Thread: Superglue effects on fluorocarbon

Superglue effects on fluorocarbon

Hi guys,
    Does superglue effect the strength of fluorocarbon line, or mono line for that matter. I find fluoro line knots tend to slip more than mono, and an wondering whether a drop of superglue is the answer.
    Cav(J.C.)

Re: Superglue effects on fluorocarbon

I havnt found that to be the case.I use loctite gel.

Toddy

What knot are you using? I've had hooks straighten before my knots give...

When I used to be in sportfishing clubs years ago we used to superglue all our knots, this was before braid and fluorocarbon was in common use. Never had one fail, used to use spider hitches for doubles and albright knots for leaders. I reckon it would be fine.

Craig

Hi , thanks for the response.
    I'm using blood dropper knots on a three hook pater noster rig. If I get a big fish on the bottom hook, the loops on the upper hooks slip, or tighten up, reducing the size of the loop sometimes to no loop at all. This does not happen with mono, only with fluorocarbon.
    Cav(J.C.)

Thanks Toddy.
    Cac(J.C.)

Thanks Craig
    Cav(J.C.)

Cav I reckon do an experiment. Can't beat a real world test.

Get a couple of metres of line, tie the knot, attach a keying to the hook, bung a weight on to the key ring, tie the line to a veranda rail and drop test it.

Do the superglue thing with a similar rig and test that. If everything passing then go up in weight... May need to use a steel ring rather than a hook because hook will straighten.

Science is fun eh!

superglue has never affected the monofilament i use.

I havent had any problems with superglue but any spray lubricant such as lanox, wd40, crc etc will degrade fluorocarbon. dont get it any where near your spool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cav(J.C.) View Post
    Hi guys,
    Does superglue effect the strength of fluorocarbon line, or mono line for that matter. I find fluoro line knots tend to slip more than mono, and an wondering whether a drop of superglue is the answer.
    Cav(J.C.)
    After tying your knot, get a lighter and play the flame on the last bit of the tail.
    It forms a little lump and prevents the line slipping through the knot.

I use a slim beauty knot to join 30lb Jerry Brown braid and 40/60lb fluoro. Superglue has meant that I havn't had a leader knot failure in the kast 2 years.
    Last decent fish was a 20kg Jew off the Ballina south Wall a few weeks ago.

Regards, Rob.

yeah i have never had any knotts slip. I have gone from a double uni, now to the slim beauty. Ihave caught 2 30-35kg GTS using this knott using 20lb braid and 60lb leader. Although I must admit I have just learnt the bimini twist to an albright leader and think it s very sexy knott. Takes a bit to master but you can run longer leader and less leader changes.....be happy to hear from anyone who uses these knotts, I manly fish for barra/jacks and plastics on the reef
    Gone fishin', be back at dark-thirty!