Thread: Rod & Reel combo suggestions for yak fishing

Rod & Reel combo suggestions for yak fishing

Hi,

Have just bought an Espri fitted out for fishing. Now need a new rod as mine are surf size.

Any suggestions on a rod reel combo, i'll be out around Bribie, Noosa etc hoping for flatties and anything that comes my way.

Is first venture fishing off a yak so any suggestions appreciated.

Re: Rod & Reel combo suggestions for yak fishing

You can't go wrong with a 7 foot 2-4kg short butt spin rod with a 2500 reel loaded with 3kg braid. The reason i say short butt is because longer butt on spin rod can become a pain as you will find the longer but is always getting in the road and caught up on you body and cloths as you fish. I like a rod butt only 6-8 inches long.

the best thing to do is setup yak on the floor and see what is going to work for you as to what hight and reel size ( as above 2500 ) and make sure it can fit in the yak rod holders with no probs.
    just remember when you have the fish on the last thing you want is a rod that is way to long for you to get it in next to the yak
    TEAM F.C.R.

thanks guys

Barkpro,

I originally started using a 7 foot 2-4kg graphite rods and have over time downsized to a 6 foot graphite rod (Quantum Energy PT - 2-4kg). I found the extra foot of rod length became a bit of a pain controlling the fish when close to the yak. I love the Quantum 6 footer now. I've matched this with a small Penn Affinity 1000 and have 4lb braid on it. It's a great set-up that is used for bream/flathead and bass. Have caught some solid fish on this set-up...72cm flathead, 45cm bass, 35cm bream etc. And it's a set-up that I can cast all day long without getting tired. I can cast larger/heavier lures or small light lures. My approach has been "go as light as you can" and you'll catch more fish, which has been spot on. The rod cost about $100 and the reel was about the same.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================