Thread: Summer whiting

Summer whiting

With whiting season just about here again I thought I would ask fellow Ausfishers what there favourite rod blank and reel is for whiting fishing.

Re: Summer whiting

complete opposite of what you want in any other rod

soft and floppy and long

sounds terrible

Yep same as trueblue when baitfishing. Resting against the transom waiting for a big gold bar to contort it into a very wrong looking bend. Ben

I most definately agree with you Trueblue you do want a long soft whippy rod for whiting fishing as it helps detect the sometimes soft timid bite of the whiting and the long rod length acts as a big shock absorber when the whiting takes a run usually right at the boat. My favourite rods are the Snyder Glas CR126 one piece and the Crusoe island 10'6 one piece as well as Gary Howard club light in 10'6 matched with Alvey side cast 6 inch.

Crusoe 10'6 as well and the extra light Contessa as well
    Tangles KFC

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tottally agree with the long and bendy thin rod. I use a 8ft 6in Wilson Capri with 6inch plastic yellow alvey.... They catch themselves on this... its my favorite rod.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Gruntahunta dont you find a 8'6 rod a bit short and stumpy? or is this particular wilson rod light and whippy?

Another vote for the Synder Glass Crusoe island. Got it this year and cant believe how far it can fluck light baits like yabbies w its flexibility.

Gary Howard Happy Hooker a close 2nd.

Gary Howard happy hooker what lefty do they come in how many wraps?

I fish a lot for big summer whiting, and this year since Mayday have nailed some great hauls.
    For me, IMHO I simply cannot see the point in fishing from a boat with a really long rod, or an alvey reel. Just seems so old tech for me. I never hold the rod, rest it on the side of the boat and with the very soft whippy tip detect the slightest of bites. Like you blokes I wait till the whiting bends the rod right over then lift the rod and fight the fish in.
    I use Crystal Tip PC 702NT 7ft rod, very whippy with a 2000 size spin reel and leaded with 4 or 6 lb line. Just love it
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Interesting to see so many people going for really floppy rods. I personally use a Samaki Vamp 7'6" flats rod. Casts light weights really well, trasmits bites effectively. It isn't floppy, but has a very fine tip which bends quite easily. I have caught a lot of whiting on it, but possibly not as many as others commenting here. I used to use a really floppy 2 piece rod that I brought as a combo for $40, it works well too and I have caught a lot of fish with it, but prefer the Vamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyderglasman View Post
    Gary Howard happy hooker what lefty do they come in how many wraps?
    4 wraps i think. It is about 13 years ago, not sure they are made anymore, but it has caught me a lot of whiting, and outfished mates w other rods. Butterworth rod built by Gary. A ripper.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snyderglasman View Post
    Gruntahunta dont you find a 8'6 rod a bit short and stumpy? or is this particular wilson rod light and whippy?

Snyder...I find it perfect...it is very light and whippy. I only use the lightest line I can find. My children (well when they were children) used this Rod all the time & always caught whiting and bream.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.