Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: battle for wello pt lost, the WAR continues...

Re: battle for wello pt lost, the WAR continues...

here's another vid that fell into my lap which was taken in february. i thought youtube might be an appropriate place to exhibit our councils performance.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Dave, you know I support you so please don't shoot me......

I think the video is not the one we want to be showing. In that one there are still free bays and there don't appear to be many boats. It sorta supports the councils decision.

What would be better is a video of someone preparing their boat at home (maybe in fast time lapse so it shows the prep work but isn't long and boring) then driving to Wello then unable to find a park. Maybe a boat launch then the driving around looking for a bay while the boat sits forlorn.

Unfortunately many times it's actually ok for cars to park in trailer bays because there is crap weather and not many boats. But there is no way that an unsupervised car park system can work, so we need to insist on either a managed solution via person on duty, or complete enforcement of existing regs.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Dave, you know I support you so please don't shoot me......

I think the video is not the one we want to be showing. In that one there are still free bays and there don't appear to be many boats. It sorta supports the councils decision.

What would be better is a video of someone preparing their boat at home (maybe in fast time lapse so it shows the prep work but isn't long and boring) then driving to Wello then unable to find a park. Maybe a boat launch then the driving around looking for a bay while the boat sits forlorn.

Unfortunately many times it's actually ok for cars to park in trailer bays because there is crap weather and not many boats. But there is no way that an unsupervised car park system can work, so we need to insist on either a managed solution via person on duty, or complete enforcement of existing regs.

Just my two cents.
    wl. there is ONE empty trailer bay in that vid. it was taken at 3pm. most of the lunch time rush has passed. my bet is a boatie just vacated that park. i will be down there today again and will try to get more video footage. i agree that managed parking is the only real solution. i do not want to see ignorant people being fined purely for being ignorant. stupid people do not need further woes than they already contend with. the number of people i have spoken to down there who are ignorant of the parking rules is staggering. at the end of the day, 50 or more cars with fines on their windscreens still does not help us get a park. likewise, i dont think any boatie would begrudge these people those parks on a windy day. management of the parking is obviously essential. council has been beautifying the point for years now and has failed to provide the parking to accommodate the crowds they have dragged in. this makes it councils responsibility to either keep our parks clear or employ someone on fine weather weekends to manage the parking. what they are doing will go absolutely nowhere to solving the problem that exists. i see (as predicted) that they have now realised that 11 bays wouldn't work (due to kerbing obstruction) and have now taken 12 bays. funny how local fishos know more about the layout of the point than those people who see fit to overrule their own experts.
    and dont worry about offending me mate. the more input on this, the better. i like the vid idea.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Dave, you know I support you.
    now hang on there. i've just checked my list and you dont appear to be on it??? you know you and your pink handbag would be very welcome to attend a free barby??? please text name and email address to 0423148941.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    ...... you know you and your pink handbag would be very welcome to attend a free barby??? .....
    I was starting to like that pink handbag. It's easy to find and although I used to carry nothing other than wallet and keys, these days I find I need a handbag to hold iPad, iPhone, seeing eye glasses, tablets, earphones etc.

Anyway just when I'd decided my manhood could cope with being pink and proud, my daughter went and got me a black Supre bag. So now I miss my pink bag....

And if there is a BBQ or a convoy, and if there is permission from the minister for war and finance, and if my daughters various activities that require my vehicle don't clash, and if various other family care commitments don't clash, and if it isn't going to be a militant thing (I am a peaceable bloke), then I will try to be there.

So that's a lot of ifs... That's why I won't sign up.... I am only a distant maybe.

Re the video.... Yeah I realized that it's likely the spot was gone n a minute, and also that a boat would need it soon after.... I was trying to look at it from the non boatie perspective.

Dave I really respect the way you have gone about all this... You deserve a big win.

mate. i understand many wont be able to make it on the day. that is why "potentials" are important also. i figure 1/3 wont show for a variety of reasons. there will not be a militant thing happening. pr man is too smart for that. so please send details anyway. emails will keep those interested in the loop.
    cheers

another 2 protestors signed up yesterday. 1 tax client who had a bunch of my flyers given to him and another from a windscreen flyer. totalling 60 and counting.

Page 10 of the Baydise Bulletin this morning has a small article in the Your Letters section, it says the Redland City Council's limited shared parking trail at Wellington Point Reserve has got online readers fired up & goes on to quote Ray and Angry.

We aren't fired up.., are we???...:

BINGO

1 more yesterday and another today has the total at 62 unhappy boaties to date.

Dave who do I send my details to.
    I was walking past your office on the weekend and was tempted to slide a photo of myself holding a RED under the door lol.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Dave who do I send my details to.
    I was walking past your office on the weekend and was tempted to slide a photo of myself holding a RED under the door lol.
    you could have done that mate. otherwise please text number and email address to my phone: 0423148941 or email me at daveanderson_1@hotmail.com
    cheers

thanks bruce. ok, make that 63 unhappy boaties (and another pending details will make 64). was thinking we may need an association name? how about rcscca? (redland city second class citizens association).

The Redland Times page 10, the opinion section, check out the response titled New approach to reserve parking, By Desley Horton.

New approach to reserve parking

Sept. 27, 2012, midnight
    RE the article, 'Trials to tackle parking issues' (September 21): Wellington Point Reserve is unique and was once a playground for families to camp, picnic and enjoy, and for tourists to watch the sun rise and set from the same position on the point.
    How did it become a huge parking area for boat trailers on the incorrect information of five usable boat launching ramps?
    There is almost nothing left on the point to relate to its history.
    These trailer spaces are rarely completely utilised perhaps about five times a year. When they are full, boaties remove their trailers and use two car parking spaces, the signage allowing them to do so.
    On these rare days, cars with boat trailers attached park along Main Road, and it is incorrectly assumed that cars are using their trailer spaces on the reserve. In fact, it is because they have used every space available.
    This trailer parking becomes self-regulating at around 11am on Saturdays and Sundays, with fishermen returning from early starts, and when the weather becomes unsuitable for boating.
    The sad part of this saga is that by 3pm on these days, the Redland City Council parking officer, accompanied by a security guard, and at times a security dog, has issued parking infringement notices to families who have parked in these empty spaces.
    As an example, on Saturday, September 22, at 3pm only 19 of the 75 spaces allocated for trailers were occupied, so the parking officer had a killing. This is a regular happening.
    By 3pm the whole area is empty families abandoning their picnic or celebration, so the whole trailer parking area is empty, with absolutely no possibility of being used by a boatie. What a waste! Not a good experience for tourists either.
    The parking officer is nowhere to been seen when the undesirables are using these spaces for their nightly happenings.
    It is a shame that the whole parking issue cannot be approached in a different manner with a parking officer on duty at weekends to allow the spare areas to be used, and allocate areas depending on the boating weather, as required.
    It is under-utilised by the boating public.
    I know, I live beside the reserve.
    Desley Horton, Wellington Point

Your thoughts on this?

Here is the link:http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/st...arking/?cs=220

BINGO

never let the truth get in the way of a good story hey? i have sent my reply:

re desley horton's reply 28/09/12.

firstly wellington pt has not become a huge parking area for boats based on there being 5 usable ramps. there are 2 usable ramps. the southern ramp has 4 lanes and the northern 2 lanes. maritime safety qld "recommend" 90 trailer bays for a 4 lane ramp and 45 bays for a 2 lane ramp. even if the northern 2 lane ramp were removed there are still less bays available than state guidelines recommend.

secondly, boating is a big part of wellington points history and trailer parking has absolutely nothing to do with detracting from the points history.

thirdly, this is not a 5 time per year issue. i have photos and video footage of the point parking every weekend since the end of july. there has been insufficient parking left for boaties on at least 10 weekend days since then. i am happy to provide photographic evidence to support my statement.

fourthly, it is assumed that boaties all go out in the morning and come back by lunch. again, i have photographic evidence to the contrary. even if it were only 5 times a year the weather was good for boating in the afternoon, should boaties (most of whom work monday to friday) be deprived of their parking on these "rare" occasions?

one thing i do agree on with desley is that council need to manage the parking. boaties agree it is daft to see empty spaces on windy days when tourists are looking for parks. we would have no problems at all sharing on these days. likewise it serves us no purpose at all to have 40 trailer bays filled by cars with fines on their windscreens - it doesn't free up trailer bays for parking. so why doesn't council employ a parking warden on fine weather weekends and manage the parking as people arrive rather than slapping fines on them after the event?

hopefully they will publish next week. a couple more boaties last night and we are now at 65.

another 2 signed up today - 1 of my tax clients and another from a windscreen flyer. that makes 67 and counting...