Thread: using soft plastics in inland rivers

using soft plastics in inland rivers

Hi Guys
    I am relatively new to the soft plastics form of fishing and was thinking of trying them in some freshwater rivers (Murrumbidgee/Lachlan).The bait fishing is usually pretty quiet and wanted to try new techniqes. The water quality is usually fairly muddy and the species I wanted to target was mainly cod (when in season), yellow belly, and redfin in the lakes (which are usally clear). There is also a lot of structure in these rivers.
    Any help regarding colours, brands, different styles of plastics or any other info would be greatful.

Deka

Re: using soft plastics in inland rivers

Hi deka,
    I have had a bit of luck with the river2sea standing yabby 50mm and gulp has a worm that resembles a small beach worm that works well on yellas(lost the packet and cannot recall the name)
    Use some of the off the shelf attractants.
    The standing yabby works well if you cast it across logs and structure and wind it back in slow and deep.
    Steve.

If the visibility is poor than you are probably better off fishing with spinner baits, hard bodies, vibes etc. you want something that flashes/makes noise so the fish can find it. I find soft plastics are better in clear water where some finesse is required

Thanks guys
    This info is really helpful as i haven't that much experience with lures, soft plastics etc i usually just bait fish. We used to have good sucess with the bait fishing years ago but they seem to be either harder to catch or the carp are too thick and keep taking the bait.