Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: overseas internet purchase sales tax

Re: overseas internet purchase sales tax

I've bought plenty of gear from OS from snowbaord stuff to car parts, There is no justification to be 200-300% dearer for the same items here. As you have notice of recent alot of the big brand are negotiating with manufacturer to lock out parralell import, meaning you can't buy an item from US if it is available here through a distributer/retailer network.
    I'm neither smart or intelligent, but getting around this is simply organising an OS visa card with credits transfer between 2 savings accounst, and have a redirected postal address.
    Govt.need to understand you cannot legislate against the human mind.

All this would cost you $150/year to run, and share it with friends and family.
    and Gerry Harvey can go and shove it up his proverbial Ar$e.

Dont get me wrong, I love to support local industry, but there is a difference to being patriotic and taken for a fool and getting gouge.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    I've bought plenty of gear from OS from snowbaord stuff to car parts, There is no justification to be 200-300% dearer for the same items here.
    Actually there is if its 200-300% more expensive to do business. How would you like it if your employer thought the same and was able to bring in Indonesian workers ($5 per week) because there is no justification for you to be paid 1000% more than them??

As you have notice of recent alot of the big brand are negotiating with manufacturer to lock out parralell import, meaning you can't buy an item from US if it is available here through a distributer/retailer network.
    Yep agree with you there its not right.

Dont get me wrong, I love to support local industry, but there is a difference to being patriotic and taken for a fool and getting gouge.
    Yep you see all the local industry ( and boating shops as well as other retail sectors ) shutting their doors every day , most likely because they have made too much money gouging you.....

We only have ourselves and our way of life to blame for the huge cost differences here

Qlder1. The problem existed in this country is not at the shop front. But more of at manufacturing or importing stage. Alot of business will price goods as high as the market will accepts it and not what it cost and a percentage. A prime example is the Toyota hilux. Alot of car brand would falls foul. And then the short sightedness of pollies with LCT.
    Anyway we are getting away from the original discussion here,
    Business is all about adapting to your enviroments and competitions tacks.
    You can not simply ask the govt. To legislate to give you a leg up when you have fail at the basic of business managements.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

You can not simply ask the govt. To legislate to give you a leg up when you have fail at the basic of business managements.
    What if they are asking the Government to legislate so our "Import's GST Threshold" is roughly the same as every other country's in the world? Can you give me a reason why it should kick in at 20 to 40 times more that most other countries?
    ~~~><))))*>