Thread: Mack curry

Mack curry

I work with a bloke that makes mean, authentic curries, and I've taken to giving him some mackeral everytime some makes it's way home with me. In return, I get some of this awesome mack curry.
    Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any recipes for this sort of thing? As i'd love to give it a go. I know it would be easy to ask him, but I want a sneak attack kind of approach, if you know what I mean...
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

Re: Mack curry

the easiest way out of it mate is this: Get a good quality red or green curry paste from an asian grocery store. Mae Ploy imho is by far the best. Chop some onions up, fry them off then add some paste (how much depends on how hot ya like it) chuck in some coconut milk and simmer it for 15/20 mins or so. the curry should then only have about 5mins to go.. now the trick is to put the fish in so that when the sauce is done the fish is just cooked.. then you should be able to taste both the fresh fishyness of the fish and the complexity of all the curry paste.. so obviously put some basmati rice on when the curry has about 12mins to go.. the whole thing should be cooked in 25mins tops.
    I could also go on and tell you how to make the paste and get all complicated (i was a chef for 12 years) but this is how i make it and it tastes great.
    hope it helps mate
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Cheers, I will give that a go and let you know how it ends up
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

2nd the Mae Ploy curry paste. Way back when I owned a tackle store, one of my 'regular tackle store junkies' was the rep for an asian food importer and distributer. He used to slip me a tub of curry paste that he used to supply the asian restaurants with - you guessed it - Mae Ploy. If you can find a place that sells it retail....a tip is..once you open it use what you need, then put the rest in the freezer. It keeps well. I only use Mae Ploy Red, Green and Yellow curry pastes. Always have a tub of each in the freezer. You can always vary the taste of the curry you make with the addition of various fresh herbs. (kaffir lime leafs always adds freshness to a curry)

Ok so I gave this a crack tonight, remembering I am by no means a chef or even a cook and where I am, I have limited stock to choose from. I stayed very basic to see how it went and in future versions will experiment with additions.
    I got a yellow curry paste, put a few tablespoons in a non-stick frypan and heated it up, I then slowly added a can of coconut milk, stirring it around. When it started bubbling I turned the heat down, then added my diced mack (about 2cmx2cm pieces) and let it simmer. When it was almost ready I added some lentils and stirred right through. Served on some fresh cooked basmati rice and I really surprised myself, it was really nice.
    I definitely could of added some more curry and I thought the coconut milk taste was a tad too strong but I will easy fix that in future versions.
    I got a few extra dinners out of it and one will go down with a few drinky-poo's this Friday night as I watch the cows stomp the eagles good.
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated

G'day

I have tried this several times from the ABC radio website and it's pretty bloody good. I think they may have forgotten to put in garlic, I do.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/...13/3451958.htm

Cheers,

Ps My mum loved it and she's as Indian as they come.