Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Stop Barra Throwing Hooks?

Re: How to Stop Barra Throwing Hooks?

thanks mate.

i'll send a pm....

thanks boys.

warti.

what is your model reel, rod and line?

SPlash

I always use harsh language....before and after the hooks are thrown.

D/Boy ...... LOL me too me too sometimes for quite a while after!

Never chased Barra, though when I fish I find the stiffer rods tend to lose fish more often to this kind of thing.
    Maybe try a rod with a slower action, where as with a stiff rod the power it exerts back on the fish also makes it easier for the fish to use it as "leverage" for want of a better word.

When a fish shakes on a softer rod it tends to absorb a lot of the friction.

Dan

Some good advice already given which will help, but realistically you also need to get used to it.

You'll never land every one you hook.
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    At best low rod angles only reduce the frequency - I've seen more than many a barra jump when the rod is plunged straight into the water .

Chris
    And thats the idea- it greatly reduces the frequency in my experience. The less jumps the less chance of a thrown hook. How long it takes to tire the fish is irrelevant to the chances of a thrown hook and with a good rod technique using sideways pressure rather than vertical you will bring the fish in quicker anyway.

I am using a 4000fj stradic, G-loomis force light 10-25lbs mod/fast action 7'3" 30lbs braid. It is a bit of a long rod but I was using it for throwing plastics for trout with a Stella attached. The Stella was overkill and heavy so I put a stradic on it. Started using it for barra and never looked back. It has a light tip but heaps of grunt. My other barra outfit is a 6-12kg T-Curve with a 300 Daiwa Luna. While the rod is a similar rating the action is heaps stiffer. I use it mainly for live baiting now. I also have a chronarch & 4-6kg tairyo nano speed for a 20lbs braid outfit for jacks,salmon small barra etc. I am addicted to barra as ou can see and go out at least twice a week.

thanks Warti.

WHy threadlines over baitcaster overheads?

Splash

Probably because at the time I didnt want to spend extra money on a bait cast outfit! I also prefer it for the ease of throwing light plastics. I think i am just comfortable with this outfit.Don't get me wrong, I still like the bait caster (chronarch) for the small creeks. Took my old man out to get a barra the other day and he was using an old okuma bait runner with a Berkeley IM6 and he caught a 93cm barra no worries. Don't get caught up on the best reels hype or the best rods hype, I have probably caught more barra on a handlines and live bait. These days I mostly lure for the fun.

thanks warti

do barra prefer any time of day to bite more often?

what is the ideal water temp for barra biting?

splash

Mate,I am no guru. I am in awe of people like johnny Mitchell etc. I just go heaps (ask my wife!). I have caught them all times of the day and night. I like the tidal changes more than anything. This year and last year I caught barra in the middle of winter with the water temp in the 17deg and 18deg area. lately around 21deg and hopefully the water will get warmer and they get more aggressive. I think the barometer has a lot to do with their feeding.

What size single hooks are best for Barra?

What size trebble hooks are best for barra?

Brands and shapes would also be appreciated.

Splash