Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust upgrade

Re: Exhaust upgrade

i got a 2.5 inch mandrel bent up and fitted to our landcruiser at a local exhaust joint for the same price as a cheap kit one off ebay which i would still have to fit and also have no warranty on fitting.

for those interested in air filters, a mate and i tested the three main types on our rally car, my mate had access to a dyno and so we tested them all back to back on the same day on the rolling road. the engine was normally aspirated. best performance was the paper, then the k&n, with oiled foam last. out on the gravel, the cheapest to maintain and best water repellent was the oiled foam followed by the k&n with paper last.

what would i use in a 4wd? oiled foam all day every day, the performance gain of paper or k&n in a 3 tonne peice of steel is insignificant compared to the water repellent properties and ease of servicing of oiled foam, you can service it anywhere with akmost any solvent and pretty much use any oil to oil it.

what did i use in my rally car? k&n but only because it provided the best compromise in performance and i serviced it enough to make it cost effective over paper, but servicing cost is more than oiled foam because you have to use the proprietry oil and cleaner.

what would i use in a normal sealed road car for best performance? paper and replace it at every service.

Can anyone tell me the benefits and downsides of a stainless exhaust over steel in longevity? Yeah i know steel eventually rusts out but does the stainless cope with turbo temps and heating cooling cycles?

Anything special to look out for with a stainless?

I am not sure about the stainless. I put the mild steel on mine, because of the fact that diesel exhausts have some unburnt fuel and oil build up and they will never corrode from the inside to outside like most exhausts do. I think that is the only benefit to having it stainless but I will stand to be corrected if wrong.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

full-racemani.jpg
    th_ExhaustTurboIACVblock026.jpg
    Turbo001.jpg

Stainless isn't bad re cycling extreme heat in turbo applications.

From top to bottom

Stainless steel turbo exhaust manifold prior to being ceramic coated - came with lifetime warranty.
    Above manifold buried in there on my latest project.
    Tial cast stainless steel exhaust housing.

Have also run stainless exhausts on my turbo cars with great reliability. Mild steel also tends to build up scale on the inside due to corrosion process over time whereas stainless doesn't so it will be a better flowing system over time.

a lot of the new exhaust tube is actually aluminium coated mild steel