side near all the cars and trailers and bolted as I got closer to the ramp a "red shit box Laser"??? as I said before I didn't notice much at the time but thinking about it a few things were sus!! anyway has anyone had problems there before and I suppose just letting everyone know about it. It always in the back of mind that these shit heads know your out and away from your car & trailer for a while and get in there and steal everything that,s not "bolted down" well needs to be welded down for crying out loud. Does this happen at most ramps or are there ones more then other. I've have a idea how to fix it next time.
    Steve
    Racing Steve

Re: Trailer almost stolen Scarborough boat Ramp

I have had problems at the Scarbie ramp (next to the Coast Guard), I had an attempted steal of my jet ski and trailer but saw the guy, we chased and got it back (see my story in Lost Stolen menu) - I now have locks on the trailer for boat and ski, both are insured but you only get 80% back if no lock on the trailer.

I think they need a camera at that ramp, donate one to the coast guard and have it set up on the car park.

Went fishing a couple of weeks ago and launched at manly my winch post was loose when I returned didn't think much of it till I read this. The bolts were still in there holding the post but the post had dropped so maybe just came loose. Which reminds me I better fix that when I get home.

Never had any issues at scarborough. Its a shame that these scum target the everyday bloke just trying to have a fish. Donation of a camera sounds like a good idea

What is the point of loosening bolts ?
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Why is the point of half the crap people do??
    Could have been to annoy me. As bolts don't mysteriously loosen. Or do they?? Mystery for the ages.

Sounds like if a concerned citizen found a would be thief with their hand under a wheel they where trying to steal they should call the police before it gets dark, just not sure what day

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    What is the point of loosening bolts ?
    Maybe they were just after the winch post. I was told recently that a lot of these common parts are nicked by young folk sold to dealers who sell them at the weekend markets.

The kid gets $20 and the dealer takes the rest.

Or possibly they are trying to create a news item... Boat Falls On Highway type thing. As ridiculous and stupidly dangerous as that sounds, its the same mentality that drops rocks on to vehicles from overpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Or possibly they are trying to create a news item... Boat Falls On Highway type thing. As ridiculous and stupidly dangerous as that sounds, its the same mentality that drops rocks on to vehicles from overpasses.
    Happened to me, some one pulle the pin out of my hayman reece and if my mate hadn't of noticed I would have driven off with a boat and trailer going backwards at a great rate of knots (no pun intended). It may have been an attempt to remove the trailer as it was secured by a special lock but the former scenario seems more likely.

at our local ramp...my old trailer had split pins holding the rollers on...everytime i went out i would come back and a roller or 4 or 6 pins would be missing...even double checked after parking to be sure i wasnt going crazy....new trailer they are bolted on and never had troubles again...