Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: battle for wello pt lost, the WAR continues...

battle for wello pt lost, the WAR continues...

hi all. well moonlighter picked it. dont count chickens before they hatch. council officers recommendations were virtually ignored with only councillors Elliot and Hewlett supporting and the rest of council and the mayor opposing them. instead, council is now proposing a "time trial" (3 months apparently) of "shared trailer bay parking" on the row of bays adjacent to the toilet block. seems to me that is what has been going on in the whole goddamn carpark for ages now anyway.

SO, my plan from here: take photos of illegal parking EVERY weekend at the point. i am kicking myself i haven't been doing that. i would appreciate very much some assistance in this as i cannot be there all the time.
    PLEASE take some pics if you are down there and pm them to me or email me at: drandersontaxagent@gmail.com

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO YOUR BOATING MATES AND AT LEAST ASK THEM TO SEND THE EMAIL
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...rs-please-read-!!

PLEASE SEND IT YOURSELF IF YOU HAVEN'T YET.

the bbq option may well be on the table now and my thinking is australia day would make a wonderful day to stand up for our rights.

all in favour? or any alternative suggestions?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Re: battle for wello pt lost, the WAR continues...

Just call Davo...looks like we are Gonna be eating a shit load of prawns & practicing my version of the 3 P's...

BINGO

Need to write to Transport Department and Minister ASAP complaining about the lack f parking and council further corrupting that process by this decision. Local Members, newspaper letters etc. A coordinated campaign is required.

Dave, just got your pm and now have read this.

give me a call and we can talk tactics.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Should we attack this from a different angle also. Wouldn't the state govt have an obligation to provide appropriate launch facilities and parking facilities for the money we pay for trailer/boat rego? They will probably try to say the area in question is council resoponsibilty but that is not good enough. Does anyone know anything about the legislation re this? Let me know if you have any insight/knowledge about there obligations and I'll take it from there. Maybe the fishing/boating loving Mark Robinson MP who happens to be the local member would like to take it up with council on our behalf???

Heres the first thing to do - hit them with an email today saying how annoyed you are at their decision today. Do it immediately.

Something like his should do the job (feel free to copy and past the text)

Email to rcc@redland.qld.gov.au

Topic: Your decision re boat trailer parking at Wellington Pt - not happy!

Hello Councillors

The recent decision, which went against the recommendation of officers, was a slap in the face for the boating community in this City.

Already, parking available for boat parking at every single boat ramp facility in this City is below the numbers set out in the standards and guidelines set by the State Government. And now, you have made it even worse with the decision to try some form of shared parking at Wellington Pt ramp. Shame on you!

We boaties are residents too, and in addition to our rates which help cover parking at reserves such as Wello Pt, we also pay fees to Qld Transport each year, part of which goes towards boat ramps and associated facilities including car parking at boat ramps. As you know, Qld Transport funds Council to do much of this work on their behalf. So we pay for, and are entitled to get, better service on issues such as this from you, our elected Councillors.

At the previous State election before the most recent one, the voting power of the boating and fishing community saw Phil Weightman lose his seat - all because the Government wouldnt listen to common sense and did the wrong thing by our sector in the Moreton Bay Marine park rezoning.

A campaign was run to achieve that end, and will be run again if necessary if this Council fails to listen to us and take on board our legitimate requirements.

We are not asking for special treatment, we just ask that the services we are currently getting at Wellington Pt are maintained and improved, not eroded even further below the accepted standards set by the Government than they already are.

Regards
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

thanks ml. good letter mate, sent already. i have also called msq and will be talking to state infrastructure manager tomorrow. minutes of the meeting will be on councils site tomorrow so i will post a link for that too. have also been back in contact with 4bc so expect another segment on dave downies fishing program in the near future. i am still somewhat in shock. i cannot believe their own recommendations were voted against so heavily. does this mean that their own officers do such a poor job as to be ignored? cheers to councillors elliott and hewlett for their support and raspberries to the rest of em.

sounds like a blockade M&G is in order

Dave, is the shared parking a 24hour thing or after a between certain hours, eg between 1 pm and 1 am ?
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Dave, is the shared parking a 24hour thing or after a between certain hours, eg between 1 pm and 1 am ?
    bruce - they were suggesting 1pm till 10pm on the assumption that most boaties are out before then... thing is they cant even control illegal parking now, so how are they going to do it by muddying the waters further?

backhoe - all help is welcomed mate. i am not a lawyer but i will see what msq have to say about it. noticed you are not on the protest list too? should you be?

Dont shoot me...

I half suspected this result, so for a while I have been trying to think of a workable rule that would allow car parking in trailer spots when it wouldn't be a problem for boaties.

It seems to me that it's a volume thing. When the boatie volume is low then it's not unreasonable to use some trailer spots. Perhaps a quarter of the trailer spots could be marked dual use only when a counting rule allows..

Assume 60 trailer parks exist. 15 at furtherest end marked potential dual use. The dual usage stops if there are more than 33% usage of the trailer spots.

The only problem is that it is probably unenforceable without a video replay and an accurate count. It could be managed electronically by sensors in the 75% tallying the trailer count and lighting signage about dual use not available when over 33% usage. Camera records cars parking when no go is lit and they are fined.

So it's doable but only with high tech. If done without tech it could work but unlikely.

That's the best I got so far... and it's no good really. The better solution is development of the vacant area for additional parking.

Ahh well it is on then Dave mate it is a credit to you in what you are doing here. Australia day it is mate I will bring some nice big king prawns from mogans mate.

Copy of email sent to my local counciller.Mark Edwards.

Mark I am absolutely flabbergasted with your decision to support the Mayor and her cronies in their anti boating stance regarding the problems with people illegally parking in designated trailer parking bays at the Wellington Point boat ramp.
    I would be very interested for the reason of your decision to effectively reduce the already inadequate trailer parking facilities at Wellington point by introducing shared parking .
    I would also draw to your attention the inadequate monitoring of illegal parking at Wellington point over weekends. The area needs to be patrolled at least 2 hourly intervals and people illegally parked booked,
    Ray Kennedy
    6 Rustic

Court

Redland Bay.

walruslike: have spent hours on this with mates trying to nut out a solution. i dont believe there is one. well, i dont believe that there is one that council will consider to be financially viable. and the fact of the matter is that if these selfish people ignore signs now, how will further signage change their behaviour?

mick. i think this is something that is going to need to be voted on by those prepared to participate.

ray. thanks for contacting your member. mine will be receiving an email tonight with the same sort of tone.

Bring out the tyre clamps I say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    walruslike: have spent hours on this with mates trying to nut out a solution. i dont believe there is one.
    Yeah I hear you.... In fantasy land people could just use common sense and courtesy, but here in the real world that isn't gonna happen.

Why do we keep wanting more population growth? This is the result.