Thread: Urgent attention needed regarding access to billies bay at lake wivenhoe

Urgent attention needed regarding access to billies bay at lake wivenhoe

I've just been informed that Somerset Regional Council are tomorrow voting to close the bridges on the Billies Bay / Hayes Landing road.

If this motion is passed, this will mean an end to all boat access to the northern side of Lake Wivenhoe.

I urge everyone to telephone and email all of the Somerset Regional Councillors asking them to keep this important access point open.

The clock is ticking, time is of the essence. Please make an effort to keep this important boating and fishing access point open.

http://www.somerset.qld.gov.au/councillor-profiles

Dale Sinclair
    President
    Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association

Re: Urgent attention needed regarding access to billies bay at lake wivenhoe

Mate, how did they go?

Bridges recieved a stay of execution. Temporary maintenance which will see the bridges remain open for 1-2 years. Well done to those who phoned and emailed local councillors. You've done something positive for your own fishing future.

Those who couldn't be bothered to do anything benefit as well I guess.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Just goes to show pollies can be influenced if there is enough pressure applied.
    Every email or letter that was sent helped to bring about that influence.
    It does point out how important that we have our say as and individual and as a group.

Bad_Bazza

Excuse my ranting I'm not trying to hijack this topic but very annoyed with that bridge closure propsal.

If I'd known about this earlier I too would have voiced my concerns in person. Has there been any media coverage of this? I have not seen anything about it in local papers or any news reports on TV of late. I'm in the SE Qld Brisbane area.

I have a SIP to fish all dams except those that cannot be fished.

Has the Brisbane Valley Sailing Club got anything to do with this?

It annoys me that they secured a site at Billies Bay ( a public asset of SEQWater ) and one has to pay a yearly fee and a key deposit to access the area just to fish landbased.

Billies Bay area had good spots to catch garfish (before the drought and before the flood). I don't have a boat any longer. Good for club members with vessels but sort of discriminates against those that dont have boats but have permits and still require to pay full fees as if they have a boat.

What is the real reason why they (Local Government) want to close the road permanently? Someone knows but not saying I'm sure.

Bondy

The "real" reason is that the bridges have become unsafe according to Council specifications. The Council listened to those of us who appealed to them and have kept the bridges open with a lower speed limit and weight limit. They could have just closed them without notifying anyone.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

aussiebasser,

Thanks for that Dale. Sometimes council says one thing and means something else.

Has anyone asked for an bridge engineers report from Council? (whether they would provide a copy would be another thing ) . There is only one bridge as far as I'm aware of that goes to Billies Bay apart from the bridge on the mainroad. Perhaps Brisbane Valley Sailing Club should pay costs towards repairing or upgrade the bridge in concern as they appear to be the main users of Billies Bay and Hays Landing. They got a good deal from SEQWater to have exclusive rights to that area then perhaps they can cough up with the dosh from membership fees.

On a seperate note, I'm not hijacking this thread but on the saltwater side.

I'm fighting local council to reinstate a fishing pontoon which was removed from a river, council said it was placed in the wrong spot and caused errosion of the embankment...Gold Coast City Council had done all the checks and fullfilled the requirements by law and the spot was ideal...Logan City Council said differently and never told anyone and completely removed the entire structure out of the water over a few months. Only found that out by chance when walking the isolated area.

Moderator, please feel free to move this statement to another section if need be.
    Bondy

I was given a copy of the Engineer's report on the two bridges.

This is the official reply I received from the Council

Mr Sinclair,

In response to your email to the Mayor dated 11 September2012.

A report was prepared for Council’s consideration, whichcontained information concerning the deterioration of the timber bridges onHine Road.

This report detailed the extent of the deterioration andalso contained of some short term holding works that may be used to providesome restricted access across the bridges.

These works were approved and will enable the bridges tostay open with the 5t load restriction remaining and a speed limit of 20klm.

This action was taken in an attempt to maintain access untilseqwater finalises the recreation strategy for the dam.

Your interest in access to Billies Bay is noted, howeverwhen my inspector advises me that they consider the bridges can no longer beused safely or if further deterioration is evident, I will have no otheralternative than to close the bridges.

I hope you understand that safety will be my onlyconsideration at that time.

Dale

Looking at google map, you could cross the creek a few metres upstream from the bridge where there seems to by a lot of gravel.

Google maps can be quite deceptive I guess
    Dale

True, in that area, I'd expect them to be 2 or more years old!!

So that would be showing Lake Wivenhoe at much less than 100% capacity. Last time I drove over those bridges the water was touching the boards and was about 6' deep.
    Dale

Yeh Dale,
    I think it was July (just after the last good lot of rain) I went in there and there was at least a foot of water over the bridges themselves. They would have to think about an access point above the Somerset road bridge to make it work without doing a lot of work on the bridges themselves but it all costs money!

Bad_Bazza

Thanks Dale,

Thanks for that regarding Engineer's Report. Llooks like in reality it's SEQWater that's behind the closure, Council seems to be just the messenger.

Bad_Bazza,

I'd like to know where the money goes that's been paid to SEQWater for use of Billies and Hays by the Sailing Club.
    I was under the impression it was to cover entrance and amenities of that area. I could be wrong.

Bondy