Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big W "Rough It - Manor" Tent - Junk or acceptable ?

Big W "Rough It - Manor" Tent - Junk or acceptable ?

In the current Big W catalogue there is an 8 person "Rough It - Manor" 8 Person Tent. Has anybody got one?
    They are currently $150 (save $100), trying to determine if one will be OK for a family tent, just starting out, 2Adults + 2Kids.

Thanks,
    Scott.

Re: Big W "Rough It - Manor" Tent - Junk or acceptable ?

Hi Scott
    They are usually ok and will last if they are looked after. Would not say they are completely waterproof though. They would be light canvas so maybe not as waterproof as you would hope. Would be ok in a downpour if you had a tarp over it i reckon. For the money I can't see anything wrong with it.
    You may want to check out Outback adventures online. They have lots of tents on sale in the latest catalogue.

Cheers
    Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie, just had a quick look at Outback Adventures, there are a couple that aren't much more expensive, albeit slightly smaller though.
    Will have a good look at Big W before deciding.

Thanks,
    Scott.

Hi Scott
    Just wondering what you decided on. We have 3 tents. small one for overnight trips, larger dome that we set up under the gazebo and our big 3 room one. Now that one we bought from kmart about 6 or more years ago and its still going. We set that one up under a 24x18 tarp so if we get rain we are well covered. Tarp is larger than tent so its good. I had a gander at big w the other day and they seem ok and for the money would be a good buy. We only paid from memory about 120 for our kmart one on super special and its still ok. Comes down to how well you look after stuff i reckon.

Ronnie

I got a Kmart/big w 2 room tent make sure after every trip I set it up at home and clean/dry out completely before packing away.
    Still going strong 4-5 years later. Take care of it and it will last its also completely water proof.

Scott if you get a chance could you please let us know what you think of it after you've used it.

Scott even if as mentioned above you have to throw a tarp over when the rain is heavy its still cheap camping(you get a tent for $150 which would be lucky to pay for 2 nights in the cheapest cabin), our big sportiva was great for about 4 years and then started to leak so we just use a tarp now as size wise etc its still a great tent, we also have a black wolf fast tent for overnighters but we miss the size of the other one on these occasions.

I am hoping to get a big tent with a small ground footprint having lots of features and options that is light and small when packed and doesn't weigh much but has plenty of headroom and is easy to put up with no parts that rust while being completely waterproof in a storm without needing a tarp and that stands up well to storm force winds and is very cheap to buy.

Should be easy eh?

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    I am hoping to get a big tent with a small ground footprint having lots of features and options that is light and small when packed and doesn't weigh much but has plenty of headroom and is easy to put up with no parts that rust while being completely waterproof in a storm without needing a tarp and that stands up well to storm force winds and is very cheap to buy.

Should be easy eh?
    No problems and all for $19.99 right? lol

Yes mate... I am prepared to go that high....

Nah I reckon he will pay the full $20.00

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Yes mate... I am prepared to go that high....
    Get one for me too then huh lol.

The tent looks good for the money but its not on special anymore.

We went away camping to Somerset Dam last weekend and the tent we took was a bit big for just the two of us. That one looks a good size so there is still enough room to store our gear, will have to keep an eye out for the special again.

Hi
    couple of pics
    Dome tent is Kmart special 69.00. Fits double air bed, clothes bags etc. You can also stand upright. Big tent is also kmart- has floor , two rooms and detachable fly on front. Covered by tarp it is great-- From memory was 129.00 on special. I know Outback has similar domes for 99.00.

Ronnie

Attachment 84139[ATTACH=CONFIG]84140[/ATTAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi Scott
    Just wondering what you decided on.
    Ronnie
    I ended up talking myself out of it, didn't even get in for a look (partly due to time constraints also though), did think that the 8 person size may be overkill too. Planning on looking at those couple of boating and camping places soon to get a better idea of required size and preferred design, at least I will be able to see a few that are up already rather than trying to buy one straight off the shelf that I haven't seen out of the packet.
    Scott.

Yeah I felt the same way Scott. One thing I have noticed though is that the person who designates the capacity of the tent is the same bloke who reckons my works lift can carry twenty people.

I've been in it with ten other people and we all got a lot more intimate than I normally do with the missus. How we could fit another nine people is a fascinating exercise for the imagination.

If there were eight people sleeping in that tent, and one of them was me, I reckon seven would be wishing we had bought the thirty person tent.